Proposed Coal Bed Methane Well…

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Proposed Coal Bed Methane Well…

• Author

Metalhead
    Participant

@Chris 12494 wrote:

What grounds did they refuse it on, because it could be a costly one.

Didn’t attend the planning meeting myself but it does give a brief summary in the Daily Post article posted earlier, this story was also covered by the Evening Leader but their article says pretty much the same thing:

The Leader – News from Wrexham & Flintshire – Anti-fracking campaigners celebrate ‘landmark’ vote

Huw
    Participant

Happy days!!

Chris
    Participant

So going off the newspaper reports the issues raised were drilling into the unknown – so we dont have a history of mining in this area then? The gas having an effect on the water table – again a history of coal mining in the area which regularly drilled bore holes to take gas measures.
    I think in this case the uniformed councillors have been swayed by public opinion. I really hope this will not hurt us financially because it wasnt rejected on sound grounds, remember this was a test hole not fracking. Considering the fracking industry know there are high amounts of gas down there I cant see them giving up that easy.

Our only hope is they will be enough at Point of Air to keep them busy.

Metalhead
    Participant

@Chris 12518 wrote:

So going off the newspaper reports the issues raised were drilling into the unknown – so we dont have a history of mining in this area then? The gas having an effect on the water table – again a history of coal mining in the area which regularly drilled bore holes to take gas measures.
    I think in this case the uniformed councillors have been swayed by public opinion. I really hope this will not hurt us financially because it wasnt rejected on sound grounds, remember this was a test hole not fracking. Considering the fracking industry know there are high amounts of gas down there I cant see them giving up that easy.

Our only hope is they will be enough at Point of Air to keep them busy.

I suspect the ‘drilling into the unknown’ comment regarded the issues that could possibly be present at this particular location. The only way to find out for sure would be to have carried out the test drilling and what if any of these issues were present there…? The planning committee needed guarantees and there was just no way anyone could have given those. I agree the applicant will not give up so easily and like most I suspect an appeal will now follow.

You are correct, this application was for a test extraction and not for ‘fracking’. However there are only 3 companies licenced to carry out this kind of extraction in the UK and the company behind this application is one of them. I am honestly not surprised many residents seem skeptical and fear what the long term plan here could be. I’m curious Chris, did you attend any of the resident consultation events DART Energy held last year?, if so what did you reckon? Were you convinced that this application was appropriate for this area/location? Were any of your fears and concerns allayed? I am not any kind of expert in these matters, nor am I green eco warrior but like most of the residents I spoke to (who did attend) I left there totally unconvinced that this is a good idea. Be very interested to hear the views of others who may have been convinced otherwise.

Also it’s hardly a secret that our Prime Minister is all for this but surely anyone living in reasonably close proximity to this proposed extraction point must be just a little bit concerned if his latest proposition gets passed…?

Trespass law overhauled to make it easier for frackers | Mail Online

…on the plus side looks like they would be inline for a whopping £100 compensation though, result! :rolleyes:

Katia
    Participant

Once again WAG disregarding Wrexham Council.
    I really hope anybody that feels strongly against the creep towards fracking will attend the planned meeting ‘Protect Borras From Fracking Before It’s Too Late’ organised for October 23rd at the Cunliffe Arms.

From BBC.co.uk
    Concerns Over Gas Drilling Go-Ahead In Wrexham
    BBC News – Concerns over gas drilling go-ahead in Wrexham

From Wrexham.com
    “A controversial appeal to test drill for underground gas in Wrexham has been given the go ahead – despite concerns raised by local residents and Wrexham Council.
    A Planning Inspector has granted the go ahead for GP Energy to drill on land near Commonwood Farm, Borras, depsite an initial refusal by Wrexham’s Planning Committee.
    The planning application to drill in Borras was initially rejected by Wrexham Councillors at the start of the year, who raised concerns over environmental issues and the lack of information on the actual drilling process.
    However Clive Nield, an Inspector appointed by Welsh Ministers has granted the appeal, stating: “I consider the proposal would not be unsustainably located and that risks of it causing pollution, geological instability or subsidence would be negligible. The proposal would be in accordance with development plan and national policy.”

zinger
    Participant

Does anyone know anything about the water in the Flash. I remember some old miners saying that the water there was to do with Rhosddu Colliery. You would have expected it to be connected to Gresford.

Metalhead
    Participant

Wrexham.com you might want to report on this at some point?

Plaid Wrecsam: Breaking news: Anti-fracking camp set up to protect Borras

zinger
    Participant

If the water in the Flash was connected to the closing of Rhosddu Colliery & yet nothing to do with Gresford, would that have any connection with the geological fault in the Gresford/Llay area?

dewi73
    Participant

I was always lead to believe the flash was an old gravel pit.

johnhoppy
    Participant

The connection of The Flash to Gresford Colliery is that it seems that the sealed off portion of the pit lies beneath it.

WCBC: Gresford Colliery – Down the Pit – Map

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Turnover up 75% as Wrexham AFC say ‘losses shouldnt be repeated’ as payroll nears £7m

News

Lasit Spearheads a Clean Revolution: Laser Technology Redefines Industrial Cleaning

News

Shape Your Future: Unique Student Opportunities at Wrexham University

News

From Campus to Community: The Role of Wrexham’s Colleges in Local Economic Development

News

Beyond Academics: A Closer Look at Extracurricular Opportunities in Wrexham’s Colleges

News

Off-road motorcyclists ‘using their bikes dangerously’ warned they ‘will be seized’

News