Quiet month on wrexham.com forum?

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Quiet month on wrexham.com forum?

• Author

Rob
    Participant

@wxm 9419 wrote:

Wrexham is stifled in to many ways, this site was fresh and an opportunity to share expressive and progressive vies and intentions. I think that has been severely curtailed by moderation, and has put the issued trust and the freedom of speech in the back of people’s minds.

Nothing has been moderated to restrict views – however there has been moderation of direct abuse and highly likely libelous remarks. Such comments would put the poster themselves and possibly the site at risk.

There is no inherent freedom of speech on here in terms of making accusations or the like, however people are welcome to setup twitter accounts, blogs, facebook pages and the like to put those views across.

Likewise if there is an issue if we are able to be trusted to do that in a decent manner then that really should be placed before any content generated by people ‘from’ wrexham.com – as if we are curtailing stuff on here it would certainly make me wonder what is being left out of reports and accounts of whats going on.

Aside from the above the bits binned have been pure spam – and even some spammy type stuff gets through eg. the latest post about the new chinese buffet , it would be nice if they bought an advert instead however we wont be stopping people from posting about possible job opportunities for the town as that would be churlish and basically wrong.

NJones
    Participant

The moderation change seemed to coincide with lots of advertising for Glyndwr university and WCBC signing up on the forum. Did Glyndwr pay?

Rob
    Participant

@NJones 9434 wrote:

The moderatation change seemed to coincide with lots of advertising for Glyndwr university and WCBC signing up on the forum. Did Glyndwr pay?

What, pay to have posts moderated? No :) Only ever had one request to really remove/censor stuff from a local orgs PR company – they were told to jog on.

Although it does remind me of this article and comments from a week or so ago Why I quit: former Oswestry and Border Counties Advertizer Jeremy Smith – Journalism News from HoldtheFrontPage

Worth a read….! If it is true then advertisers do have a degree of control. Hopefully never on here!

wxm
    Participant

As this is educating us all, could you set up a charity to run the forum, keeping it free from influence. Happy to make a donation.

Rob
    Participant

Hopefully it is free from influence already :)

There are various ‘models’ for online stuff including donations, ads, paywalls and many more. Hopefully the balance will become right for Wrexham.com as the aim is that it should sustain itself independently and exist indefinitely and be decent . Simple goals on that front.

The ownership models are also part of that, as to give a brief back story I set this up as I thought the town needed it and the circumstances allowed it. I have worked unpaid for the last 18 months on it to get it where it is (along with others!). However, if I get hit by a bus tomorrow – which going by a local bus co’s performance recently is not probable – then the site existence could be hugely affected.

Gone totally off topic but funnily enough due to ‘stuff’ happening the forums has picked up over the last few days!

Welsh Dresser
    Participant

It could have something to do with the nights drawing in. I, for one, am spending more time indoors and the tv is dire!

Rondetto
    Participant

Just ask for help in running the board. I have experience of moderating on several boards and would be willing to contribute my time free of charge.

BenjaminM
    Participant

The last thing that’s needed is an external moderator. Dangerous!!
    Better the devil you know, without outside interference or influence.

Chris
    Participant

Pleased to see pre moderated removed. Nice one Rob.
    Oh if you making money out of Wrexham.com I’m pleased for you, I know I wouldn’t work for nothing.

Rob
    Participant

@Chris 9482 wrote:

Pleased to see pre moderated removed. Nice one Rob.
    Oh if you making money out of Wrexham.com I’m pleased for you, I know I wouldn’t work for nothing.

Trying a middle way method – hopefully its easier all round!

No pay for me, I put the money in to get it off the ground and have not been paid – not that it is at the position to pay me anything even if I wanted it to :D

Long term that is not sustainable thus working towards a model as outlined above where a full time ‘reporter/curator’ style role can be created and funded indefinitely. Ideally several!!

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

The topic ‘Quiet month on wrexham.com forum?’ is closed to new replies.

More...

Welsh Government funding for children’s hospices not enough, says sector leader

News

College’s celebration of education and diversity goes from strength to strength

News

Clean energy projects ‘harming’ rural Wales, warns Conservative MS

News

News

Drug driver jailed after fatal Johnstown road traffic collision

News

Multi-million pound investment to transform Old Library into “creative industries powerhouse”

News