Shock as it is revealed Welsh First Minister is making Welsh lockdown de

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Shock as it is revealed Welsh First Minister is making Welsh lockdown de

• Author

Matt
    Participant

Here’s an idea, anyone who doesn’t like being Governed by the Welsh Government and find it so detrimental to their lives, feel free to move to England. The border isn’t that far away, we’ll let you come and visit whenever you want and even let you have a second home if you like ;)

If you think different approaches in different countries don’t work, explain the differences in cases between Spain and Portugal who share a land border.

Offa’s Dyke might be ineffective but PC plod patrolling the A55 and telling idiots with caravans to get back home does work – especially when it seems to get published in the paper the next day.

Quite frankly avoid being made into a political football and make your own intelligent decisions and keep you and your family safe by not rushing to frolic out to garden centres and carrying out ironman triathlons on your unlimited exercise outings just because it’s legal. It’s currently legal to buy and drink 5 bottles of vodka in one sitting, doesn’t mean it’s good for your health.

I’ll not be rushing out to pubs and restaurants if they get opened any time soon just because the Moguls, Millionaires and Billionaires have browbeaten the government into forced reopening putting profits and money over lives.

As Wrexview says in the other thread the R value needs to drop massively below 1 before being safe and it will be down to cautious individuals and families who remain staying away from busy public places even after lockdown is lifted to help achieve this.

If some businesses go bankrupt because people don’t visit but it saves tens of thousands of lives and prevents a second wave then so be it.

Truthbeknown
    Participant

I was born and have lived here in Wales all my life, at nearly 60 I am proud to be Welsh, but I am also proud to be British. I will not move just to suit some labour loving lefty’s who think they know what’s best for me. The “if you don’t like it bugger off” argument is a childish school ground expression used when all other reasons are spent.
    Spain and Portugal as far as I am aware do not have the same prime minister. The issue here is the usefulness of a 4-nation approach and nothing else, the UK should be guided by Westminster taking advice from Sage. If Drakeford, Stormont and her up in Scotland must make a statement then it should be after the Prime Minister has led the Uk approach, or perhaps its beyond them to work on a Sunday? and not pre-empt.
    Quite frankly I’m quite capable of looking after myself and my family thank you and my nearly 60 years has afforded me some common sense. I fail to see any logic in allowing essential trips to Garden centres and libraries while the statement “Your Government here in Wales has decided the lockdown will continue” as the R value is still to high. They fail to produce specific numbers as to where this R value is in North Wales compared to Mid or South Wales. Figures that may help in preventing firms going bankrupt and livelihoods destroyed for all.

TimRegency
    Participant

It’s the foolish rightists who fancy that they know what’s best for the rest of us in Wales, presuming to impose nasty hard-right Westminster Tory rule upon us.

zinger
    Participant

North Wales had the most confirmed cases in Wales yesterday with Wrexham having 33 which was less the half of those tested. My feeling is that the numbers are rising in North Wales.

I agree with Truthbeknown. I will rely on my own common sense when it come to venturing out. It will be a very long time before I go into a crowded environment no matter who says that I can.

I hear of supermarkets with all their excellent distancing measures & then I hear of people leaning across others to get a tin of something. There are a couple of supermarkets that my daughter won’t be going into again. Well done to that store where the all the staff walked out because the customers wouldn’t adhere to the guidelines.

TimRegency
    Participant

I shall continue to avoid supermarkets and shops for a good while, as I’ve seen at least one worrying study that found that the virus can stay in the air in these sort of environments.

Everybody using a mask would probably help too.

Btw, when the Welsh government tried to take the initiative on testing, it seems they were thwarted by Public Health England, who gazumped their Roche contract for testing kits. The WAG may be bunglers, but don’t assume that Westminster care about us.

Truthbeknown
    Participant

Tim I agree on Westminster etc, all the same.Politicians have proved time and time again they cant be trusted. My argument is we should be guided by one spokesperson with the UK as a whole.

Matt
    Participant

Truth, it’s called being flippant – nobody wants anyone to move, relax. People of all nationalities and dispositions welcome in Sunny Wales.

To me, I just find it surprising that people who are proud and Welsh seem to lack the faith in their fellow countryfolk to lead the way. I’m not saying the current Welsh administration are doing a good job, I’ve been critical of Welsh Labour for a number of years. But that doesn’t mean at some point we can’t have decent and influential leadership from our own Welsh people.

In terms of Westminster, as Tim says, on evidence there is no way that The PM and his ministers have offered any example of strong and decisive leadership during this Covid-19 crisis that might protect and save lives.

Originally following the chest thumping eugenicist line of gaining herd immunity, allowing several thousand to gather at the Cheltenham festival. Not immediately pushing lockdown when the horror show in Italy was already in full swing. Buying knock off PPE gear from Turkey – made by a Tshirt company!

Now there are some members of the Tories and the right wing press almost taking release from lockdown into fetish levels, attempting to completely derail the reduction in daily infections and death rate. They were practically cheering on people behaving irresponsibly for VE day yesterday. This will be one of those regrettable moments in a few weeks’ time when the numbers spike again. People were most definitely not socially distancing yesterday.

In terms of garden centres, England are expected to announce exactly the same rules on Sunday. I personally believe that there’s deeper collaboration than you think in terms of the decision making. However, Sturgeon is desperate to be independent and always wants to go first and to act like she’s leading the way. Then Wales has to make an announcement second so it doesn’t feel like it’s lumped in generically with England.

We are all in this together across the UK and we’ll all get out of this together. It just seems to be the case that with lockdown fatigue and boredom, old tensions are flaring up. Hence the nationalist frictions between the home nations.

Truthbeknown
    Participant

Matt, I’m relaxed thank you. If we are to be led by the Welsh Parliament during this pandemic, then we need to be convinced they are up to the task of providing good leadership. The Topic was asking if we realised where we live, we live in the United Kingdom led by the Prime Minister, and we have a devolved government who make some but not all of the rules. Nobody least of all me thinks that Westminster has got it all right and yes it is expected that England will announce similar measures. All the media should take a huge reality check and understand that the crazy headlines sprouting rubbish about easing lock-down is fuelling tensions and affecting the well being of families who are still, even Yesterday abiding with the rules. If there is collaboration and I truly hope there is, then they need to stop all the big I am attitude and announce as one Country any relevant advances we are making against this horrid disease.

JaneJ
    Participant

Surely all of the Nations Leaders should be on the podiums virtually at the same time when there are such issues of national security (as that is what the pandemic really is) – a sign of good leadership is when you recognise who is in your team. Our Leaders may be playing the same game but they have a different rule book to play by when they are on the field – imagine what would happen if all the nations had a separate rule book for playing football – yet they were all aiming to get the ball in the back if the net.

Come on politicians forget political point scoring – the specataors (ie the Public) all want to see a good game played by all sides and kick Covid into touch once and for all.

zinger
    Participant

Excellent point JaneJ. The football analogy is perfect.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Opportunity knocks for Wrexham brewery at major trade show

News

Man taken to hospital after incident at Brymbo property

News

Wrexham shoplifter jailed after city centre offences

News

Wrexham to take on Vancouver White Caps in ‘Wrex Coast Tour’

News

National Playday returning to Wrexham for a fun-filled day of activities!

News

Apartment plans for former Johnstown shop

News