Post Office move….

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Post Office move….

• Author

weasel
    Participant

So…The Post Office is moving…Good….It’s deffo not safe dealing with any kind of money transactions, now the street is practically derelict….It’s the perfect prowling ground for muggers….

99DylanJones
    Participant

This has been one of the worst kept commercial discussions for nearly two years as it was in the Post Office modernisation plans. BHS as a company overall is trading on a knife edge. No one can blame the Council for all the empty shops in this area – the ultimate culprits are the shoppers themselves for deserting the area in favour of other shop.
    Perhaps the way to revitalise is to make it into a Food Court and children’s play /activity space suitable for all shoppers and families.

MP1953
    Participant

So now what was a beautiful market was knocked down for a whole street of empty shops :( you couldn’t make it up..

BenjaminM
    Participant

[quote quote=112129]So now what was a beautiful market was knocked down for a whole street of empty shops :( you couldn’t make it up..

[/quote]
    You’ve lost me there MP. I am not sure how you can even remotely arrive at the conclusion that because the market was demolished in 1992, it is somehow responsible for commercial decisions taken 24 years later.

It is just like saying that because St. Mark’s church was demolished, that decision is responsible for the recent closure of the NCP car park.

I don’t think things actually work like that.

Councillor X
    Participant

Take a look at what else we have lost over the years:

Wrexham Now and Then

MP1953
    Participant

[quote quote=112130]

So now what was a beautiful market was knocked down for a whole street of empty shops :( you couldn’t make it up..

You’ve lost me there MP. I am not sure how you can even remotely arrive at the conclusion that because the market was demolished in 1992, it is somehow responsible for commercial decisions taken 24 years later.

It is just like saying that because St. Mark’s church was demolished, that decision is responsible for the recent closure of the NCP car park.

I don’t think things actually work like that.

[/quote]

Unfortunately, that is the reality though Benjamin as to what has happened, whichever way you look at it, whosever fault it is or whoever has made all the bad decisions over the years.

MP1953
    Participant

Alunh
    Participant

Like MP1953, I think that the decision to knock down the Market was a bad one. Heritage is big business these days and as the Manchester Metropolitan University have shown via their intelligent Markets Matter, those towns with good Markets (of which we are not one) enjoy much better footflow than those who lack such.

That said, I kind of agree with Benjamin. The area that is Henblas Street is not a wasteland because of that decision. The main culprits on this state of affairs are those who allowed a new development (or two) to follow on from the Henblas Street development, eventually encouraging the shops which were based there to make trading choices to move. When combined with the fact that no radical re-rating of this area (and the town generally) has occurred since 2008, the silly planning gaffe which allowed the T J Hughes site to be configured without a permanent walk-through, and the failure to have a plan in place for the Hippodrome site, this is a lethal cocktail. It seems silly to blame the Post Office for responding to the obvious realities, and whilst I think Ian Lucas has the future of the town at heart, I hope that he will direct his fire to the Labour Administration in Cardiff on the rates matter

Alunh
    Participant

[quote quote=112077] No one can blame the Council for all the empty shops in this area – the ultimate culprits are the shoppers themselves for deserting the area in favour of other shop.
    Perhaps the way to revitalise is to make it into a Food Court and children’s play /activity space suitable for all shoppers and families.

[/quote]

A lot of people can and do blame the Council for the empty shops in this part of Wrexham and for many justifiable and unjustifiable reasons. Heads should have rolled within the planning arena for the gaffe with the T J Hughes walkway. Car Parking charges of £4.00 levied in the Peoples Market for a long time did not help. The abandonment of the over 2 hours stay in Market Street Car Park has not helped. The excessive rents on Council owned Henblas Street shops (of which there are several) has meant these also lying unoccupied. The failure to radically transform the 3 adjacent Markets and bring them into the 21st century (like Bury) has not helped….and so on. You cannot blame shoppers from exercising choice. We all do this.

Lastly….who exactly are you suggesting should make a Food Court and where. Whilst the Council may encourage a Food Court into the Market, Henblas Street is a private sector street (bar the few very small Council shops)

CarolThomas
    Participant

The down turn of Henblas Street rests with two groups — the customers in Wrexham not frequenting the shops and two the retailers not providing what the footfall wanted- if these were aligned the tills would have been ringing and profits made.
    All of the major nationals who would want the bigger units in Henblas Street have masses if data on footfall, socio economic information etc on which to base their shop developments. Using this type of data they are generally able to predict what 80% of the turnover of any shop should be across a 12 month period. They have decamped because the computer statistic show it is cheaper to bail out of the area than to run a loss making business.
    It is only likely to be independent shops that take over any of these outlets as they work on gut and emotional feeling for an area as they cant afford all of the marketing data the large nationals use.
    The next two groupings of shops to close are – phone shops with the industry predicting 30-50% reduction in retail outlets by 2020 and estate agents with 30% reduction due to the increasing use of internet sales and marketing.
    New accommodation is necessary and change of foot outlets to ‘meals’ rather than fast food sandwich outlets.
    People need to stop using the Council as a battering ram for the down turn in retailing in Wrexham – the rates are only one element of the total problem. Rates will not have sufficient impact to get retailers to change sufficient to meet the social changes that are occurring in society.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

What to expect with new first minister set to be appointed and cabinet reshuffle on the horizon

News

Updated: Firefighters called to incident at Bryn Lane recycling centre

News

Wrexham Council first in north Wales to install men’s sanitary bins in public toilets

News

Former Debenhams store in Wrexham could become trampoline park

News

Video: Wrexham market’s historic secrets are being uncovered amid refurb

News

Competition watchdog launches investigation into £2.5 billion merger between Flintshire based Redrow and Barratt

News