Public transport failures!

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Public transport failures!

• Author

Transportuser
    Participant

I’ve lurked on here for quite some time now, but kept a grip on my frustration.
    However, tonight has been the breaking point so prepare yourselves for an ongoing outpouring.

We’ve had a few issues, over the last year or two, with the seeming lack of understanding that GHA, in particular, have with the expression “TIME TABLE”.
    Some drivers seem to think it’s a challenge to beat – i.e. get to the destination before the designated arrival time, others to pass stops before the designated time, then wait at an ongoing stop to get back on time table!

Last night took the biscuit!
    We left the Bridge End, Ruabon, to catch the T3, due at 1917 from the bus stop adjacent to the turning for the railway station.
    We exited the pub, at 1911, to see the T3 pass by!
    Yes, it was 1911, accurate, not guessed, as I’ve had that argument before!
    That’s a full 6 mins early!
    In the past I’d always assume that, when we have missed this bus, it has been late because of the length of its journey and that our missing our connection has been due to that.
    It had never occurred to us that it had been so early that we had not even noticed it going by!

Who monitors the adherence to timetables? From my experience it would seem to be nobody.
    What parameters should they adhere to. From the last bus users chat at the bus station I was led to believe no more than 1 min early, 2 min late.
    What can I do to recover my costs if I’m forced to take a taxi if the last bus runs early, and leaves me stranded?
    After all, they’ve not kept to their contract so they must be accountable, surely?

It was my understanding that public transport should be promoted as it’s a much more energy efficient way of moving people around.
    A reliable public transport system means that the use of private vehicles is reduced and, much more importantly, the need for people to even contemplate drinking and driving, even to a moderate extent, is removed.

The critical point about this is RELIABLE.

That is not what we have at the moment and something that should be attended to as soon as possible.

Perhaps we should seek out the home telephone numbers of those responsible and phone them any time of the day or night the system falls over?

It’s what I have to cope with in my work, so why not them?

Regards

Transportuser

Born Acorn
    Participant

I few years ago I was on the no 10 to Minera. The driver left King Street 10 minutes early! He got to Southsea when he decided to do a three point turn and go back!

I definitely got my moneys worth from that journey!

Council Watcher
    Participant

You need to check with Wrexham Council — I believe every bus operating after 6.00pm in the Wrexham area is subsidised. Ring 292000 to seek information and complain — good luck if you get any rebate/compensation

pete
    Participant

Yesterday we got the Arriva bus from St Martins to Ellesmere. It was due at 10:16, it didn’t turn up until 10:29 and we were the only ones on the bus the whole way (maybe everyone else had given up waiting).

The timetable at the stop did say “all times are approximate”…

Transportuser
    Participant

Being late, particularly as there’s no way of knowing if it has gone, is annoying enough.
    however, there can, at times, be an excuse/reason.
    There is absolutely no reason, or excuse, for a bus being early.

Transportuser

johnhoppy
    Participant

I would agree with Transportuser that there is no excuse for buses running early. I have looked at the timetables for this route and I notice that the 5 servicce from Llangollen to Wrexham is timed to pass Ruabon at 1914, so I presume that he would not have missed this bus. GHA have two service buses running within 3 minutes of each other along virtually the same route, and whilst I would not justify the actions of the guy driving from Barmouth at the end of a probably very long shift to push for home I can understand it, and he was not leaving passengers stranded.

Transportuser
    Participant

[quote quote=94870]I would agree with Transportuser that there is no excuse for buses running early. I have looked at the timetables for this route and I notice that the 5 servicce from Llangollen to Wrexham is timed to pass Ruabon at 1914, so I presume that he would not have missed this bus. GHA have two service buses running within 3 minutes of each other along virtually the same route, and whilst I would not justify the actions of the guy driving from Barmouth at the end of a probably very long shift to push for home I can understand it, and he was not leaving passengers stranded.

[/quote]
    If only life were that simple!
    Your presumption is completely incorrect.
    There wasn’t any sign of the 5 service, whilst I was at the bus stop.
    I’d have been less likely to complain if it had made an appearance.
    Either it too was very early, or, more likely, it was running late as usual.
    How can a bus coming all the from Barmouth be early, and one from Llan late?

The number 2, due at 24 mins past, was at least close to time.
    Unfortunately that was too late for my on going connection, the reason for my aiming for the T3, resulting in a protracted wait at our delightful bus station.
    That’s a story for another time.

So you’ll excuse me if I can’t see anything remotely acceptable in the driver’s actions.

Two GHA busses, both failing to keep to the timetable!
    No wonder some people can’t understand why I even bother with using the bus.
    At least, on this occasion, Arriva managed to keep close to their obligations.
    So Arriva get the money, and GHA lose the money from two busses.

Regards

Transportuser

Council Watcher
    Participant

Have you been in touch with Council yet for their view on their subsidised services. Aso contract Clr D Bithel form Johnstown as he is Lead Member for Transport, road etc.
    [email protected]

Transportuser
    Participant

[quote quote=94952]Have you been in touch with Council yet for their view on their subsidised services. Aso contract Clr D Bithel form Johnstown as he is Lead Member for Transport, road etc.
    [email protected]

[/quote]
    Not yet.
    I’m just updating the long list of obvious failings.

The last couple of times GHA left me stranded I spoke to them.
    They didn’t seem particularly interested!

I asked one driver what time he was due at a particular stop, as he had gone past very early.
    He claimed not to know?
    Apparently, he knew what time he was to leave the start point and just drove until he got to Wrexham, without any reference to what time he passed any bus stop!

I’ve spoken to council officials in the past, at sessions they’ve had in King Street.
    Disinterested is the thought that comes to mind.

Regards

Transportuser

Daave63
    Participant

You would be better off reporting bus service issues to :

http://www.bususers.org/cymru-wales

giving specific times and dates of incidents.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Three ‘never events’ reported at health board during February

News

Clwyd South MS welcomes plans for baby loss certificates for bereaved parents

News

More detail on club accounts as owners will ‘continue to offer minority equity positions to strategic partners’

News

Turnover up 75% as Wrexham AFC say ‘losses shouldnt be repeated’ as payroll nears £7m

News

Lasit Spearheads a Clean Revolution: Laser Technology Redefines Industrial Cleaning

News

Shape Your Future: Unique Student Opportunities at Wrexham University

News