Schools Advertising.

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Schools Advertising.

• Author

justjojo2011
    Participant

Thankfully special measures isn’t why I wouldn’t send my kids to Ysgol Rhosnesni lol. It could be the best school in Wrexham and I would never put that hell hole on my kids.

@JaneJ 17885 wrote:

The unfortunate situation in wrexham is that the two schools in Special Measures are going to see less pupil numbers as parents will vote with their feet if possible and send their children to one of the schools that are showing they are achieving with the pupils. This will have a downward spiral — less pupils equally less money to invest in inspirational teachers to drive up standards. It is a sad fact that many pupils who attend these failed schools have got to be incredibly motivated to succeed.
    (I am in no way decrying the work of some very dedicated staff who are really trying to turn the schools around but the statistics of lower pupil numbers is a massive problem to overcome as the funding to invest is lower).
    Both of the failed schools were part of the Superschool model a few years ago that sorted out the physical fabric but unfortunately due to the vast overspend the funding to invest in the staffing was reduced. I should point out that many of the Councilors in power at the time of the Superschool fiasco are still on the Council.

justjojo2011
    Participant

I would send my kids there because it is a better school that was is available locally. Also, the kids are not send there free of charge. They have to pay for the bus like everyone else.

@Andy 17867 wrote:

What happened to Children attending the nearest Government run school? I never understood Penley School. Why is there a great big School in the middle of the rural countryside where hardly anybody lives? Then all the Children are Transported in from populated areas. Many at Taxpayers expense. How much is the transport budget per annum for here? How many tonnes of CO2 are created? Green policies/Global warming? Wrexham are considering completely scrapping education transport for 16-18 year olds

Andy
    Participant

@justjojo2011 17949 wrote:

I would send my kids there because it is a better school that was is available locally. Also, the kids are not send there free of charge. They have to pay for the bus like everyone else.

I work in the Industry and I know that isn’t true for all students.

justjojo2011
    Participant

To my knowledge, of speaking to kids who are and have been students at Penley School, they have had to pay for the bus the same as everyone else

@Andy 17952 wrote:

Simon Ellis
    Participant

Apologies and confusion that this thread has become about transport and The Maelor School, Penley. I had only meant to add my thoughts to the original question regarding advertising. Transport to schools 11-16 is governed by very specific rules. These are stated here :- Transport Policy – WCBC

And as mentioned before on this thread post 16 transport is currently under review.

Hope this clears up the confusion.
    Simon Ellis – Headteacher – The Maelor School

Lemonpopsical
    Participant

@Andy 17952 wrote:

So basically those who don’t pay are:

A) those that don’t use transport (i.e walking distance)
    B) those who *have* to travel to attend their nearest school

Obviously A is moot. B is more applicable for a rural site like Penley. Though I agree pumping less pollutants into the atmosphere can only ever be a good thing, coach travel is, on the larger scale, a relatively environmentally friendly way to travel.

99DylanJones
    Participant

I am sure a school bus is better for the environment compared with the vast number of school run cars that often do needless journeys often just ‘going around a corner’. Moving larger numbers of pupils on one vehicle has got to be less pollution.
    Re the transport to Penely – parents have to pay for any child not in the defined catchment area with the exception of 6th Formers which is free.
    Choice for parents may be free but accessibility may not be as they can’t afford the transport cost.

Maureen Gray
    Participant

I may be an old fuddy duddy and make things up, but the Council’s policy is crystal, FREE Transport to the nearest school, but only where the school is 3 miles from the pupils home address.
    Simples.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Almost one in five people in Wales waiting to start NHS treatment

News

Wales Transport Secretary calls for targeted 20mph zones near schools and hospitals

News

Airbnb expansion exacerbates housing woes for ex-offenders in Wrexham as Rob & Ryan dodge blame

News

Friends and Wrexham AFC fans taking on walking challenge for Dynamic

News

North Wales Minister role branded as “tokenistic” by Plaid Cymru MS

News

Number of Welsh 18-year-olds enrolling at Wrexham University “down 5 per cent this year”

News