Sale of. Eagles Meadow

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Sale of. Eagles Meadow

• Author

wrexview
    Participant

If there are to be structural changes to the shopping centre I hope they demolish the two shops fronting Yorke Street and create a new open vista across from the Parish Church through to the shops. The buildings from the Black Horse ( up for sale ) the derelict space , and two poorly maintained additional shops could also be included in this redevelopment. Opening up Eagles Meadow to join the older town centre would be good for traders in both areas. The new owners together with the Council, who have Vibrant and Viable monies too allocate , have an opportunity to create something special in this area, for the benefit of future generations.

newwales
    Participant

Lets hope they do over time reduce the car park prices, as with Broughton new Cinema opening, the Odeon & restaurants WILL loose customers, the carpark needs to be a maximum £2 after 5.30 pm.

D R
    Keymaster

Some interesting ideas on the Facebook thread – roof and cheaper car parking seem to be preferred options!

EAGLES MEADOW SOLD: The site has been sold, with speculation that the new owner could expand & develop it further. What…

Posted by Wrexham.com on Tuesday, 12 May 2015

Born Acorn
    Participant

I could only imagine a roof making it very greenhouse like – a total sweatbox.

Not to mention the support structure – a magnet for pigeons and their droppings.

ddraig
    Participant

The roofs used in Cabot Circus in Bristol are actually quite effective. Really just stop the rain, but still open air. The most critical aspect is the lack of integration with the town centre. An improvement would be if it felt like an extension of High Street, but that is a difficult task.

Two key things the new owners should do:
    1- Buy out the lease of the car park. Come up with a system where-by customers get free parking when buying something from the centre, and in doing so introduce a time/ticket system with barriers rather than pay and display (the council insisted on this at planning which was crazy). This will cost them money, but ultimately their competitors have free parking so to survive they need something radical.

2- Incentivise new stores – I don’t have the answers on this one, but they need to increase the quality of the tenants, increased footfall would help, potentially from point 1.

cmaj76
    Participant

Flatten the ugly eyesore and return it to a meadow.

Adam
    Participant

[quote quote=94018]The roofs used in Cabot Circus in Bristol are actually quite effective. Really just stop the rain, but still open air. The most critical aspect is the lack of integration with the town centre. An improvement would be if it felt like an extension of High Street, but that is a difficult task.

Two key things the new owners should do:
    1- Buy out the lease of the car park. Come up with a system where-by customers get free parking when buying something from the centre, and in doing so introduce a time/ticket system with barriers rather than pay and display (the council insisted on this at planning which was crazy). This will cost them money, but ultimately their competitors have free parking so to survive they need something radical.

2- Incentivise new stores – I don’t have the answers on this one, but they need to increase the quality of the tenants, increased footfall would help, potentially from point 1.

[/quote]

Completely agree.

2 points:

I’m not sure I’m quite as enthusiastic as Kevin Critchley claiming that this is a vote of confidence of Wrexham town, I’d prefer to ask why the current owners have decided to sell. Sounds somewhat like an estate agent shielding a damp patch while pointing at the ‘period’ artex ceiling. Let’s assume however he knows something we don’t and the potential buyers have some great plans..

The point about Broughton retail park is even more relevant now work has officially begun on the new M&S food and Primark outlets. Sifting through the silly facebook comments, there is a real demand for more quality outlets, specifically food orientated. I think a new mid-range restaurant chain (i.e. Zizzi, Wagamama, Prezzo etc) could inject some enthusiasm back into the centre..

steveg
    Participant

“Let’s design a building shaped like a wind tunnel and let’s align it into the prevailing winds” What could possibly go wrong………

Darlofan
    Participant

Well I know something. Now Broughton has the cinema that’s it for Wrexham’s Odeon. Broughton has free easier parking, better restaurants and the added shops if we fancy a wander. New owners of EM need to act fast before the major stores in there pull out never mind the customers.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

What to expect with new first minister set to be appointed and cabinet reshuffle on the horizon

News

Updated: Firefighters called to incident at Bryn Lane recycling centre

News

Wrexham Council first in north Wales to install men’s sanitary bins in public toilets

News

Former Debenhams store in Wrexham could become trampoline park

News

Video: Wrexham market’s historic secrets are being uncovered amid refurb

News

Competition watchdog launches investigation into £2.5 billion merger between Flintshire based Redrow and Barratt

News