Reducing The Strength Campaign

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Reducing The Strength Campaign

• Author

DR
    Participant

North Wales Police are launching a ‘Reducing the Strength’ Campaign against the sales of super strength alcohol in town. The campaign is aimed at cutting the sale alcohol above 6.5 per cent proof and is being launched in line with National Alcohol Awareness Week starting Monday November 18.

What are your thoughts on this? Do you think the campaign is a step in the right direction? Or do you think there are other options available?

Reducing The Strength Campaign | Wrexham.com

Andy
    Participant

It’s going to be disastrous for wine producers and the domestic Whisky industry!

Rob
    Participant

I would imagine the target really is the price per unit so lower priced stuff rather than people getting smashed on High St swigging from a 30yr old single malt – hopefully anyway!

However there is no mention of that itself.

Liam
    Participant

Says here The Leader – News from Wrexham & Flintshire – Bid to curb cheap super booze sales in Wrexham ‘They said the super strength alcohol they want removed from sale is that which is sold very cheaply, and not premium products.’

Andy
    Participant

I did make the comment “tongue in cheek”. But wine is a cheap way to “tank up”

I once had the misfortune to buy a bottle of Frosty Jacks. Took one drink of it and poured it down the sink. Really nasty stuff! Made from dessert apple cores and corn syrup apparently.

Chris
    Participant

The wording of legislation is important Some may class a blended whisky as cheap booze and not a premium product.

Liam
    Participant

Would be interesting to see how it’s being applied. Does it include supermarket brand spirits such as vodka?

wrexview
    Participant

Charging a minimum price for a unit of alcohol is the way to go, the government were all for it but got cold feet at the last minute!

jamesbwxm
    Participant

The original wording I saw just said “beers, lagers and ciders”. (Quite how lager isn’t classified as a beer there I’m not sure).

Apart from what I think is the snobbery aspect – obviously only the riff raff would drink that – it just means that the intended people it’s targetting are just going to go to Lidl and get a bottle of Vodka or wine instead.

Really grinds my gears.

Maybe if the police weren’t so busy looking after big business’s interests (see the shoplifting article) they could possibly find time to wander around the communities and provide a presence so antisocial behaviour is less likely to happen.

Robert
    Participant

Its not the police’ job to play politics or make the law, merely to enforce the law as it stands.

If elements within North Wales Police do not like the current laws on alcohol production, sale and consumption, they should stand for public office on the basis of their proposed policies, and see how they get on…

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Drug driver jailed after fatal Johnstown road traffic collision

News

Multi-million pound investment to transform Old Library into “creative industries powerhouse”

News

The Adventure of Discovery: Why Field Trips Matter for Learning

News

Senedd rejects legal requirement for residential outdoor education in schools

News

New solar farm project planned in Wrexham could power over 22,000 homes

News

Welsh Affairs Committee Rob & Ryan comment ‘taken out of context’ says Deputy Leader of Council

News