Proposed Council Savings 2013/14

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Proposed Council Savings 2013/14

• Author

wrexview
    Participant

The Council website has details of all their proposed savings. The Connect Magazine is to finish , which makes sense in the present economic climate, saving £24,000 per year. However an article earlier in the year on Wrexham.com said it cost £45,894.71 per year to produce, so why only a saving of £24,000 ?

Another interesting line in each department’s saving is ” telephone contract savings” by adding them all up it comes to a staggering £129,000. A very good deal now or a very poor one before?

locallad
    Participant

Stop paying £300,000 plus a year to the Police for the PCSOs.They are not worth it.

emmawxm
    Participant

The amount of money spent every year on councillors is horrendous, do we really need a councillor for every single ward. Why cannot wards be merged and councillors cover a bigger area? Or is this too ‘political’??

thewayneinspain
    Participant

The survey is absolute gibberish and without definitions. It’s tantamount to “newspeak” like in Orwell’s 1984.

That is not democracy, it’s only aim is to passively pursuade the locals to agree with what the council has already decided.

The councillors involved should resign out of shame. They are not being democratic.

Alunh
    Participant

The Council is elected…..therefore it is democratic.

Whoever was in office would make cut backs. The key is to try and find an optimal way forward

thewayneinspain
    Participant

@Alunh 2460 wrote:

The Council is elected…..therefore it is democratic.

Whoever was in office would make cut backs. The key is to try and find an optimal way forward

the survey’s aim is to co-erce the locals down a particular route. To accept rather than challenge the findings of the counciland therefore accept where the cuts will be.

Alunh
    Participant

Always challenge. Sadly the budgetary goalposts are only capable of X amount of expenditure. Difficult choices for all Councils and Central government

thewayneinspain
    Participant

…but according to the council the difficult choices will be influenced by consultation with the electorate of the council. However, it’s a fudge because the only possible answers that the locals give have been decided by the council already.

it’s not democracy.

Sam
    Participant

@thewayneinspain 2491 wrote:

…but according to the council the difficult choices will be influenced by consultation with the electorate of the council. However, it’s a fudge because the only possible answers that the locals give have been decided by the council already.

it’s not democracy.

“a fudge ” ? Please elaborate on this statement.

The council surely can propose where the cuts maybe best made, because they have all facts and figures too hand. Of course, there maybe some bias with the choices as everyone, yes everyone, doesn’t want to see cuts effecting them.

I’m also curious with your analogy of the survey being ‘newspeak’. All information we can collate as a civilised race, gives us knowledge. It’s up to the individual to work out the fact, fiction and lies. That’s how it works !

Or are you suggesting that super people who know everything, or claim too, have the right to speak over everyone, because what they say is important and is the be all and end all. Don’t you think that is a little 1984’ish ?

In this topic, you seem too hint at people don’t have the resources or intelligence to make their own mind up and are ‘ passively persuaded ‘ to go with what they say. Very thin ice you seem to walk upon regarding this.

Anyway, you’ll be glad to know that the local councillor has not taken me into a darkened room, shone a light into my eye’s whilst administering drugs. So I guess I can make up my own mind, thank you.

thewayneinspain
    Participant

why can’t the constituents be given the same facts? Or do you think they are too stupid to evaluate them?

The accounts & the details given out by the council leaves too much out. Hence why i used the term like newspeak.

The questionnaire doet not give the constituents an opportunity to evaluate. again this is newspeak.

Yes what the council has done is very 1984 because it avoids the opportunity for the voters to speak out, that’s why i used term newspeak (as the term is taken from it) rather than spin.

If the council wanted the constituents to make an informed evaluation they could have chosen a form of direct democracy rather than a survey.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Drug driver jailed after fatal Johnstown road traffic collision

News

Multi-million pound investment to transform Old Library into “creative industries powerhouse”

News

The Adventure of Discovery: Why Field Trips Matter for Learning

News

Senedd rejects legal requirement for residential outdoor education in schools

News

New solar farm project planned in Wrexham could power over 22,000 homes

News

Welsh Affairs Committee Rob & Ryan comment ‘taken out of context’ says Deputy Leader of Council

News