Pride In Our Streets

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Pride In Our Streets

• Author

Shaneyball
    Participant

they are terrible in Cefn Mawr for it, they leave rubbish all over the road and don’t put the small green recycling bins anywhere even close to your house. The lid half way up up the street and the bin outside someone else’s house

zinger
    Participant

Why don’t we have road/pavement sweepers & litter pickers around housing estates like we used to? At one time they used to sweep the streets & put weed killer along pavement edges. If they followed after the bin men it would be much more pleasant. Is it cheaper to pay benefits rather than employ people to do these tasks?

thunderbirdskid
    Participant

Just watched the guys do my bins here in Summerhill. The recycling box lid discarded a few meters from the box. Rubbish strewn up the street. Its really unacceptable. We pay for this service. If the guys don’t want the jobs…

thewayneinspain
    Participant
    zinger;3952 wrote:
    Why don’t we have road/pavement sweepers & litter pickers around housing estates like we used to? At one time they used to sweep the streets & put weed killer along pavement edges. If they followed after the bin men it would be much more pleasant. Is it cheaper to pay benefits rather than employ people to do these tasks?

it is actually cheap to do benefits..

I don’t actually with the new IDS initiative and for me it is forced labour, but the council can now employ people who are on benefits without giving them a penny.

thewayneinspain
    Participant
    thunderbirdskid;3953 wrote:
    Just watched the guys do my bins here in Summerhill. The recycling box lid discarded a few meters from the box. Rubbish strewn up the street. Its really unacceptable. We pay for this service. If the guys don’t want the jobs…

Whenever i’ve been at home the binmen round our way (rhosnesni) have always been exemplary.

Nearly everyone has a cameraphone, take a photo, upload the mess and post it on FB & twitter remembering to tag various wrexham council departments, town councillors, community councillors and local media.

why not put in an FOI and ask the council how many people have complained in your ward about how the binmen are behaving compared to a few other wards (including some posh ones?)

Get the councillors to answer for your area’s services, you pay them and they are there to serve you. they’re not councillors just to get free ipads and mobile phone calls.

And if he does nothing make sure you get him voted out.

NJones
    Participant

@zinger 3952 wrote:

Simply- there isn’t the money in the local authority budget to pay them. Where I live we get the road sweeper around 2 or 3 times a year and the quad bike goes around and sprays the weeds (and my hedge) about once a year.

I recently had cause to report an over grown hedge and dangerous item on crispin lane- the hedge was cut within a week and the dangerous item sorted before that. Improved my opinion of our council employees. If only the highways planners were as good!

thewayneinspain
    Participant
    NJones;3964 wrote:
    Simply- there isn’t the money in the local authority budget to pay them. Where I live we get the road sweeper around 2 or 3 times a year and the quad bike goes around and sprays the weeds (and my hedge) about once a year.

Good point!

Throwing this one out there..

what prove have got that there isn’t the money or that the budget is being spent the most eficient way possible?

I haven’t seen any evidence to prove either way.

We keep on being told by the councillors this or that about a lack of cash, but judging by the amount of roadworks during the last few months of the fiscal year that money is not being spent efficiently.

NJones
    Participant

It seems to be an annual approach with Wrexham CBC to rush and spend all their money in Feb/ Mar and complete roadworks before the end of the financial year. It used to be the same when I had to buy equipment for them- the message all year was ‘don’t spend anything’, then as the end of the year came- the message changed to ‘spend it or lose it’.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Opportunity knocks for Wrexham brewery at major trade show

News

Man taken to hospital after incident at Brymbo property

News

Wrexham shoplifter jailed after city centre offences

News

Wrexham to take on Vancouver White Caps in ‘Wrex Coast Tour’

News

National Playday returning to Wrexham for a fun-filled day of activities!

News

Apartment plans for former Johnstown shop

News