Pubs, clubs and the smoking law.

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Pubs, clubs and the smoking law.

• Author

Rondetto
    Participant

Some pubs and clubs have catered quite well for smokers, while others haven’t either got the space or the money to erect an outside shelter of any sort.
    I was impressed at Manchester airport recently, they have in both terminals now catered for smokers. It’s covered and there is a mesh all around what basically is a large shed, but at least they’ve put some thought into it. They must have consulted the law before erecting these and if pubs and clubs did the same, I’m sure people would start patronising them again.

Welsh Dresser
    Participant

As alcohol is so readily available in supermarkets and cheaper it’s going to take some doing to entice people back into the pubs. The only pubs that seem to doing well are those that provide food.

Rondetto
    Participant

True, times have changed and meals and snacks have taken over from the traditional pubs. But the smoking ban has driven many pubs and clubs to close.
    I know there is an argument about rising prices, but if you like one or two evenings out with three or four pints I think whatever the price, you would still do that.

Welsh Dresser
    Participant

Our local Legion seems to do quite well. The younger ones go to for the darts and snooker and the social activities there are well attended. My one drink a week doesn’t help much but I do try :)

Rondetto
    Participant

You’re pushing the boat out there with one drink a week.:D

NJones
    Participant

I think the smoking law was mishandled. There was an opportunity to either licence smoking in pubs and clubs like serving alcohol- create a room for smokers only with extraction and collection point of glasses so staff don’t have to go in. Other option was to ban in completely outside any entrances or exits that are on a public highway. Take Wetherspoons in Wrexham. What use is a smoking area where everyone who doesn’t smoke going through it?

Personally I’d be happy to see in banned form all public places. Their must be cost savings to the NHS if this happened.

Rondetto
    Participant

Surely a room for smokers would have been more beneficial to all and saved many pubs and clubs from closing.

BenjaminM
    Participant

The advent of e- cigarettes has brought a change to the many ‘traditional’ smokers’ habits and the use of them is perfectly legal in premises, as they are not tobacco based and emit no smoke, just a vapour. Yet many licenced premises prohibit their use. Indeed, all that they contain is nicotine which has about the same affect as caffeine on the user (as stated by the BMA).
    I feel confident that if licencees used a little more discretion, custom would increase irrespective of the cost of an on sale alcoholic beverage.
    Traditionally, people (generally) who frequent public houses on a regular basis are smokers, like it or not.

Rondetto
    Participant

Well said. You are so right. I’ve been out this evening and it’s been a nice warm night. In fact there were more sitting outside smoking and drinking than there was in the bar and lounge.

Andy
    Participant

“Their must be cost savings to the NHS if this happened”

Smokers pay 10 times more in duty than costs to the NHS. Tobacco duty is estimated to be 5p in income tax for everyone.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Warning issued after ‘lithium battery’ causes fire at Wrexham recycling centre

News

Demand for Welsh courses ‘outstripping capacity’

News

New economy minister sets out his priorities for Wales

News

7 Facts You Should (or Shouldn’t) Go For a Ph.D.

News

Proposals submitted to turn Wrexham beauty salon into children’s home

News

Friends take on 45-mile ultramarathon to raise funds for mental health charity

News