Radio 4 Interview This Morning.

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Radio 4 Interview This Morning.

• Author

Wrecsam_lad
    Participant

Our GP practice has been dire for months. We don’t have a full time GP only a locum, and that’s if they can manage to get one.
    Trying to get an appointment is like trying to win the lottery.

EternalOptimist
    Participant

I agree in principle with the views above that change should be available via the ballot box.

Unfortunately, in reality change is not available via the ballot box. The main parties all have the same social, economic and foreign policies. For example, every party as far as I can see, supports the same system of fiat currency and fractional reserve banking, which is one of the root causes of many of our problems. They all have the same foreign policy.

Ultimately though, no matter who is voted in, it won’t make the slightest difference. How can it, when much larger forces, out of our control, are responsible for most of our (and the rest of the western world’s) problems. The root cause of most problems, is that of globalisation. It’s why most western countries have no more production, only retail jobs left, as production will always move to the cheapest, stable country. Which means less tax to support public services. Which is why the UK national debt is almost at WW2 levels and the government has to print money. This money printing benefits mainly the rich, by causing asset bubbles, namely stock markets and housing and commodities. It’s no coincidence that oil has dropped off a cliff now that the US has stopped printing money.

The concept of individual, sovereign nations is not compatible with globalisation. Currently the world is stuck in between, and has to go one way o the other.

Apologies for the long post, it may seem unrelated to the NHS, but I feel that not enough people look at the (much) bigger picture when it comes to the problems that we see at a local and national level. These are merely the symptoms, of much larger, international forces at work. Too many people IMO have a narrow, blinkered view, and just blame the politician with the red/blue badge, when it really matters not.

EternalOptimist
    Participant

Back to more local stuff though, our GP practice is dire also. Tried to book an appointment for my son last week, and 9th Feb is the nearest appointment. I think that’s half of the problem with A&E departments being overrun. It’s all well saying only go to A&E for emergencies, but I think there are a whole range of conditions that fall in between, whereby you need really prompt medical attention, not life and death emergency, but certainly unable to wait 4 weeks for, so people feel they have no option but to go to A&E.

jimbow
    Participant

Are you implying Triage are not doing their job correctly, or is it that the Triage rules need to be changed ?

cmaj76
    Participant

I have nothing but praise for the front line staff at the hospital, as they do an amazing job, which I’ve had 1st hand experience of. I do however have a lot less respect for the management and government and their targets and profit.
    The rules should be tightened with regards to Triage and people should also take some responsibility and think do they actually need to go to ACCIDENT & EMERGENCY

wxm
    Participant

@wrexview 17844 wrote:

… This morning an A&E consultant from the Wrexham Maelor Hospital with 18 years experience in the department , was interviewed on Radio 4. He explained his department were missing waiting time targets mainly because of a lack of empty beds within the hospital to move patients into from A&E …

… We need to support the staff in our hospital who are doing a good job in impossibly difficult circumstances. We believe in you and know you should not be asked to work under such pressures and now fully appreciate your frustration, THANK YOU!

As a family we have recently had extensive experience with the Maelor. (The work the doctors and nurses do is fabulous.) The PROBLEM we experienced: We have spent a lot of time cutting through processes to get to the nub of clinical care and nursing. The experience strongly suggests that there are to many processes and bureaucracy. We chased tests and communications between departments. Talking to doctors and nurses, removing a lot of administrative processes and bureaucracy, would speed up the patient experience. This includes a heavy burden of management reporting.

(Notwithstanding that GP, A&E, and discharge care all needs attention).

Mrs Crewe
    Participant

GPs have been holding the nhs to ransom since its inception. The only way they could get them onboard was to make them the gatekeepers then allow them to remain out of the system as independent contractors.
    I wish all the parties would stop talking and treating the NHS like a holy cow. The model we have was designed for a 1948 Britain, that country doesn’t exisit anymore. Not only has the population grown, but medicine, the identification and treatment of disease and conditions has advanced expedentially in the last 60 years.
    The NHS a has to change, and we have to start taking more responsibility for the way we use the NHS. 5% of the population use 95% of the 999 services, we all know that the emergency services are being abused by a hard core minority of the population. These people need to be re-educated on what is an emergency and what isn’t.
    But this is only part of the solution, the other is inside the NHS itself. I trained as a nurse and have worked in various parts of the NHS. Sadly I’ve ended up on the other side as a patient, but I’ve been able to have first hand experience of the inner workings. The elephant in the room that no one will talk about is that there is also hard core minority of staff who are lazy, cruel and not suitable for their post. They have been sucked into believing their own press and see themselves as heros or administering Angels. No criticism is allowed because of the work they do, the result of this is Mid Staffs, were patients died due to poor medicine and nursing. Medical staff need to feel confident that when they report poor practice they will be believed and support. The unions need to stop protecting staff from genuine and warranted criticism. The politicians need to stop caring about appearance and make the hard decisions about radically changing the way health is delivered in this country. And when I say this country I mean the UK.

Andy
    Participant

Thank you Mrs Crewe. My parents both had a spell in Hospital last year. They said some of the staff did their jobs to a point but just didn’t really care about their patients.

zinger
    Participant

I am afraid that some staff really don’t understand that the elderly need to be treated somewhat differently to other age groups. Often they are afraid, have never been in hospital before & can’t articulate their needs easily. Buzzers & bed pans are left out of reach & their dignity is ignored. They don’t understand what is expected of them. There are some staff, on the other hand, who are exceptionally kind.

wrexview
    Participant

At long last the Welsh Assembly is giving more money to the NHS in Wales. Now they need to listen to those at the coal face and spend it wisely! The question still needs to be asked why it has taken so long for them to act.I just hope this is a genuine attempt to resolve the situation and money is released quickly. Time for the local AM’s to step up and put our case across!

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

National Playday returning to Wrexham for a fun-filled day of activities!

News

Apartment plans for former Johnstown shop

News

Wrexham Council awaits Welsh Government guidance on 20MPH changes and welcomes community input

News

New role for Big Nev as Gŵyl Wal Goch returns to Wrexham for 2024!

News

Hydro Announces £13m Investment in State-of-the-Art Scrap Sorting Facility at Wrexham Plant

News

Fearless fundraisers to scale their biggest challenge yet for children’s hospices

News