Priorities for the new Council?

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Priorities for the new Council?

• Author

wrexview
    Participant

Yesterday Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg, on his visit to Wrexham praised Aled Roberts and his colleagues on “their outstanding achievement in turning around attainment in schools.” How can this be true when three of the town’s secondary schools have been placed in the lowest band 5 according to their performance. Our neighbouring Councils Denbighshire , Flintshire and Conway have no schools in this lowest band. Finding ways to raise the level of achievement of secondary school pupils should be a priority for the new Council.

Conde
    Participant

As far as I know, the current council have are currently deciding the priorities for the next council to take.

wrexview
    Participant

Ian Lucas asked an interesting question to the Treasury on April 23 rd 2012.
    His enquiry was for information regarding how many children were in receipt of Child Benefit in Wrexham. The results are 17355 families receive benefit for a total of 29455 children. The breakdown being 8380 under 5’s , 9100, 5-10 year olds, 7820 11-15 year olds and 4150 over 16. I was struck by the large increase in numbers of primary age children and the potential effect on the education budget as they enter secondary education. Staffing, accommodation and transport are just a few. Something for the new Council to ponder or has the present Council already got plans underway?

Conde
    Participant

@wrexview 726 wrote:

Ian Lucas asked an interesting question to the Treasury on April 23 rd 2012…..
    how many children were in receipt of Child Benefit in Wrexham…..
    17355 families receive benefit for a total of 29455 children….
    8380 under 5’s , 9100, 5-10 year olds, 7820 11-15 year olds and 4150 over 16. …

As a young person from a family that at a few points in my life, have required child benefit, I’m really glad it was there.
    The Welsh government, earlier this year, to get the approval of the Welsh Liberal Democrats, passed the “Pupil Deprivation Grant” (The Welsh version of the pupil premium), this grant see’s £20,000,000 funding re-allocated to schools in area’s of deprivation, and I think, (I’m not 100% on this part) is calculated on the ammount of pupils on free school meals.

Personally, I think this is a fantastic move, and congratulate every last person who was involved in pushing this fantastic bit of legislation through.
    Statistics have shown that only 1 in 5 people on free school meals, actually achieve 5 A*’s to C’s in their GCSE’s and there is a measureable difference in atainment even from the age of 4.
    Just to show people what this means in real-terms, only 1 in 5 people who are on free school meals, will statistically attend college for AS levels or BTECs in “year 12” ( First year of college).

I don’t know if the council has got plans in place, hopefully if elected, I’ll know more about it. Being a young person who has grown up, at times on or below the breadline, I take a special relationship with any legislation that promotes giving people the same chances in life, regardless of background or unfortunate economic circumstances.

wrexview
    Participant

A comprehensive review of traffic flow around the town centre is also needed!

wrexview
    Participant

So with two days to go until polling day my three priorities for the new council are, improve the standard of education, attract more jobs and sort out the town flow of traffic around the town centre. What would your main priorities be?

Speediecars
    Participant

Totally agree with wrexview!

Traffic flow in Wrexham is totally horrendous!!

Draig Wrecsam
    Participant

I find it surprising that a town the size of Wrexham does not have a Park and Ride scheme in place. A possible site would be Ruthin Road as it has ample room and is adjacent to the A483. A bus that stopped in the town centre and Eagles Meadow could ease some of the congestion and parking costs.

Mike Davies
    Participant

I agree about the park and ride. I was campaigning for this many years ago (over 10 years ago), but had no luck with the council. Many people who live on the Rossett side of town find it easier to drive a few short miles towards Chester and use the park and ride there.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Turnover up 75% as Wrexham AFC say ‘losses shouldnt be repeated’ as payroll nears £7m

News

Lasit Spearheads a Clean Revolution: Laser Technology Redefines Industrial Cleaning

News

Shape Your Future: Unique Student Opportunities at Wrexham University

News

From Campus to Community: The Role of Wrexham’s Colleges in Local Economic Development

News

Beyond Academics: A Closer Look at Extracurricular Opportunities in Wrexham’s Colleges

News

Off-road motorcyclists ‘using their bikes dangerously’ warned they ‘will be seized’

News