Scam Letter back in Wrexham Area

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Scam Letter back in Wrexham Area

  • Author
    Posts
  • #56495

    paul bearer
    Participant

    @justjojo2011 1313 wrote:

    That’s a tad generalised and a wee bit condesending.

    What about vulnerable people who get these letters and phone calls? Just because you know it’s a scam doesn’t mean the rest of the planet does.

    If it sounds too good to be true, then it most definately is. Hang up or destroy the letter. Or hand it over to trading standards. (For all the good that might do, but you never know)

    #56493

    Mike Davies
    Participant

    @kkob 1279 wrote:

    Sorry, but if anyone’s stupid enough to fall for this, or any other scam, they deserve to lose thier money.

    I agree with some others who say that this is a bit harsh. I have a 92 year old aunt. She comes from a time when things like this did not happen. She is a trusting person who likes to think the world is a better place than it can be sometimes.

    She frequently receives genuine letters offering things like broadband etc and she thinks they are bills. I have to carefully go through her mail to explain what is what. She is also very generous towards charities and could quite easily be conned by a well written letter.

    At least I am around to check out things for her, there are many vulnerable people in the world who are not so lucky.

    #56499

    justjojo2011
    Participant

    @paul bearer 1317 wrote:

    If it sounds too good to be true, then it most definately is. Hang up or destroy the letter. Or hand it over to trading standards. (For all the good that might do, but you never know)

    But a vulnerable person may not be aware that it’s probably too good to be true. Or someone who is dead on their arse financially. Debt can do funny things to people

    #56496

    paul bearer
    Participant

    @justjojo2011 1322 wrote:

    But a vulnerable person may not be aware that it’s probably too good to be true. Or someone who is dead on their arse financially. Debt can do funny things to people

    A lot of us are dead on our arse financially, but are savvy enough to know the difference. I think we all agree these people are fekin scum, and the sooner people are made aware of these scams etc, the better.

    #56500

    justjojo2011
    Participant

    @paul bearer 1325 wrote:

    A lot of us are dead on our arse financially, but are savvy enough to know the difference. I think we all agree these people are fekin scum, and the sooner people are made aware of these scams etc, the better.

    I don’t think it’s quite as simple as being “savvy enough to know the difference”. For some people, something like these scams falling on their lap may just be the ray of hope they have been praying for. They probably know its stupid but they probably also have a family to feed and think it can’t hurt. Like I said, debt does funny things to people.

    But yes, we all agree that these scammers are the scum of the earth and should be dealt with by the law accordingly. Trouble is, don’t most of these come from everywhere that isn’t the UK, making it much more difficult for UK authorities to bring charges?

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.