Road Parking

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Road Parking

• Author

jimbow
    Participant

Maybe Councillor Wynn can help you Mrs Crewe

Sheefag
    Participant

The words ‘Turkeys’, ‘Christmas’ and ‘Voting’ immediately spring to mind Jim.

danofthewibble
    Participant

@lazyjack 17929 wrote:

If residents can’t park in their own street because of Gerrard’s staff and town centre workers and shoppers then some streets may need some sort of permit system applied. I have occasionally used Ruthin Road to park for an hour or two but I wouldn’t have the cheek to park in any of the residential side streets (Peel St, Gibson St etc) while I went to work all day.

A few years back, the area was polled to see if we wanted residents parking permits. It would cost a nominal fee (£20 a year or something), and would mean although you wouldn’t be guaranteed a space, the only on-road parking would be for residents. No shoppers or workers.

It sounded great. A cheap solution which would’ve reduced congestion, potentially raised money for the council with fines, all at a very small fee to local residents who complain about the lack of parking.

It was rejected by the same local residents.

99DylanJones
    Participant

Free parking for Councilors and officers — is this till operating – thought it had been abolished and ‘cheap’ car parking space was allocated on one of the floors in the Peoples Market.

PhilWynn
    Participant

@danofthewibble 17955 wrote:

A few years back, the area was polled to see if we wanted residents parking permits. It would cost a nominal fee (£20 a year or something), and would mean although you wouldn’t be guaranteed a space, the only on-road parking would be for residents. No shoppers or workers.

It sounded great. A cheap solution which would’ve reduced congestion, potentially raised money for the council with fines, all at a very small fee to local residents who complain about the lack of parking.

It was rejected by the same local residents.

The actual cost was either £60 or £70 per permit. The stumbling block for many was a possible £1 fee for a visitor day pass. For instance if you were visiting a sickly parent each working day then it might of cost you £260 per year.

WCBC have revised their policy since the initial engagement with the residents of the Bradley Rd area, Allowing a Resident Parking Scheme be implemented for a street rather an area.

I hope this clarifies why the scheme did not proceed.

Cllr Phil Wynn

99DylanJones
    Participant

Phil are you able to clarify the position re free parking for officers and Council Members

PhilWynn
    Participant

@Mrs Crewe 17938 wrote:

Of course parking isn’t a problem for Councillors as they have free parking in the centre of town at the Guildhall. In fact the senior management get free parking too. None of the rest of the less well paid staff get free parking, they have to pay the extortionate amount to come to work.
    There have been several attempts to make the parking for staff in the Council fair, by making everyone pay but the Councillors won’t vote away their free parking. So much for a democratic organisation.

Mrs Crewe – just a suggestion but why not sumit a “member of the public ” question to WCBC’s Executive Board?

My understanding is if Councillors were not provided with free parking then we would be permitted to submit a claim for the cost of parking. This would create admin work for someone, which comes with a cost and I guess the Council would be unable to claim the vat element of the parking fee.

Moving forward I believe all Councillors in Wales need to carry out a review of the costs involved in delivering Democracy in their areas, with a view to it taking its fair share of the forthcoming cuts to council funding.

Such costs I would argue ought to include a review of member parking arrangements. I am currently advocating With fellow Councillors that this piece of work is done sooner rather than later so we can demonstrate we can deliver local democracy for less money thereby helping towards maintaining Wrexham’s identity without having to sell out to Greater Flintshire.

For the record in my seven years as an elected member I have never claimed a penny of expenses, which I could of done but have chosen not to.

In the meantime I shall continue to use my parking permit for council business until such time that it is withdrawn.

Cllr Phil Wynn

PhilWynn
    Participant

@99DylanJones 17975 wrote:

Phil are you able to clarify the position re free parking for officers and Council Members

Dylan – my understanding is staff are expected to pay for parking in the town-centre but may well claim it back on expenses if the Guildhall/Crown Buildings are not their fixed place of work.

Staff working out of town are provided with free parking facilities.

I would need to check these arrangements out to be absolutely sure of the facts though.

Would you like me to add it to my to do list?

Cllr Phil Wynn

dagg
    Participant

Cars still parking on the footpath, is it a job for the police or traffic wardens to stop this.

zinger
    Participant

Don’t be daft. The policewoman who followed me over 6 speed bumps in a 20 mph area for less than 1/4 mile, parked on the pavement in order to give me a ticket for not wearing a seatbelt. Now I was an idiot I know but it was a bit like the pot calling the kettle but I couldn’t issue her with a ticket.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Warning issued after ‘lithium battery’ causes fire at Wrexham recycling centre

News

Demand for Welsh courses ‘outstripping capacity’

News

New economy minister sets out his priorities for Wales

News

7 Facts You Should (or Shouldn’t) Go For a Ph.D.

News

Proposals submitted to turn Wrexham beauty salon into children’s home

News

Friends take on 45-mile ultramarathon to raise funds for mental health charity

News