Proposed Coal Bed Methane Well…

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Proposed Coal Bed Methane Well…

• Author

Sheefag
    Participant

If Wrexham declares itself a ‘frack Free Zone’, will they continue to receive funds raised through taxes raised on fracking in other areas?

wrexview
    Participant

“Frack-Free Wrexham is at the forefront of campaigning against unconventional underground gas extraction of which there are major environmental concerns.”

The row over underground gas extraction erupted again this week after Wrexham MP Ian Lucas and Clwyd South MP Susan Elan Jones abstained from a vote to suspend fracking in the Commons.”

This is a quote from the Daily Post . Our local MP’s sat on the fence and missed an opportunity to vote in favour of suspending fracking.

Metalhead
    Participant

From Tessa Munt’s blog (Vince Cable’s former parliamentary assistant who resigned a few days ago over this issue):

‘Interestingly, two of Britain’s biggest unions – the GMB and Unite – weighed in yesterday morning, begging Labour MPs not to support a ban on fracking. This may go some way to explaining the confusion over what was happening in the House of Commons and Labour’s 180˚ about-turn.’

This story was also reported here: GMB and Unite unions helped save fracking from ban | City A.M.

Captain C
    Participant

Why would they want to carry out fracking in the House of Commons?:rolleyes:

Mr Wonderful
    Participant

@Captain C 18421 wrote:

I’d love to see fragging not fracking in the House of Commons!

Sheefag
    Participant

@Captain C 18421 wrote:

Oh. My aching sides. Oh.

Mrs Crewe
    Participant

So far all the arguments I’ve seen from the anti-fracking groups are of extremely dubious scientific sources and contain a high proportion of quackademics. It also seems strange that they are agitating against fracking when the coal mines they agitated for in the 80s had the same issues of minor earth tremors and such.
    There are genuine objections to fracking, it is still a fossil fuel, even if it is cleaner than coal and oil. Shouldn’t we be investing in sustainable energy, finding ways of making it more reliable and economic. Not wanting an industrial site where there was once a green field is also a genuine reason. Yes it’s nimbyism but still genuine, understandable and honest.

There has been a rise in the last few decades of an anti-science culture, from anti-vaccination groups to anti-GMO. They protest and harangue but their arguments are based on sandcastle science, impressive only to builder and gone in a wave. However they have built up a huge following using fear as a motivator and have succeeded in causing real harm. A measles outbreak in South Wales claimed a life, investments into GMO has fallen, which means instead of being closer to ending world hunger we are futher away.
    Using fake science and fear to fuel your protest against something, does nothing but harm to your cause. The whole green cause was badly damaged by these tactics making it harder to take ecological issues seriously. Thanks to the unreasonable behaviour of militant fanatics the genuine message was lost for too long.
    I am not suggesting that people shouldn’t be passionate about things they support, or they are against. I am asking that they present arguments based on fact and evidence supported by rigorous testing and research. I am asking they present their arguments in reasoned debate, using speech and intelligence to persuade people that their view is correct. I also ask that they apply critical thinking to any claims made by either side of the argument, and don’t just accept outlandish claims because they a shouted the loudest.

dagg
    Participant

I’m all for giving fracking a trial run.

wrexview
    Participant

What happens if “just giving it a try” poisons the watercourses . Is it worth the gamble ?

Mrs Crewe
    Participant

Poisons the watercourses? Please provide evidence of this risk, or is this another example of the use of fear that the anti-fracking employ?

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

7 Facts You Should (or Shouldn’t) Go For a Ph.D.

News

Proposals submitted to turn Wrexham beauty salon into children’s home

News

Friends take on 45-mile ultramarathon to raise funds for mental health charity

News

Three arrested over ‘intent to supply Class B drugs’

News

16 year old charged with range of driving offences in Rhos

News

A view from Wrexham’s Member of Parliament

News