Potential Student Flats On Brook Street?

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Potential Student Flats On Brook Street?

• Author

wrexview
    Participant

The undeveloped land opposite the St Giles Church is owned by the Welsh Assembly.

NewRisingSun
    Participant

The architecture looks very uninspiring, for a start its out of scale with the surrounding buildings. The fact that there are car parking spaces out the front not only makes it look a bit rubbish but means that it isn’t a very convenient pedestrian area. If more thought was put into the design, the materials, scale and landscaping I wouldn’t mind, but designs that add little to the street are a wasted opportunity.

BenjaminM
    Participant

Newrisingsun, the building has yet to be built so the illustration shown is an ‘artists impression’ only. How can you make judgement just by viewing a 2 dimensional image?
    Incidentally, the ‘out front’ car parking places are as existing and I am not aware of any pedestrian issues surrounding the area.
    Once again, another nit picker, purely, it would seem, for the sake of it.

As an aside, the town is rightly proud of the endeavours of Glyndwr University to make its’ mark on the academic map and to do this, accommodation is essential for students attending the University. I truly welcome the proposal.

NewRisingSun
    Participant

Questions should be asked before a development goes ahead. So many people say how could they build this eyesore etc or complain about how bad a space is after its built. I’m just saying a redevelopment opportunity should not be wasted like so many in Wrexham which are poorly designed. I have an interest in the built environment, renovation of the old buildings down penybryn and brook street area could make this a nice part of town.

Adam
    Participant

@NewRisingSun 7424 wrote:

Questions should be asked before a development goes ahead. So many people say how could they build this eyesore etc or complain about how bad a space is after its built. I’m just saying a redevelopment opportunity should not be wasted like so many in Wrexham which are poorly designed. I have an interest in the built environment, renovation of the old buildings down penybryn and brook street area could make this a nice part of town.

Exactly this.

If only such questions had been raised 30, 40, 50 years ago during the concrete boom, Wrexham might now be thought of as a ‘pretty’ market town.. Imagine that..

And Benjamin, I’d be interested to hear your alternatives to 2D imagary of design concepts..

thewayneinspain
    Participant
    NewRisingSun;7424 wrote:

Very important point. Questions should be asked before it goes ahead.

Nobody did this with eagles meadow and it’s ugly to say the least.

There are many more pictures on the wrexham council website.

This design is very popular around castlefield in manchester and on the whole they look very nice. The inspirational roots of the design is from one of my favourite buildings in world and thats over 100 years old. I think this could be improved to make it more attractive to the wrexham locals by reducing the height and the closeness to the road of the block that’s closest to the road. Also an explanation how the white paint will look when it’s raining.

NewRisingSun
    Participant

I havent had a chance to read the application or look at the extra photos. Often good designs are let down by cost cutting etc. It would be nice for Wrexham to have some good and exciting modern architecture but it seems that a generic template of size and style gets used whatever the setting; like eagles meadow which apart from the view to st Giles could have been placed in any town.

BenjaminM
    Participant

Aesthetics is a concept that is placed on a wish list with regard to modern architecture, but in reality, functionality and cost are the primary concerns.
    The building is not out of keeping with Snowden House on Vicarage Hill or the property built on Well Place both of which are in the immediate vicinity.
    Whatever the design, it would be a definite improvement on the present virtually derelict eyesore.
    As regards Penybryn and Bridge St., 10 years or so ago, I seem to remember a promise made to enhance the ‘gateways’ to Wrexham, which never materialised.
    Perhaps one should look to Westminster and Cardiff for reasons for it not occurring rather than being a dog in the manger regarding progression.
    And no, I do not have an alternative to a 2D image but as they say, ‘don’t judge a book by its’ cover’.

weasel
    Participant

Yet again another lovely building bites the dust !!! Isn’t that just sooo typical of Wrexham….Can’t look after any of its heritage……

BenjaminM
    Participant

And what would you propose the do to the old building, Weasel?
    Move with the times!

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Multi-million pound investment to transform Old Library into “creative industries powerhouse”

News

The Adventure of Discovery: Why Field Trips Matter for Learning

News

Senedd rejects legal requirement for residential outdoor education in schools

News

New solar farm project planned in Wrexham could power over 22,000 homes

News

Welsh Affairs Committee Rob & Ryan comment ‘taken out of context’ says Deputy Leader of Council

News

New gym plans for Wrexham Industrial Estate could create 70 jobs

News