PUBS CLOSED TILL SEPTEMBER?

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum PUBS CLOSED TILL SEPTEMBER?

• Author

Councillor X
    Participant

I have done well so far and Mrs Counc. X is still talking to me but what if this is true? A lot of pubs will never make it and loads of jobs will be lost. Boozing is not as important as the Virus i know but it does make me sad because you meet friends and a lot of people have no other life.

ALSO you can only watch your video of Zulu so many times before you get bored.

AND Richard Branson wants the Government to bail out his airline … cheeky focker!

Anonymous
    Inactive

A hero is someone who doesn’t read the Scum.

Matt
    Participant

X, I firmly believe it will be the death of a large number of locals. There’s already greedy pub chains demanding rent continues to get paid costing several thousand pounds whilst pubs remain shut and are unable to make any money whatsoever.

These places are run by families, who employ lots of locals who are pillars of the communities and these pubs have been serving certain people for 50+ years. Just like Branson we are beginning to see who all the rich greedy ones are who are only looking out for money, which they can afford to lose during this lockdown period, whilst they want the common folk out on the streets starving with no money, no shelter and no way to provide.

I also think the idea of keeping boozers shut down last whilst other social distancing measures are relaxed will be a complete disaster, at least in a pub environment you have a well ordered drinking environment with bouncers etc… If pubs remain shut but people are allowed to visit others and go out and about then there’ll be thousands of raging house parties, BBQs, beach parties and park parties – you name it people will be getting three sheets to the wind everywhere – not maintaining social distance and getting hammered on cheap supermarket booze – even with the Welsh Minimum Drinking prices in place. It’ll be absolute chaos to police and the spread of coronavirus will still occur. Then if they put a halt to that, then they aren’t relaxing social distancing rules at all, so it will be self defeating.

Let the pubs re-open, maintain stricter visitor limits initially – at least it means trade will get steadier and perhaps people will spread visits out across the week, so it’ll be busy Monday to Sunday rather than just a few days of the week.

TimRegency
    Participant

No. The second wave could easily be more deadly.

Matt
    Participant

Tim, if and when the second wave comes we’ll all be in lockdown again like this.

But if it is safe to do so then when the lockdown rules are relaxed then public gatherings are going to happen. In this instance, it is not the case that we can allow the entire pub trade which employs almost half a million people to die off.

This would be absolutely ludicrous. There are several other industries massively at risk the longer they remain non operational, which includes the dining sector, the entertainment and leisure sector, high street retail and the travel sector.

There is a huge caveat that lives and health must always come first, but at some point life has to start up again. Sadly, we’re too far down the capitalist rabbit hole for things to be fixed. The extent of Western capitalism, particularly the US & UK require a constant 24/7/365 always on economy to remain sustainable – it’s boom or bust. The Coronavirus has shown this weakness massively.

Yet again, I must force myself to mention what is going on in the US, but the fact that next month’s oil barrel stock prices went negative and people are having to pay to take oil off their hands because too much is being produced. Right now over there if you have huge liquid storage reserves or a warehouse, you could be paid by someone to take all their oil off them at the price you’d have paid them last month to buy it, plus you’d then have a long term asset to sell off at a massive profit when oil prices finally recover. Because oil production cannot stop, just like the other money making trades cannot stop or they just collapse.

If we do see all the local pubs go bust because of health reasons. The only way to kick-start them back up would to have nationalised Boozers – imagine the National Pub Chain of Wales – they could then let them operate rent free and rates free and cut alcohol duty for the foreseeable until the industry could stand up on its own two feet.

Yes, there’s going to be absolute bores who complain about drinking impacts on the NHS but quite frankly the impact is causes in comparison to Coronavirus on people and NHS is small in comparison. You have to let people have some vices and enjoyment otherwise what is the point in living.

Matt
    Participant

Foot in my mouth after stating that about NHS and alcohol last night. Apparently over 50s knocking lumps out of each other after a skinful.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52360728

Councillor X
    Participant

What are you intimidating matt? eh? eh? You saying I cannot hold me ale mate? You lookin at my Mrs? and you can stop makin stuff up to look like a hard knock. You are goin to get duffed over with insulations like you make. older peeps saved you durin the war you southern poof

parkingmad
    Participant

I wouldn’t let the Welsh government run the National Pub Chain of Wales. they couldn’t run a p*ss up in a brewery.

Matt
    Participant

Parkingmad, I was referring in principle that a nationalisation would be the only way to get the pubs to reopen, unless there was a massive industry bailout – because as it stands the likes of Marston’s and other major chains are at risk of going bust. They had huge debts already.

They had to have a special financial condition put in place today that allows them to avoid defaulting on loans
    https://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/Article/2020/04/21/Marston-s-granted-covid-19-funding-agreement-waiver

If the big fish are in trouble, then things will be worse for the independent locals.

Andy
    Participant

The big fish have been in trouble for decades. This crisis could be the killer blow for them. Perhaps they will be replaced by a better business model for tenant landlords.
    Marstons £1.3 Billion in debt
    Punch £1.5 Billion.
    Enterprise inns £1.6 Billion.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Welsh Government funding for children’s hospices not enough, says sector leader

News

College’s celebration of education and diversity goes from strength to strength

News

Clean energy projects ‘harming’ rural Wales, warns Conservative MS

News

News

Drug driver jailed after fatal Johnstown road traffic collision

News

Multi-million pound investment to transform Old Library into “creative industries powerhouse”

News