Purrfect start for animal charity’s new £2.1m facility on old fire station site

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Purrfect start for animal charity’s new £2.1m facility on old fire station site

• Author

WreX-iT
    Participant

I quite enjoyed reading the comments on this subject on Facebook.

If the crazy old cat ladies want to give their money to rescue cats rather than donate it to help the homeless or something else to do with helping humankind, then they are free to.

I would ask to see the books if i was donating because after building the facility, buying catnip and kitty kat, there must be a LOT of money left over.

My guess is that the cats are all getting iPads …..

Matt
    Participant

I guarantee 99% of those on Facebook bitching about money going to cats rather than those on the streets donate exactly £0 to homeless causes themselves & probably next to nothing to charities in general.

Llayby lilly
    Participant

wrex-it…I’m confident that we can have both, that is meaningful support for people less fortunate and cats in need of protection. I also bet they will have a beautiful building at the end of this for a fraction of the cost of Ty Pawb…it will also look finished and have more foot fall lol

Maureen Gray
    Participant

My biggest whinge is they should have saved the iconic front of the old fire station – another bit of mine and the old towns history gone! Even with Ty Pawb they kept the old car park look and feel!

janeywxm
    Participant

I can perfectly understand why some people would rather donate to an animal charity rather than support human beings. As a species we are not exactly that nice at times!

Janey

Ioan y Ffin
    Participant

Seems an obvious location for a Cat sanctuary right next to a Catholic Cathedral.

Councillor X
    Participant

Waiting to read the results of Matt’s survey:

“I guarantee 99% of those on Facebook bitching about money going to cats rather than those on the streets donate exactly £0 to homeless causes themselves & probably next to nothing to charities in general.”

I have my hat here ready to eat ….

IMHO
    Participant

“Seems an obvious location for a Cat sanctuary right next to a Catholic Cathedral.”

Certainly, you wouldn’t want it to be a childrens home, would you now?

WreX-iT
    Participant

Catholics and Cats, now that is a story in itself.

On June 13, 1233, Pope Gregory IX issued the Vox in Rama, an official papal decree declaring that Satan was half-cat and sometimes took the form of a cat during Satanic masses. Catholics around the continent began slaughtering any feline that entered their property.

Not a good place to put a cat home and if they escape into the cathedral they will not be seen again.

“One can love animals,” the Catechism says. “One should not direct them the affection due only to persons.”

bubble
    Participant

“One can love animals,” the Catechism says. “One should not direct them the affection due only to persons.”

I don’t think the ‘faithful’ amongst any religions have any qualms when it comes to picking and choosing which rules they follow & those they ignore.

I never understand why some people take issue with those who choose to donate to animal charities. It’s charity. It’s voluntary. People can donate to whichever charities they prefer, or not donate at all if they wish. There’s no requirement for it to be a charity approved by someone else (other than the Charity Commission, arguably).

I prefer to donate to animal charities. I make a regular monthly payment to one & donate items to the Cats Protection shop in town. Sometimes I donate to charities that help ‘humankind’ – including those that help people in other countries.

However, I will not donate to charities for homelessness in the UK as I feel the term ‘homeless’ is now a euphemism for substance abuse – a sanitised and more sympathetic spin on what the real problem is. I have no problem politely but flatly refusing to donate to such charities. I’ve lived next door to substance abusers before they were made homeless and even after that I tried volunteering for a few months with a ‘homelessness’ charity here in Wrexham, but I won’t do it again. I honestly consider money donated to such charities to mainly be money thrown down the drain.

Right or wrong, that is my opinion, based on my experience. But if other people want to donate their money to homelessness charities, then I don’t have a problem with that at all. So I don’t understand why it is that other people take issue with those of us who choose to donate to animal charities. It is our money and we can spend it however we like.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

What to expect with new first minister set to be appointed and cabinet reshuffle on the horizon

News

Updated: Firefighters called to incident at Bryn Lane recycling centre

News

Wrexham Council first in north Wales to install men’s sanitary bins in public toilets

News

Former Debenhams store in Wrexham could become trampoline park

News

Video: Wrexham market’s historic secrets are being uncovered amid refurb

News

Competition watchdog launches investigation into £2.5 billion merger between Flintshire based Redrow and Barratt

News