Save Wrexhams Parks

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Save Wrexhams Parks

• Author

savewrexhamsparks
    Participant

I noticed that there is a £150k proposed cut to the parks department in the report at WCBC exec board on Tuesday. This would be the end of the department following the £100k cut in 2018/19. It’s time to stop Cllr Bithells personal campaign against the most successful part of his empire. This department has provided wonderful green spaces for all of Wrexham for many years. We once had 6 award winning sites, great events for famalies and great places to keep fit and relax.

zinger
    Participant

The Parks Dept are Wrexham’s biggest asset in my opinion. They can make the town & parks look nice with little extra financial resources apart from their wages.

I know of a council house that has been empty for at least 3 months. 400+ empty houses across the region would bring in quite a bit of rental income. They don’t all need renovation.

savewrexhamsparks
    Participant

The problem is that the parks sit in a department where bins and roads are the priority. Parks offer so much to wildlife and people but are taken for granted. I’ve asked WCBC what there planned alternative model looks like but I don’t think they know. Prepare for more dog fouling, litter and anti-social behaviour. Residents in Wrexham should be asking cllrs Bithell and Pritchard what there ideas are.

Councillor X
    Participant

The solution is for the Council to do what they have done with the roundabouts and road verges. Throw on a load of wild flower seed around the parks and let mother nature take over.

No maintenance required, lots of bees, birds and butterflies and massive savings.

WreX-iT
    Participant

Save Wrexhams Parks? I thought that this was about the council selling off their parks to build houses on.

I bet they could get quite a bit for Bellevue Park if they flogged it for apartments or a housing estate like they did with Acton Park.

savewrexhamsparks
    Participant

We all love wildflower meadows but they need managing. I think tax payers want maintained paths, picnic areas, play areas, healthy lakes, visitor centres, events, facilities such as toilets, tennis courts and people on hand to deal with issues. They are like open air leisure centres. You wouldn’t run waterworks without staff. Think about the visitors they bring in and the value to residents health and well being.

WreX-iT
    Participant

They can save money by getting rid of tennis courts, bowling greens, footbla pitches and visitor centres because they cost more than they bring in. Keep the portaloos they are 20 p a go. Charge more for parking and run a very basic service.
    Do they have “Friends of” parks who could come in, do some basic gardening and pick up the beer cans, condoms, needles and chip wrappers?
    Free parties in the park are an expense they could do without.
    They need to get people in to fine the drunks in parks too and those who let their dogs poop.

Or just flog them off piecemeal over a few years. Less work for the Council.

Ioan y Ffin
    Participant

Bellevue Park is amazingly popular: children using the tennis courts and the playgrounds, young people using the football pitches and the ‘MUGA’ pitch, joggers and mums’s exercise classes, oldies playing bowls, the tennis courts are used by adults, children and people with special needs – every age group uses this park and the same is probably true for the other parks. Many people living in the streets around the park have tiny gardens and parks like Bellevue provide vital open space and fresh air to get outside and exercise that doesn’t require people to get in a car and drive miles. This may not be relevant to our decision makers, but Bellevue Park is very popular with the BAME section of Wrexham’s population so I hope they have carried out an Equalities Impact Assessment before they make these decisions. Also neglecting our parks is bound to affect those who don’t have the wealth to own houses with large gardens. Our local parks do more for public health than the far larger amounts of cash spent on public information campaigns, so spend less on adverts and more on the parks.
    Meanwhile I understand that the Friends of Bellevue Park put on the events in the park so it is truly tragic that as a society we appear to no longer have the funds to employ a few gardeners to look after these vital green lungs for our community. No one is going to volunteer to pick up litter and doggy doo day in day out, get real!!

WreX-iT
    Participant

Bellevue Park :
    Louie the lifesaving dog attacked at Wrexham carnival – The Yorkshire terrier suffered an injury to the back of his neck and had his chain torn off during the incident at the Offa Carnival in Bellevue Park
    Boys ‘distraught’ after bike thefts in Bellevue Park – TWO CHILDREN have had their bicycles stolen in a broad daylight theft
    Suffragettes were led away by police after they heckled David Lloyd George, the future Prime Minister, in Bellevue Park in 1912
    and then there are the drunks go get their tinnies from the Polish shop and get pis*sed on the benches and leave a ton of fag ends.

Control the parks or close them.

Matt
    Participant

[quote quote=171579]
    Suffragettes were led away by police after they heckled David Lloyd George, the future Prime Minister, in Bellevue Park in 1912

Control the parks or close them.[/quote]

Seems like trouble by the locals…

Three suffragettes were attacked by the crowd. Their clothes were torn and some of their hair was pulled out. A soldier who defended them was also attacked.

http://historypoints.org/historypoints.org/index.php?page=site-of-suffragette-protest-wrexham

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Apartment plans for former Johnstown shop

News

Wrexham Council awaits Welsh Government guidance on 20MPH changes and welcomes community input

News

New role for Big Nev as Gŵyl Wal Goch returns to Wrexham for 2024!

News

Hydro Announces £13m Investment in State-of-the-Art Scrap Sorting Facility at Wrexham Plant

News

Fearless fundraisers to scale their biggest challenge yet for children’s hospices

News

Plans submitted for microbrewery on Wrexham farm

News