Plods latest target area for speeders

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Plods latest target area for speeders

• Author

Chris
    Participant

Dale I have to say its better with the new crossing, but cars still exceed the 30mph limit never mind the advisory 20mph.

The reason gosafe give for not being there at 8am and 3pm is they dont want to contribute to parking issues.

dale
    Participant

Chris, if what you are saying is correct then that’s even worse!!

Are you seriously suggesting that the arrive alive van is simply ignoring drivers speeding past children crossing the road during school time (I still have never seen this problem, apart from the odd idiot, despite living here for the best part of 40 years and attending that school myself in my youth) because they don’t want to take up a parking space?? Ludicrous!

And that by being there at 10 pm when the road is pretty much deserted they are somehow contributing to road safety.

I seem to remember there being the speed monitoring system (2 rubber strips and a box tied to a lamppost) a while back, I’m assuming that a more likely scenario is that they have seen and recorded that people don’t tend to speed at those times.

danofthewibble
    Participant

Whatever is your issue with speed cameras? If you’re sticking to the law, you have nothing to worry about.

I suggest in fact that if you don’t stick to the law, and would prefer to not run the risk of getting caught, perhaps change your ways instead of whinging.

Always remember; a limit is a limit, not a target to beat.

dale
    Participant

@danofthewibble 16649 wrote:

Whatever is your issue with speed cameras? If you’re sticking to the law, you have nothing to worry about.

I suggest in fact that if you don’t stick to the law, and would prefer to not run the risk of getting caught, perhaps change your ways instead of whinging.

Always remember; a limit is a limit, not a target to beat.

My issue is that Arrive Alive (Or whatever they are called nowadays) base their campaigns on improving road safety and targeting accident hotspots and danger areas.

Where is the road safety improvement going to come from with a van parked on a deserted road at 10 o’clock in the evening? They are there for one reason and one reason only, and that is to catch any unwitting drivers who on a downhill stretch of road probably drive a few mph over the limit.

I have no issue with them being there in the daytime, particularly at school opening/closing times.

Thanks for the lecture though, much appreciated.:rolleyes:

justjojo2011
    Participant

So you were going past a school, a 20mph and were a victim of the speed van? In other words, you were speeding in a 20mph zone outside a school. if you did the speed limit, surely there wouldn’t be any need for them to hide away to catch you out?

Speeding motorists are a massive danger to children outside a school. If a speeding motorist knocks my child over outside the school, not sure he’s going to be able to reach his accelerator peddle again

@cromwell 15870 wrote:

Twice last week I almost became a victim of plod and his speed catchers van. It now appears to have taken up residence outside Borras Park school in the 20mph zone. Strange how they park at acute angles waiting for a victim and not noticeable until the last moment but by then the trap is sprung. At these times of passing I noted the school was not in use so no real danger to our little darlings–but excessive speed must be controlled. I suggest it would be much better if they enforced the law on the lazy parents of the children of the school who insist on parking on the double yellows both morning and afternoon to drop off and collect there offspring. This is the real danger area–children coming out from behind a parked vehicle, or worse still the so called Lollipop controller at the school who steps out into the face of on-coming traffic without warning calling the children on with her at the same time and I have witnessed this on many an occasion as they arrive for school. So lets get it right Mr Plod–enforce the yellow line rule along with speed.

BenjaminM
    Participant

“Speeding motorists are a massive danger to kids outside a school……..”
    Agreed. But a far more dangerous proposition is when parents on the ‘school run’ forget that feet have other uses other than operating the accelerator or brake pedal. Time after time, whichever school you choose to look at, parents aim to get as close to the school gates as is humanly possible, double park, park opposite other cars…… Without any consideration whatsoever for other road users.
    I am sure that they have forgotten that feet were put on the end of our legs for walking.
    Perhaps they are fault, in part, for the overweight child epidemic!

zinger
    Participant

It would be better if there was a dedicated drop off point where the older children could be dropped off and left instead of parents hanging around until the bell goes. It is really only the very young who need their parents hanging around for any length of time.

dagg
    Participant

@zinger 16693 wrote:

It would be better if there was a dedicated drop off point where the older children could be dropped off and left instead of parents hanging around until the bell goes. It is really only the very young who need their parents hanging around for any length of time.

I think if children are safely on the school premises they is no need for parents to hang around.

justjojo2011
    Participant

My son goes to Acton school. Box Lane is usually filled with cars lined up on both sides of the road. Not once have I seen cars parking along side cars and very rarely do I see cars parking over residents driveways. On Herbert Jennings, cars will regularly park in the bus stop (my mum got a ticket for parking in it, despite not being able to tell where it ends due to the yellow being gone) and Coronation Drive I think it’s called is another bug bear, where cars will park over everything and anywhere. Most of these parents live within walking distance of the school so have no real need to take the car out and most of them can’t even get to school on time in the first place, but that’s another bug bear.

I live in Hightown, near Ysgol Bodhyfryd and the way parents park to pick their kids up from there is 10 times worse than outside Acton. When you’re on Brynycabanau Road, there is very little pavement near the school, but you can’t walk on it because cars are parked on it, not to mention how badly they park on Monger Road to get their kids.. the bus has a great deal of trouble at 3pm turning round because of them.

@BenjaminM 16689 wrote:

“Speeding motorists are a massive danger to kids outside a school……..”
    Agreed. But a far more dangerous proposition is when parents on the ‘school run’ forget that feet have other uses other than operating the accelerator or brake pedal. Time after time, whichever school you choose to look at, parents aim to get as close to the school gates as is humanly possible, double park, park opposite other cars…… Without any consideration whatsoever for other road users.
    I am sure that they have forgotten that feet were put on the end of our legs for walking.
    Perhaps they are fault, in part, for the overweight child epidemic!

justjojo2011
    Participant

Most parents do in my sons school in the juniors. They see them into the gate and then they leave. Unfortunately we’re not allowed to leave infant children unattended on the yard and must stay with them at all times until the bell goes and they go into class.

@dagg 16709 wrote:

I think if children are safely on the school premises they is no need for parents to hang around.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Opportunity knocks for Wrexham brewery at major trade show

News

Man taken to hospital after incident at Brymbo property

News

Wrexham shoplifter jailed after city centre offences

News

Wrexham to take on Vancouver White Caps in ‘Wrex Coast Tour’

News

National Playday returning to Wrexham for a fun-filled day of activities!

News

Apartment plans for former Johnstown shop

News