Pregnant women targeted.

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Pregnant women targeted.

• Author

IMHO
    Participant

Shakes head in disbelief;

Midwives promote the benefits of bilingualism with expectant parents across north Wales

As if prospective mothers haven’t enough to think about they now have these idiots with a religious type zeal banging on about teaching their newborn to speak an almost entirely useless language. “The benefits of biligualism”, the benefits? What would those be to a baby? What complete BS. I could accept it if it were to be French or German say as they are useful second languages but, Welsh? Give me strength!
    Is this a good way to use much needed tax payer’s money? Be honest now, is it?

The Monitor
    Participant

IMHO .. I am assuming that your name here is intended to represent ‘In my humble opinion’. If that is so, try being a little more ‘humble’ before criticising and insulting the Language of Wales. The land that I presume you live in.

maxman
    Participant

I am sure they parents have more important things on there mind.Next thing you know they will demand all hospital staff speak welsh,then complain when there are no staff in the hospitals.Welsh taliband at work.

Matt
    Participant

taliband

IMHO
    Participant

The Monitor;
    Yes i am English, i live and pay my taxes in Wales so i do have a say in what goes on.
    As far as insulting the Welsh Language goes, it could be said the a large majority of the Welsh people do that daily by not using it or, are unable to speak it so, get off your high horse and answer the question. Do you think it’s a good way to spend much needed money, money that could be put into ESSENTIAL services instead. I have said on here before and i’ll say it again, anyone who thinks that spending millions on propping up the Welsh language should never complain about services elsewhere being cut to the bone.

Liam
    Participant

What’s the cost of bringing this in then IMHO? I note from the article that rather than being an attempt to impose the Welsh language on people, this scheme is to support and encourage parents who do wish to raise their children bilingually. I think you’ll find that the amount spent on promoting the language is relatively modest compared to the majority of frontline services. If you come and live in Wales, don’t be too shocked when some of your hard-earned gets spent on boosting the indigenous language.

TimRegency
    Participant

Baby signing might be better.

DerekJackson
    Participant

Surly the most important point is to have expert health professionals who know how to do the work in hand – the lanagauge must take second place over the safety of the mum to be and her unborn child.

billycoen
    Participant

So let me get this right,according to this logic a Welsh speaking woman would be looked after by someone who could speak German or French.

katy
    Participant

billycoen:
    I think the logic the original poster was using was that a Welsh speaking woman (99.9% chance she also speaks English) would be looked after by someone who could also speak English. That nurse would also be able to speak to any visiting French of German speakers whose grasp of the English language was not as advanced as Welsh people.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Three ‘never events’ reported at health board during February

News

Clwyd South MS welcomes plans for baby loss certificates for bereaved parents

News

More detail on club accounts as owners will ‘continue to offer minority equity positions to strategic partners’

News

Turnover up 75% as Wrexham AFC say ‘losses shouldnt be repeated’ as payroll nears £7m

News

Lasit Spearheads a Clean Revolution: Laser Technology Redefines Industrial Cleaning

News

Shape Your Future: Unique Student Opportunities at Wrexham University

News