Referendum Debate

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Referendum Debate

• Author

MargaretA
    Participant

I attended the evening at Wrexham Library, as I was undecided whether to vote stay or leave. Thanks to Mr Atkinson who chaired the evening very well and allowed most people to comment.
    These events are never long enough to develop points. Among the ‘leave’ speakers from the floor came the statement that leaving would make ‘Britain Great Again’. While this is a laudable aim, we no longer have huge manufacturing plants in Britain and many of our companies are foreign owned including our power companies. So do we have a base for growth? For instance Nissan came here to have access to Europe. Will they stay?
    One of the leave speakers on the panel stated that tariffs would not be a problem as France and Germany are eager to sell to us. However I’m sure they will be very quick to impose tariffs on British goods going to them.
    Immigration was another point raised. If we leave, we can control our own borders. Figures yesterday show that 44% of immigrants here are from EU, the rest from non EU countries and presumably have to apply for right to stay. So do we already control half of our immigration? We can only control our own borders, if the Government puts money into increasing numbers of border check staff at airports, docks etc.
    At the end of the evening, I remain undecided!!!

Daave63
    Participant

Well that’s made it clear for me!

dagg
    Participant

I made my mind up years ago, I will vote out.

Daave63
    Participant

I was talking to me old dad about the voting this safty, now he’s no great political animal mind, but I think he made as much sense as any other pundit has and summed it up perfectly when he answered the main question – the Europe vote, will you be in or out? He said, ” I’ll probably stay in, I’ve heard it might rain!!

Rex Ham
    Participant

Hmm MargaretA, for one so undecided, your points seem so well made.

I would just add, that whilst we hear about BMW, Volkswagen etc., still wanting to sell their cars to us, will they be as willing to make their cars here? For example, the Vauxhall plant in Ellesmere Port (which employs a lot of Wrexham people), they make Astra cars not only for the British market, but for all of Europe (Opel Astra)it might be easier for them to make their cars in a country within the EU. BMW make the mini range in Oxford, Toyota in Deeside and Derby, Nissan in Sunderland. These companies have much more interest in selling to the whole of Europe, and it might be easier for them to manufacture in Europe rather than a stand alone UK. What price UK jobs then?

Andy
    Participant

If the EU is so good for jobs why is unemployment so high in EU countries?

Spain 20.4%
    Greece 24%
    Italy 12%

Anyway, the issue for me is the EU is not democratic and should not rule over the UK. So I am voting out.

Rex Ham
    Participant

[quote quote=114009]If the EU is so good for jobs why is unemployment so high in EU countries?

Spain 20.4%
    Greece 24%
    Italy 12%

Anyway, the issue for me is the EU is not democratic and should not rule over the UK. So I am voting out.

[/quote]
    I think we all know Andy that these countries have their own problems. Over spending on infrastructure they can’t afford. An inability to grasp the basics of “living within your means” as my owld Welsh granny used to say! Now living with austerity measures we can’t imagine. I have many Greek friends who are only scraping a living together.

We enjoy a relatively low level of unemployment in the UK and I see no reason to want to jeapordise that. Yes of course there are many problems within the EU, but surely we can have greatest influence to make it more democratic from within.

To add to my earlier post, I am also reminded that Airbus have also make worrying noises about their UK manufacturing. Another employer that benefits the Wrexham area.

Sheefag
    Participant

[quote quote=114008]……….the Vauxhall plant in Ellesmere Port (which employs a lot of Wrexham people), they make Astra cars not only for the British market, but for all of Europe (Opel Astra)it might be easier for them to make their cars in a country within the EU. BMW make the mini range in Oxford, Toyota in Deeside and Derby, Nissan in Sunderland. These companies have much more interest in selling to the whole of Europe, and it might be easier for them to manufacture in Europe rather than a stand alone UK. What price UK jobs then?[/quote]
    [quote quote=114010]…….I am also reminded that Airbus have also make worrying noises about their UK manufacturing. Another employer that benefits the Wrexham area.[/quote]

Blackmail has never been the best reason to stay in an abusive relationship.

Rex Ham
    Participant

A comparison in poor taste Sheefag.

Sheefag
    Participant

I beg to differ Mr Ham.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

9 Tips for Crafting the Perfect College Admission Essay

News

County Lines drug dealers targeted as part of major police operation

News

Clwyd South MS gives ringing endorsement to church bell restoration bid

News

Works on New Broughton housing development set to begin in spring

News

North Wales chief constable backs new Police Anti-Corruption and Abuse Reporting Service

News

Welsh gaming professionals flying the flag at “instrumental” US conference

News