Removal Of Councillor Malcolm King As Lead Member

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Removal Of Councillor Malcolm King As Lead Member

• Author

99DylanJones
    Participant

In the past – Director of Children and Young Peoples Services Nottinghamshire County Council and other consultancy type work.

Some of the points riased by Clr King re sickness levels, vacancies etc are rekfected in https://www.wrexham.gov.uk/MinutesData/CustPerfRes/Reports/CgAgenda&ReportsPack24092014.pdf

which is a report going to Council Scrutiny next week.

This report also shows that the Council had 57,000 days of sickness 14% up on last year– if you average this at £50 a day they spent over £2,850,000 or more than 25% of the savings they are trying to achieve was a sickness payment! As the staff numbers reduce the stress levels are likely to increase even more. The reason I am highlighting this is the massive level of sickness in Adult Social Care- perhaps someone should look closely at this area as the risks could be even more substantial that Clr Kings issues re Childrens Services.

A Nuisance
    Participant

“In the past – Director of Children and Young Peoples Services Nottinghamshire County Council and other consultancy type work.”

That probably explains her bias.

independent adjective (NOT INFLUENCED)
    not influenced or controlled in any way by other people, events, or things:

Seems a bit odd to me….

BenjaminM
    Participant

@A Nuisance 15290 wrote:

“In the past – Director of Children and Young Peoples Services Nottinghamshire County Council and other consultancy type work.”

That probably explains her bias.

independent adjective (NOT INFLUENCED)
    not influenced or controlled in any way by other people, events, or things:

Seems a bit odd to me….

I think an explanation as to why you THINK that the author of the report displayed a bias. It seems to be that the report has stated facts accurately and in many instances, verbatim. The conclusions reached and the recommendations made are totally consistent with the document and the representations and allegations made by the said Councillor.
    In addition, perhaps you would also clarify who you consider would have been appropriate to carry out the investigation – without bias.
    And please, do not insult intelligence by suggesting someone from the Welsh Assembly. From the information I have read, certain AM’s were alleged to have visited Wrexham to call for his reinstatement as it was an embarrassment to Welsh Labour Party.
    Even they must have seen some truth in the report to take such a step.

Katia
    Participant

Is this the same person that wrote the report, is there any argument the credentials are appropriate.

For a person to be properly qualified to make a report an awareness of issues is beneficial.

From 28 May 2009
    BBC NEWS | England | Nottinghamshire | Social workers’ caseload warning

From 21 May 2010
    A serious case review by Ofsted found that there were inadequacies in the agencies dealing with the Charlotte Avenall case | Nottingham Post

Through experience comes knowledge….yes ?

A Nuisance
    Participant

Yes indeed it does Katia.
    In answer to BenjaminM. “I think an explanation as to why you THINK that the author of the report displayed a bias.” Bias is an inclination of temperament or outlook to present or hold a partial perspective, often accompanied by a refusal to even consider the possible merits of alternative points of view.
    This is apparent throughout the report, I only read it as entertainment,but after reading such a one sided opinion I was intrigued to know more about the author. Now I know more I understand more.
    “in addition, perhaps you would also clarify who you consider would have been appropriate to carry out the investigation – without bias.”
    Someone with no connections to either side, would be a good starting point.
    ” I have read, certain AM’s were alleged to have visited Wrexham to call for his reinstatement as it was an embarrassment to Welsh Labour Party.
    Even they must have seen some truth in the report to take such a step.”
    I think the key word here is alleged.

If All Knowledge Comes from Experience, is All Knowledge Subjective?

99DylanJones
    Participant

The unfortunate element with the whole of the report and the process is that both Personality and Party Politics came into the equation after the author produced the report. There is always the danger with any report that people can be selective in what they read and often read what they want to see- that said this is an extremely serious topic and should not be underestimated in what comes out years later despite ‘investigations’ taking place — Locally you have all the Bryn Estyn elements and nationally Rotherham etc.
    One should never assume a report of this nature captures all issues initially as it takes confidence and trusting environment for some people to come forward.

BenjaminM
    Participant

“There is always the danger with any report that people can be selective in what they read and often read what they want to see” (99DylanJones).

This wouldn’t be from the same person who in an earlier post on this thread, did exactly that when commenting on sickness levels in Adult Social Care, would it?
    Nationally, ASC should not be compared to other Local Authority departments but should be compared to other professions that are more akin to the type of work involved eg Police, Health and Prison Service, where manual handling of persons plays a big part in the day to day functions. Musculoskeletal injuries play a major part in those figures. Not my words, but the qualifier contained within the report.
    Furthermore, he omits to mention that ASC has reduced sick leave by almost 25% over the last reporting period whilst in other departments, the figures have increased.

Just thought it important that the sensationalism was put into perspective, that’s all.

Interested
    Participant

@99DylanJones 14782 wrote:

I cannot believe that Clr King would have just conjured up concerns so what about those staff that felt they could confide in a Lead Council Member have they now been offered support by senior managers. What about those staff that felt they did not need to say anything as they had confidence that a report was being produced.
    What opportunity have the staff been given to now raise concerns as they have seen what has happened to Clr King. Irrespective of whether the original issues were right or wrong the Council has now developed a culture of fear that means people will keep quiet for fear of demotion or even the sack. The Council have got to build a lot of bridges with staff or we will find Wrexham being the centre of a major safeguarding problem.

My concern is as above. Any Councillor that is approached with concerns has to act. The language used in the report seems to me too concerned with discrediting the Councillor rather than answering the questions. Just my opinion.

Crossed fingers and hope to god it doesn’t happen but this report seems to paint everything as rosy so should anything happen in the next week, month, year that has direct relation to the initial complaints where will that leave WCBC?

99DylanJones
    Participant

Looking at the news this evening and another defector from the Conservative Party to UKIP shows that he is doing the honourable thing by resigning as an MP so that there can be a by election for him to fight as a UKIP candidate. Why couldn’t the local Labor defectors do the same honourable action- resign and stand as Independents in a by- election so that the electorate could decide if they still wanted them to be their representative.

Interested
    Participant

I’ve spent some time researching the author of the report as many above have and it is worrying.

The Council appointed a person who did not identify failings in her own team. You could argue that the experience may have made her more aware but on the other hand she may not have a clue. Just cant get my head around how she can attack someone for passing concerns on. Also does anyone know how much was paid to carry out the INDEPENDENT investigation?

Having got the bug I researched the Chief Executive of WCBC as well. Interesting read and would encourage people take a look.

Benjamin said posters can be selective on what they take from the report which I agree they can. But other posters also look at the report and take in the information and form different opinions. In view of Rotherham this report should be torn up and the authority should ask for the Welsh Government body to come in and carry out a thorough review. It’s the only way of clearing up this mess.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

7 Facts You Should (or Shouldn’t) Go For a Ph.D.

News

Proposals submitted to turn Wrexham beauty salon into children’s home

News

Friends take on 45-mile ultramarathon to raise funds for mental health charity

News

Three arrested over ‘intent to supply Class B drugs’

News

16 year old charged with range of driving offences in Rhos

News

A view from Wrexham’s Member of Parliament

News