Radio 4 Interview This Morning.

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Radio 4 Interview This Morning.

• Author

wrexview
    Participant

This morning an A&E consultant from the Wrexham Maelor Hospital with 18 years experience in the department , was interviewed on Radio 4. He explained his department were missing waiting time targets mainly because of a lack of empty beds within the hospital to move patients into from A&E. Mark Drakeford was then interviewed. He droned on about not right to compare Wales with England and the huge numbers turning up at A&E. What Mark Drakeford didn’t say was :-
    1. I apologise to both the hard working staff and patients for not getting to grips with this long standing problem of no beds, exacerbated by hospital closures.

2. I know what the problem is and I have a plan of action.

3. I will visit Wrexham Hospital and speak directly to the staff ,listen to their concerns and take account of their views when formulating an action plan.

Mark Drakeford came across as remote, disinterested and in denial. His comments continued to be political “we haven’t closed any doors in Wales” again referring to England rather than acknowledging the problems on his own doorstep .

We need to support the staff in our hospital who are doing a good job in impossibly difficult circumstances. We believe in you and know you should not be asked to work under such pressures and now fully appreciate your frustration, THANK YOU!

Mrs Crewe
    Participant

When Edwina Hart was the minister for Health, she was told by every body not to make one single health board for North Wales, but she knew best and lumbered us with the BCUHB. Which incidentally is named after a woman who lived in Wales until she was 12 and never came back. She did not nurse the soldiers in the Crimean war as er ‘service’ them and died of syphilis in the brothel she owned in Liverpool.
    The Maelor was a great hospital once, it had enthusiastic staff with talented Drs and nurse practising excellent medicine. Now they are unable to do their jobs properly as the management is criminally poor to the point of incompetence. The NHS a in Wales is only one example of the uselessness of the Welsh Assembly, it has brought nothing but harm to Wales.

wrexview
    Participant

A few weeks ago we were told that 30 extra beds were to be opened in the Maelor Hospital, has this happened yet ?

johnhoppy
    Participant

The Welsh Assembly Government is only useless to the extent that it is dominated by one party who know that whatever decisions they make or policies they put forward they will ALWAYS be the dominant party in Wales. There is no incentive to be good at governing Wales.

wrexview
    Participant

Maybe our local AM’s Lesley Griffiths and Aled Roberts could find out what the plans are for relieving the pressure on A&E at the Maelor Hospital. Am I right is assuming that SOMETHING will be done now we are making national headlines? News at Ten last night and Radio 4 this morning. No mention on Radio Wales News today but that is no surprise.

Mrs Crewe
    Participant

Lesley Griffiths was the previous Health Minister, why? Because she used to be a medical secretary. She has a fair portion of blame to accept for the state of the NHS in Wales.

Sheefag
    Participant

Change is available via the ballotbox, ergo, the people of Wales get the government that they deserve.

cmaj76
    Participant

@Sheefag 17856 wrote:

Change is available via the ballotbox, ergo, the people of Wales get the government that they deserve.

Totally agree, if you don’t vote or if you’re one of the sheep who have always voted labour because ‘duh well I don’t really know’ then you’ve only got yourselves to blame

justjojo2011
    Participant

I don’t see why the Welsh Government find it so difficult to fix the issues with A&E. Obviously the lack of beds are an issue but I wonder, how many are admitted to hospital because they need to be or because it’s the only way they get treatment?

Fix the GP surgery issues so that more people won’t go to A&E with their incredibly minor ailments is a good way to go. Let triage do their job and send people who don’t need medical intervention home. But I also think it is vitally important that the general public are aware of where they can go for medical assistance and what would need treatment and what wouldn’t.

We can change who we vote for in the upcoming elections but I wonder, how much difference will it actually make?

cmaj76
    Participant

Triage should be increased to turn away people who shouldn’t be there.

If you are drunk or on drugs and you don’t have a life threatening injury, you get sent home, if you have something you can treat yourself, you get sent home, if you have a problem your GP can sort, you get sent home or to out of hours.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Wrexham to take on Vancouver White Caps in ‘Wrex Coast Tour’

News

National Playday returning to Wrexham for a fun-filled day of activities!

News

Apartment plans for former Johnstown shop

News

Wrexham Council awaits Welsh Government guidance on 20MPH changes and welcomes community input

News

New role for Big Nev as Gŵyl Wal Goch returns to Wrexham for 2024!

News

Hydro Announces £13m Investment in State-of-the-Art Scrap Sorting Facility at Wrexham Plant

News