Scam Letter back in Wrexham Area

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Scam Letter back in Wrexham Area

• Author

Saxon1
    Participant

Received in the post today (18th) a letter from the INTERNATIONAL FIFA WORLD CUP ONLINE LOTTERY. It’s quite obviously a scam but on checking via t’internet this letter did the rounds in Wrexham in 2010 – when it was reported some unsuspecting people followed through and provided bank details – losing thousands.
    Have nothing to do with this letter either report it to trading standards or file it in the bin.
    Let’s warn Wrexham – our hard earned money is precious enough without these b’stards trying to take it.

justjojo2011
    Participant

Thanks for the warning.

KKOB
    Participant

Sorry, but if anyone’s stupid enough to fall for this, or any other scam, they deserve to lose thier money.

paul bearer
    Participant

@KKOB 1279 wrote:

Sorry, but if anyone’s stupid enough to fall for this, or any other scam, they deserve to lose thier money.

My thoughts exactly.

Simon
    Participant

My Dad was plagued by a nuscience telephone caller who claimed to be representing the FIFA Lottery.
    He said my dad had won and needed an administration fee of £221 and bank details before he could release an £800,000 win.

Andy
    Participant

The answer should always be “Then deduct it from my winnings and send me the money!”

Some Wrexham residents have reported scam calls from people claiming to be Microsoft and that viruses have been detected on your PC. They then direct you to a remote access website and then have contol of your PC.

Chris
    Participant

@KKOB 1279 wrote:

Unfortunately there are people who are vunerable to these scams. Is it reallly thier fault.

A relative of mine has been the victim of a distraction burgalry. Was that his fault for being so STUPID to let the crook in.

KKOB
    Participant

There’s a bit of a difference between a scamming letter and a distraction burglary isn’t there ?

However, if someone receives a letter or an email telling them that they’ve won a lottery which they haven’t entered, then it can only be greed that motivates them to reply. That’s what the orginators of these scams rely on.

KKOB
    Participant

Apparently a resident of Overton has just realised that they’ve been scammed.

They were contacted by an individual working for a company called FairTrading or something similar, and invited to invest £200 which would soon be returned together with a bonus of £4800.

Not only did they fall for it but they greedily decided to “invest” £600 which would give them a total return of £15000.

justjojo2011
    Participant

@KKOB 1279 wrote:

That’s a tad generalised and a wee bit condesending.

What about vulnerable people who get these letters and phone calls? Just because you know it’s a scam doesn’t mean the rest of the planet does.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Drug driver jailed after fatal Johnstown road traffic collision

News

Multi-million pound investment to transform Old Library into “creative industries powerhouse”

News

The Adventure of Discovery: Why Field Trips Matter for Learning

News

Senedd rejects legal requirement for residential outdoor education in schools

News

New solar farm project planned in Wrexham could power over 22,000 homes

News

Welsh Affairs Committee Rob & Ryan comment ‘taken out of context’ says Deputy Leader of Council

News