Potential Student Flats On Brook Street?

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Potential Student Flats On Brook Street?

• Author

Welsh Dresser
    Participant

Whilst I agree that the alternative uses for an building with asbestos in it are limited I totally agree that our older building should be preserved if possible. If all old buildings are demolished to move with the times all that is left is ugly concrete. Very unattractive and not very alluring for the tourist.

Y Ffin
    Participant

Seems a lost opportunity. Any imaginative architect worthy of the name would have built at least the facade of the former Scotts nightclub into the new complex rather than focusing on cramming as many properties as possible onto the site. The building was one of the first commissions by Thomas Penson, the architect who went on to design the Butcher’s Market on High Street and then the museum building on Regent Street.

The old Scott’s building is part of Wrexham’s working class history, dates back to 1844 and contributes to its character as an historic Welsh market town. Why should it be flattened so a developer and some property company can make a big profit, little of which will ever benefit the local economy.

The planners should ask the developers could come up with a more imaginative and sympathetic scheme rather than tamely rolling over and agreeing to whatever is offered.

bluebell
    Participant

Good evening
    I agree it is a shame and if it was possible to Retain scotts night club we would of liked to unfortunately this is not the case the building is contaminated to put it in to context if it court on fire it’s possible to pollute a 10 mile radius in short the old building is uninhabitable.
    We could name the site after Thomas Penson?
    Benefits for the local economy 107 students, 2 retail units plus, employment
    As for cramming as many properties as possible onto the site! I don’t believe that’s the case there are communal gardens. The site is wheelchair friendly accommodation. We have provided a turning circle and drop off point for cars and more parking then needed we could achieve more rooms we chose not to because we didn’t want to be accused of over developing this site. As for rolling over and agreeing to whatever we offered. This is not the case this has been on going for 3 long years we have taken in to consideration all agencies concerned from highways, planning department and environment agency. I hope this is of some help

Welsh Dresser
    Participant

It would be fitting if the site was named after Thomas Penson. Perhaps some of the facade could be salvaged and erected on the site as a tribute, if only the date of the original building.

thewayneinspain
    Participant
    bluebell;7547 wrote:
    Good evening
    I agree it is a shame and if it was possible to Retain scotts night club we would of liked to unfortunately this is not the case the building is contaminated to put it in to context if it court on fire it’s possible to pollute a 10 mile radius in short the old building is uninhabitable.

Please could you publish the independent reports that say this?

NewRisingSun
    Participant

Surely even if the majority of the building is contaminated the facade could still be retained as demolition would still require decontamination. Seems like knocking it down is simply the cheapest option.

Also are two retail units really a benefit to the town when there are so many empty units already?

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Turnover up 75% as Wrexham AFC say ‘losses shouldnt be repeated’ as payroll nears £7m

News

Lasit Spearheads a Clean Revolution: Laser Technology Redefines Industrial Cleaning

News

Shape Your Future: Unique Student Opportunities at Wrexham University

News

From Campus to Community: The Role of Wrexham’s Colleges in Local Economic Development

News

Beyond Academics: A Closer Look at Extracurricular Opportunities in Wrexham’s Colleges

News

Off-road motorcyclists ‘using their bikes dangerously’ warned they ‘will be seized’

News