Rate Rise ?

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Rate Rise ?

• Author

MP1953
    Participant

On the news this morning was an item about rate rises in England of 0.6 to 0.8 % did I hear from somewhere that Wrexham is going to be 3% ??

If so how can that be justified with all the cuts going on, I would have thought there should be a reduction !

BenjaminM
    Participant

@MP1953 12016 wrote:

On the news this morning was an item about rate rises in England of 0.6 to 0.8 % did I hear from somewhere that Wrexham is going to be 3% ??

A factual statement as far as it goes, but one that does not tell the complete story.
    Councils in England are given massive financial incentives by central government to keep their Council Tax rise to below 2%, they do not however afford that luxury to Wales, making it necessary to raise council tax to fund Local Authority functions.
    As a comparison, the average Band D charge in England is in the region of £1460 whilst in Wales, it is approximately £220 lower, at around £1240.
    In addition, WCBC has achieved the lowest percentage rise in all of Wales.
    Wait until you see what percentage rise there will be on the Police precept… You can bet your life that will be of a greater magnitude than WCBC’s 3%….. Then will be the time to assess whether we are getting value for money.

MP1953
    Participant

Mmmm “fund Local Authority functions” :confused::rolleyes:

BenjaminM
    Participant

Very good. Nice interpretation!
    An unfortunate choice of word considering the topic.

wxm
    Participant

The reduction in central funding to Councils started some time ago in England, and has only just started in Wales?

Government overall is working to a set formulae, and Wales specifically continued to pay monies that England did not?

We would have to understand the facts before understanding why some increases are less than 1%, and some are more than 3%

Rob
    Participant

It was touched on in response to No Blooming Money For Town Entry | Wrexham.com

from that “Speaking about recent Council Tax rises he said; “We could have increased council tax by another 2% , which would have raised about £500,000 , which in an organisation like Wrexham Council is not a lot of money.”

It was mentioned that other areas ‘raided balances’ but Wrexham have not done that.

BenjaminM
    Participant

@wxm 12030 wrote:

The reduction in central funding to Councils started some time ago in England, and has only just started in Wales?

I think you should tell Eric Pickles that because it doesn’t reflect what he was quoted as saying on this morning’s BBC web site.
    Quite the opposite actually.

And please, could you explain the 2nd paragraph as I can’t make head nor tail of it, even with its’ unnecessary question mark.

johnhoppy
    Participant

I am sure I will be corrected if I am wrong, but in the past monies have been paid by Central Government to the WAG to reduce rises in Council Tax, but they (The WAG) have chosen to retain the monies for their own pet projects instead of passing it on. I assume that they are playing on the fact that Council Tax rates are generally less in Wales (for now) than in England.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Three ‘never events’ reported at health board during February

News

Clwyd South MS welcomes plans for baby loss certificates for bereaved parents

News

More detail on club accounts as owners will ‘continue to offer minority equity positions to strategic partners’

News

Turnover up 75% as Wrexham AFC say ‘losses shouldnt be repeated’ as payroll nears £7m

News

Lasit Spearheads a Clean Revolution: Laser Technology Redefines Industrial Cleaning

News

Shape Your Future: Unique Student Opportunities at Wrexham University

News