Schools Advertising.

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Schools Advertising.

• Author

Andy
    Participant

Yesterday I noticed an Advert for Ysgol Dinas Bran on the back of the LLangollen bus.
    Why on earth is a school advertising itself?
    In this age of Austerity, why waste funds like this?

AMA Express
    Participant

You need to get out more. Lots of schools, colleges and academies throughout the UK place adverts on public transport.

justjojo2011
    Participant

Parents face a tough choice these days when deciding on the most suitable secondary school for their children. Advertising on the bus is a way to get people to consider their school. Their ultimate aim, however, is to get parents to send their kids there. For some parents, if they don’t see the advert, they would never even have thought about Ysgol Dinas Bran as a possibility for their child

Andy
    Participant

The world has gone bonkers! Schools spending Taxpayer’s money to compete with each other! Whatever next?

JaneJ
    Participant

Unless you are completely new to an area your children will have been in the school system for six years which surely is plenty of time for them to consider which Secondary School to send their child. School gate gossip is one of the biggest influences not a bus advert plus the historical information on were previous pupils from a primary school have gone.
    The final choice for those parents who really care for their children will be out of the school choice which ones are in special measures or low exam results. I appreciate that both Ysgol Clywedog and Rhosnessni High School are working hard to increase standards but the reality is they are still in Special Measures so any town centre parent either sends their child to one of these ‘poor – but improving schools’ or pay for transport to one further away– definitely not an easy choice when it come to the cost of transport.
    A cynical view as well is that every child has a financial value so schools will chase numbers.

Mrs Crewe
    Participant

I did really consider which secondary school to send my daughter to, and I sent her to one in England as I wanted her to get a good education. The state of education in Wales is another example of the uselessness of the Welsh Assembly. Devolution has brought Wales nothing but harm.

Sheefag
    Participant

Ah, but it does mean they can no longer blame the English for local and national failure any more so it’s not a total waste.
    Everything is the fault of ‘That Lot’ in Cardiff these days.

Simon Ellis
    Participant

As a Headteacher in Wrexham (Maelor School – Penley) I do agree that it makes much more sense to spend money on improving the educational experience of a student than advertising. Sadly the economics of competition means that there are distinct advantages to having more pupils.
    In my opinion advertising school open evenings so that parents can have a look for themselves is enough.
    As for education in England vs Wales it really does depend on the school. I am seeing a big increase in applications from pupils at school in England both at 11 and to join our 6th form at 16.

Simon Ellis
    (Views are my own)

justjojo2011
    Participant

I agree. Whether people think it makes sense to advertise schools or not, it doesn’t matter. What matters, is “bums on seats”. There are a great deal of secondary schools in Wrexham that parents can choose from and may not even think of considering unless they see an advert for it. The more children the school has, the more advantageous it becomes for the school.

I don’t know about anyone else, but as a former pupil of St David’s, NONE of my children will EVER go there, regardless of what they call it. My son is 6 and I have already begun to think about what senior school I want him to attend. Ysgol Rhosnesni it won’t be. At the moment, I’m trying to decide between Darland and The Maelor.

@Simon Ellis 17852 wrote:

As a Headteacher in Wrexham (Maelor School – Penley) I do agree that it makes much more sense to spend money on improving the educational experience of a student than advertising. Sadly the economics of competition means that there are distinct advantages to having more pupils.
    In my opinion advertising school open evenings so that parents can have a look for themselves is enough.
    As for education in England vs Wales it really does depend on the school. I am seeing a big increase in applications from pupils at school in England both at 11 and to join our 6th form at 16.

Simon Ellis
    (Views are my own)

Andy
    Participant

What happened to Children attending the nearest Government run school? I never understood Penley School. Why is there a great big School in the middle of the rural countryside where hardly anybody lives? Then all the Children are Transported in from populated areas. Many at Taxpayers expense. How much is the transport budget per annum for here? How many tonnes of CO2 are created? Green policies/Global warming? Wrexham are considering completely scrapping education transport for 16-18 year olds

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Three ‘never events’ reported at health board during February

News

Clwyd South MS welcomes plans for baby loss certificates for bereaved parents

News

More detail on club accounts as owners will ‘continue to offer minority equity positions to strategic partners’

News

Turnover up 75% as Wrexham AFC say ‘losses shouldnt be repeated’ as payroll nears £7m

News

Lasit Spearheads a Clean Revolution: Laser Technology Redefines Industrial Cleaning

News

Shape Your Future: Unique Student Opportunities at Wrexham University

News