should politicians have experience of the real world

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum should politicians have experience of the real world

• Author

al simm
    Participant

This is a point of debate.Should politicians have experience of living in the real world before being allowed to take office.The House of Commons is full of soliciters, barristers, journalists and lectures,most have degrees and a substantial amount of them went to oxbridge.The vast majority are middle class professionals and a great many of them are multi-millionairs.Should we not be encouraging more working class people into the cushy little wesminister and welsh assembly love in.

Sheefag
    Participant

Yes.
    Hth,
    Love Sheefag.

IMHO
    Participant

[quote quote=169424]This is a point of debate.Should politicians have experience of living in the real world before being allowed to take office.The House of Commons is full of soliciters, barristers, journalists and lectures,most have degrees and a substantial amount of them went to oxbridge.The vast majority are middle class professionals and a great many of them are multi-millionairs.Should we not be encouraging more working class people into the cushy little wesminister and welsh assembly love in.[/quote]

It seems Farage and the Brexit Party have set out to recruit just the kind of people you suggest.

al simm
    Participant

hi imho
    farage is trying to appeal to working class people,but I haven’t seen his list of candidates for any parliamentary elections.The MEP candidates read like a gallery of ghouls with the likes of Annunziata Rees-Mogg(whose never done a days work in her life) and anne widicombe.
    Farage is just a tory,and rather than being the new force in british politics he claims to be,in reality he is very old establishment hat and should really be selling second hand cars to mug punters.

IMHO
    Participant

[quote quote=169435]hi imho
    farage is trying to appeal to working class people,but I haven’t seen his list of candidates for any parliamentary elections.The MEP candidates read like a gallery of ghouls with the likes of Annunziata Rees-Mogg(whose never done a days work in her life) and anne widicombe.
    Farage is just a tory,and rather than being the new force in british politics he claims to be,in reality he is very old establishment hat and should really be selling second hand cars to mug punters.[/quote]

A lot of Parliament and the lords read like a gallery of ghouls tbh. Like it or not, Farage is the most succesful Politician around at the moment (iknow, i know, he’s a failed MP candidate and all that but, so are many) and has been for a long time. He brought about Brexit, the others couldn’t stop him, he devastated the other parties in the Euro elections all from a standing start. Anyway, there are multiple reasons for his success and, which are the most persuasive or not depends on your viewpoint and bias. If you are likening people who support him to “mug punters” you are just continuing many of the remain voters disgraceful behaviour of insulting anyone that disagrees with them and supports Farage and Brexit. Apologies if you aren’t a remain voter but, from your comments i can only assume you are. I try to keep my arguments and comments respectful, i wish some others would do the same as it would aid discourse and help minimise rancorous division.

TimRegency
    Participant

Farage is a Tory on stilts. He wants to replace the NHS with a US style ‘you’re dead unless you’re a millionaire‘ system.

al simm
    Participant

Hi imho
    No, I am 100% brexit,but I do feel sad that farage has somehow come to be the figurehead of the leave group.I certainly wouldn’t call his supporters mug punters(i said that because his style is that of a second hand car saleman)I think everyone is totally dissilsuioned with politics.But I will admit that the combo of farage on the far right and corbyn on the far left are certainly shaking up the traditional blandness of british politics.Farage is lucky,the members of his party back him 100%,unlike corbyn who,whilst he has phenomenal support from the labour members(and the country in general) but little support from the majority of labour MPs and AMs and the media(right across the board.
    What would happen if we had a general election.??The tories will do everything in their power NOT to have an election,they know they will lose.If though one is called this year I think the brexit party would be beaten into third or 4th place,labour would win by a landslide because a GE would not be about brexit,it would be about the NHS and saving it from the privateers.

Matt
    Participant

This is precisely why a large number of people are utterly bored to tears of politics at the moment because there can’t be a conversation about it without it being about Brexit and then one side saying how disgraceful the other side has behaved. We all get dragged down into the myre over it.

Experience of the real world? Brexit isn’t the real world – whilst so called hypothetical paradigms over the best Brexit or not Brexit are being bollocked on about ad infinitum – people are still going hungry, hospitals are under staffed and under funded, so are schools, people of all ages are actually dying because an overwhelming lack of social welfare and safeguarding.

You try and discuss the root causes and someone will blame it all on Brexit to try and further their cause either because we haven’t left and are shackled to the crippling rules of the EU or because we are going to leave and end up going over a cliff edge.

So if people want real world politicians let’s first get back to talking about real world politics instead of being stuck in a pointless loop on Brexit – it’s been 3 years now.

Oh and the constant reference to appealing to the working classes is nothing but an illusory control tool used by the media to try and get everyone to fall into line. The very idea that in 2019 that there’s a block of people all of ‘working class’ stock who all think identically is absurd.

Likewise they also try and package up the middle class and tell them they must all behave in a certain manner.

al simm
    Participant

“Oh and the constant reference to appealing to the working classes is nothing but an illusory control tool used by the media to try and get everyone to fall into line. The very idea that in 2019 that there’s a block of people all of ‘working class’ stock who all think identically is absurd.”

Hi matt,I have to disagree on that. There certainly is a massive working class out there.They may not be all of the one mindset but they are certainly working class and they make up the vast majority of the population,the media trick has been to get these people to vote tory,and it has been very successful for decades.The reality is of course since the birth of new labour the working classes have not had an ally within the labour party.Corbyn is going part way to solving that problem,but the reality is the majority of his own MP’s and AM’s are busily plotting his downfall and replacing him with a bland tory lite like Starmer or Thornberry.
    I agree the brexit issue has become blown out of all proportion.The next election will be fought not on brexit,but the NHS and thats where labour should win hands down.

Ioan y Ffin
    Participant

When I last checked solicitors, barristers, journalists and lecturers were alive and well in the real world. It just may be isn’t your or my real world. There is more than one. The issue is how much experience they have of life outside of politics (party and more generally). The nature of the job of being a politician and especially an MP or AM means that a certain type of person with specific skills and experiences is bound to be more suited to it than others. The result of that is that people such as solicitors make it through (let’s be honest, if you can convince people to pay you £100 – £200 just to write a letter, then selling a manifesto to the voter or getting chosen as a candidate must be p*ss easy. Lawyers also understand legislation which is a useful attribute in the job.) while your plumber, call-centre operative and nurse don’t. To become an MP does involve a lot of ‘voluntary work’ initially and not everyone has the will or the means to dedicate themselves to that thankless task. In the recent past the trade union movement and other working class organizations provided a handy ladder for lots of working class people to become MPs, usually for the Labour Party. However that route has been closed since the 1980s as union membership collapsed. Sadly, you only have to be a member of a union to realize that today’s unions are hardly a breeding ground for future statesmen/women.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Multi-million pound investment to transform Old Library into “creative industries powerhouse”

News

The Adventure of Discovery: Why Field Trips Matter for Learning

News

Senedd rejects legal requirement for residential outdoor education in schools

News

New solar farm project planned in Wrexham could power over 22,000 homes

News

Welsh Affairs Committee Rob & Ryan comment ‘taken out of context’ says Deputy Leader of Council

News

New gym plans for Wrexham Industrial Estate could create 70 jobs

News