Pubs Not Allowed to Sell Alcohol in Build Up to Christmas

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Pubs Not Allowed to Sell Alcohol in Build Up to Christmas

• Author

Matt
    Participant

At a time of year where people traditionally like to get together and get drunk and perhaps have a meal with work colleagues or family and friends, is it really a wise idea to blanket ban the sale of alcohol in places such as pubs and bars where sensible social distancing restrictions can be observed and enforced?

We all know, like with prohibition era America, drinking will just go on elsewhere completely unrestricted and uncaught. I imagine even more so as people will just be able to buy far more cheap booze from the supermarkets instead. So people will be less responsible and pile into house parties that the police won’t be able to track down or stop – meaning a spike in cases of Covid created by measures supposedly looking to get the numbers down.

I’m not being funny but it’s been a completely sh*t year and yes many will play by the rules and just stay in, but others quite simply won’t care to or mentally won’t be able to cope with yet another depressing set of punitive measures.

You couple this with the fact that there will be not other forms of entertainment venues open either and the weather too miserable and dark too early for outdoor recreational activities that could be enjoyed during the Spring/Summer lockdown.

I’ve typically backed Drakeford but he’s on his way to become Oliver Cromwell and the banning of Christmas or any fun in the most literal Puritanical sense.

JaneJ
    Participant

Off licences and Supermarkets will be in for a bonanza Matt – as you say people will not stop they will just adjust location and because it will be cheaper will more likely drink a lot more.
    A 6.00am cut off does not seem fair on the hospitality industry. It feels like WG have ensured that lots of after work parties are stopped- this could lead to more office parties in their own offices for those who are not working from home.

ChillDoubt
    Participant

That’s akin to paying a prostitute for her services but only ending up getting a bedtime story!

Ioan y Ffin
    Participant

Don’t need to add to what Matt has written. He has summed up the situation and highlighted the failings inherent in the latest Welsh government announcement.

WreX-iT
    Participant

Matt, I don’t want to see prohibition with the likes of Al Capone taking over Wrexham lager but the reason all of this is happening is because of the d1ckheads who cant keep to the rules.

Did you ever used to go out on Mad Friday? Fun and chaos in equal measures and everyone kissing and hugging each other. Fast forward to 2020 and its the ideal conditions to spread COVID and fill hospital beds.

I would rather see a dozen have a house party than have hundreds of festive drunks spreading their love and bugs in pubs. I was in town shopping and had to walk into the road to get past a large gang of happy drunks where nobody wore masks. They were having a great time but at what expense?

Soul Suite will be open for food and non alcoholic drinks so will be going there on Saturday then going home with my Wrexham Lager to watch Come Dacing.

BenjaminM
    Participant

Totally agree with you WreX_iT, your post states fact based on direct observation and precedent whereas Matt’s post, however well presented, is based purely on conjecture.
    Saying that, I have great sympathy for the hospitality industry but feel however that whatever level of control they try to maintain in their premises, the minority of patrons will not adhere to the restrictions imposed.
    The situation is dire across the U.K. but I think that Wales is acting more responsibly when compared to the remainder of the U.K.

TimRegency
    Participant

You mean apart from the small matter of prohibition in America, Benjamin? That’s a precedent loaded with fact.

Few disputes are black and white, but I find Wrex-IT’s argument more persuasive this time.

My worry is that people are drinking more due to virus anxiety, cabin fever etc and doctors and nurses will already be very busy dealing with the results of Covid and flu. The last thing hospitals need is an influx of people who’ve had too much to drink.

BenjaminM
    Participant

It’s stretching it somewhat to compare the American prohibition from 1920-33 to an 11 day suspension of ‘on sale’ of alcohol in Wales as the restriction is up for review on 17th Dec.
    The restriction is tough I know but the fall out from Covid 19 is far tougher.

WreX-iT
    Participant

Many of ‘us’ (myself included here) have turned to havin a few more drinks over lockdown but with the Welsh Government’s tax on it, i am spending two or three times what i used to at home now and i struggle to afford it. I am not a hospital case through my drinking and i suspect most are sensible drunks too.

Would you believe i stopped drinking on 1st March because of the inflated prices but by Mothers day i was going to Chester to buy booze.

I won’t risk going to the local for a pint but if Tim Matt and Benjamin want to discuss it over a pot of tea at Marubbi’s Temperance Bar let me know. Them i’m off to bed for a prostitute to tell me a bed time story.

AMA Express
    Participant

JD Wetherspoon will close its pubs in Wales when new restrictions on hospitality come into force on Friday the chain’s chairman has said.

http://www.deeside.com/jd-wetherspoon-chairman-not-viable-to-open-its-pubs-in-wales-from-friday/?utm_source=northdotwalesmixer

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Wrexham Council set to decide on 20mph ‘adjustments’ which ‘begin from September’

News

Wales’ fire authorities lack accountability amid harassment allegations, Senedd hears

News

Closure plan for Welshpool and Caernarfon Air Ambulance bases confirmed – with new base planned for ‘middle of North Wales’

News

Trading Standards warning over Facebook user “fraudulently advertising events locally”

News

The Ultimate Guide to Nickelodeon Resort Punta Cana

News

The Essential Guide to User Acceptance Testing (UAT)

News