Sharps, Llay

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Sharps, Llay

• Author

Sam
    Participant

As this is my post here, hi to all fellow Wrexham’ers on here :-)

Any more news / speculation regarding Sharps in Llay?

I personally know someone who worked there, GAP temp, and all that I’ve read on the www is consistent with what he told me.

I hope it’s all wrong, can Wrexham afford to lose another manufacturing company ?, or any other company ?

Rob
    Participant

Sharp Demand Drop Triggers Agency Staff Layoff | Wrexham.com Thats the update from this morning when we spoke with Sharp.

How does that tie up to what you have heard?

Sam
    Participant

I’ve just read the report and official announcements. Just as the ex employee states, no work until the end of September .
    So either we now know the x2 staff unfortunately laid off or the picture is being painted rosier than it actually is !

Jones The Computer
    Participant

Sharp globally seems to be in a mess. See below:

BBC News – Sharp downgraded to 'junk' by Standard & Poor's

cymruambyth
    Participant

I’ve been working at Sharp for a few months and the agency called on Friday night (was meant to go back in 6am on Saturday) to say that there was no more work until October at the earliest. The reason they gave was that the company had lost 6 contracts, nothing to do with market demand. Can’t say I’m surprised though, they put brand new staff on technical jobs like soldering and inspection with hardly any training at all. Turnaround was so high at that place on some shifts because people would come for their first one and leave before the end. Poor staff training and morale has cost them.

Mike
    Participant

@cymruambyth 1800 wrote:

Turnaround was so high at that place on some shifts because people would come for their first one and leave before the end. Poor staff training and morale has cost them.

Not very good to hear :(

Is that how the atmosphere has been for a while?

Sam
    Participant

@cymruambyth 1800 wrote:

Poor staff training and morale has cost them.

Thanks for the first hand info cymruambyth, but I’m afraid it sounds just like the same old Sharps. Quantity over quality. Shame.

I hope everyone effected gets something sorted asap !

cymruambyth
    Participant

@Sam 1803 wrote:

Thanks for the first hand info cymruambyth, but I’m afraid it sounds just like the same old Sharps. Quantity over quality. Shame.

I hope everyone effected gets something sorted asap !

True that Sam, quantity over quality! I used to point out faults with panels whenever I saw them, but management would overlook them and rush them through! It got on my nerves when we’d get dragged into meetings with the big bosses and given the third degree about quality control. The managers in that place need more training than anyone and they’ve still got jobs!

Most frustrating thing about this lay-off is that we had 2 weeks of no pay during the annual shutdown in July. One month later and there’s no work again! Looking for something else now, had enough of being expendable! :mad:

kalel01
    Participant

I worked there for a few months and had the phone call 2 hours before my shift not come in again i was told all agency contracts had been ended till further notice. It was exactly how others have said though we would get taken in the office and told quality, we must make perfect panels and then out on the line any old rubbish was past. I spotted hundreds of faults and was told to just pack them itl be ok but it wasnt or we would all still be working there. A friend of mine was phoned at 6:15 am to cover a shift and he told me that not a single person from wrexham was there. Every person on every line was polish. Now im not racist when i worked there i got on with everybody i just dont think its fair the only people that are left working there are polish. I worked hard the whole time i was there, never late and only had a few days off due to a death in the family. Its not fair they way polish people are always chosen first for over time, keep there jobs. the women in charge of the agency onsite are all polish, 90% of the supervisors are polish and it wasnt nice having people around you all day talking another language when they could have been saying anything.

harry
    Participant

the reason they hire the polish is they treat them like crap and the polish never answer back, basically yes men.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Turnover up 75% as Wrexham AFC say ‘losses shouldnt be repeated’ as payroll nears £7m

News

Lasit Spearheads a Clean Revolution: Laser Technology Redefines Industrial Cleaning

News

Shape Your Future: Unique Student Opportunities at Wrexham University

News

From Campus to Community: The Role of Wrexham’s Colleges in Local Economic Development

News

Beyond Academics: A Closer Look at Extracurricular Opportunities in Wrexham’s Colleges

News

Off-road motorcyclists ‘using their bikes dangerously’ warned they ‘will be seized’

News