Question …. What is Wrexham Council doing to alleviate poverty?

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Question …. What is Wrexham Council doing to alleviate poverty?

• Author

barb
    Participant

It is evident that poverty in Wrexham is widespread and is affecting the whole community. Foodbanks are a lifeline for many people, including working men and women who cannot make ends meet. Our children are going hungry and are relying on charity for their basic needs.

Tell me, why is Wrexham Council’s executive board doing nothing about this?

WreX-iT
    Participant

It is easier for them to sit back and let charities and do-gooders do the job for them.

barb
    Participant

I couldn’t agree more. I think it’s appalling that we have to rely more and more on the goodness of local people, many of whom are not particularly well off themselves.

DerekJackson
    Participant

You could always ask Cllr Andrew Atkinson as he is the Lead Member for Anti Poverty- here is his strategy http://moderngov.wrexham.gov.uk/mgAi.aspx?ID=8618 – what you need to ask is how much progress has been made on any of the actions….

barb
    Participant

Thank you for that. I have read the anti poverty materials that I could find on the net, which I have to say I found very woolly with no definite actions at all.

Let’s see what Andrew Atkinson has to say.

janeywxm
    Participant

Maybe they should go and get some food off the man who sits outside Sainsburys for hours on end with a suitcase full of donated food! At the end of his shift he dumps the majority of it behind the store according to the manager!

Janey

WreX-iT
    Participant

[quote quote=165910]You could always ask Cllr Andrew Atkinson as he is the Lead Member for Anti Poverty- here is his strategy http://moderngov.wrexham.gov.uk/mgAi.aspx?ID=8618 – what you need to ask is how much progress has been made on any of the actions….[/quote]

There is no poverty in Gresford so it is not very high on Andrew’s agenda. Now if you ask him about a Gresford litter pick or to chase out gypsies then he is your man.

I wish I could afford to live there because he really looks after his people not like the other lot who do very little or if they do they are not into self promotion.

barb
    Participant

There is, of course, poverty in Gresford and in all Wrexham wards. But I agree that Atkinson isn’t showing a particular interest even though he is the councillor who is supposed to be leading the strategy.

Research undertaken last year and reported in the Wrexham Leader stated that 1 in 4 children in Wrexham were living in poverty. I fear that ratio will have increased.

RhosdduCowboy
    Participant

Back to the original question.What is WCBC doing about homelessness. Answer: Nothing. Homelessness comes hand in hand with drug abuse. The majority of these people are well grounded citizens experiencing hard times. Since working in the town for seven years alongside many of these people I have known of eight homeless or borderline homeless people who have lost their lives to drugs.
    The problem won’t go away. It’s socio-economic. The Council need to take the problem off the streets. Convert the old Grove School into a safe haven offering short and longer term boarding. Dedicated and monitored substance imbibing areas. Needle exchange. Relocate help organisations such as CAIS and soup kitchens all under one roof.
    It won’t solve the problem but it will offer a means to change lives and make the streets safer and more attractive.

Matt
    Participant

Homelessness/Drug Use has its own dedicated taskforce ‘Gold Command’. Has there been any updates from them recently?

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

New solar farm project planned in Wrexham could power over 22,000 homes

News

Welsh Affairs Committee Rob & Ryan comment ‘taken out of context’ says Deputy Leader of Council

News

New gym plans for Wrexham Industrial Estate could create 70 jobs

News

Wrexham man taking on London Marathon challenge for disabled skiers

News

Almost one in five people in Wales waiting to start NHS treatment

News

Wales Transport Secretary calls for targeted 20mph zones near schools and hospitals

News