Should Wetherspoons be Renamed?

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Should Wetherspoons be Renamed?

• Author

Captain C
    Participant

I did some of my Qualifications at Yale College and was proud of it. Unilevers long distance past had a dark history behind it, are you going to stop washing with Pears products. Gladstone had slaves on their plantations and then got compensated so lets pull down Hawarden Castle. It’s about time we woke up and realise that this was part of history that makes this wonderful country what it is and then stop destroying our past and then stop the bad things happening in the future. Slavery is wrong and colour does not come into that statement it happens in all walks of life. Judge people by the way they behave and not by their colour.
    Look out for each other and get on with life because one day we will all be history and in 100 years time people may not understand why we did the things we do today.

billycoen
    Participant

HBO have got rid of Little Britain and Gone With The Wind, and Elmer Fudd can’t shoot wabbits no more.

Matt
    Participant

Just read about the softer reboot of Looney Tunes, will they also be removing Wile E Coyote’s impressive arsenal of Acme missiles, TNT and anvils?

billycoen
    Participant

Nooooo,the world’s gone mad.That’s all folks.

MadMan
    Participant

You must have only read the headline they are removing then reinstating at a later with a discussion of the historical context.

As a company they have a right to include what they want on their platform called HBO Max, as they will care about their reputation.

If they completely remove the sale of the TV shows and films in all forms then that is re-writing history, we need to recognise the good and bad and learn from the horrific past and call out what happens around the world during this present time.

I don’t know why they would change the violence in Looney tunes animations unless I am completely missing something, isn’t that playing into the silly ‘Hollywood and the video games industry is to blame’ narrative that the likes of Fox News likes to churn out and not solve the real problem.

The only decent thing about the show Cops was the theme tune, it was part of the problem and as for Little Britain, that was never funny.

Councillor X
    Participant

Should we rip down the statue of the miner and steelworker on Lord Street up near my beloved “old man Spoons”?

“What life was like for children who worked in the mines during the Industrial Revolution. Huge amounts of coal were needed and

children as young as five

worked at jobs that were dangerous and exhausting. Trappers kept the airflow going which stopped the build-up of dangerous gases. Drawers dragged truckloads of coal to the surface. Older children operated the mine shaft pulleys. Pay and working conditions were poor and life expectancy short.”

zinger
    Participant

The Children’s Commission spoke with boys & girls in Ruabon & Rhos amongst others. https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/education/resources/victorian-lives/children-mines/

The statue of the miner & steelworker was created to commemorate miners not the old mine owners. Down the pit all men were equal & nobody knew the colour of the skin beneath the black dust.

Children also worked as chimney sweeps.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Good comment zinger, factual information always outways false information.

Captain C
    Participant

Both posts were factual so that argument does not hold up. Children were forced into labour in the mines, factories and farms but it was the norm in those days. Sadly slavery was the norm hundreds of years ago and it was so wrong which we all acknowledge now. Slavery still goes on today and that’s what we need to stamp out and punish the people who are guilty of practising it.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Captain C “Both posts were factual”, in what way in relation to the statue of the miner /steel worker in Lord St?

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Almost one in five people in Wales waiting to start NHS treatment

News

Wales Transport Secretary calls for targeted 20mph zones near schools and hospitals

News

Airbnb expansion exacerbates housing woes for ex-offenders in Wrexham as Rob & Ryan dodge blame

News

Friends and Wrexham AFC fans taking on walking challenge for Dynamic

News

North Wales Minister role branded as “tokenistic” by Plaid Cymru MS

News

Number of Welsh 18-year-olds enrolling at Wrexham University “down 5 per cent this year”

News