Plods latest target area for speeders

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Plods latest target area for speeders

• Author

cromwell
    Participant

Twice last week I almost became a victim of plod and his speed catchers van. It now appears to have taken up residence outside Borras Park school in the 20mph zone. Strange how they park at acute angles waiting for a victim and not noticeable until the last moment but by then the trap is sprung. At these times of passing I noted the school was not in use so no real danger to our little darlings–but excessive speed must be controlled. I suggest it would be much better if they enforced the law on the lazy parents of the children of the school who insist on parking on the double yellows both morning and afternoon to drop off and collect there offspring. This is the real danger area–children coming out from behind a parked vehicle, or worse still the so called Lollipop controller at the school who steps out into the face of on-coming traffic without warning calling the children on with her at the same time and I have witnessed this on many an occasion as they arrive for school. So lets get it right Mr Plod–enforce the yellow line rule along with speed.

danofthewibble
    Participant

Tip for drivers: If you don’t want to be caught speeding, stop being cretinous morons and stop speeding. Honestly. It’s really that simple.

steveh8204
    Participant

@danofthewibble 15871 wrote:

Tip for drivers: If you don’t want to be caught speeding, stop being cretinous morons and stop speeding. Honestly. It’s really that simple.

No it isn’t! The policeman overtaking me at 65 in a 50 last week makes me think otherwise. He probably decided it was safe enough to go at that speed. I, like most drivers, aren’t allowed to make that choice.

I have 20 years no claims and am capable of driving around sensibly without killing anyone so don’t appreciate being labelled a cretinous moron thank you.

Huw
    Participant

Yes and it’s ok for a young lady police officer to tailgate my vehicle down the hill from Garden Village shops last week when I’m doing bang on 30mph with my 2 year old Son in the car!

zinger
    Participant

The best that I can remember was when an Arrive Alive van passed us far exceeding the speed limit. We decided then that it was one rule for them & a different one for the rest of us.

cmaj76
    Participant

I have no issue with speed cameras outside schools or accident blackspots, that is exactly what they should be used for. However on open stretches of road such as the Rossett flyover this is purely for money making.

In terms of speed, its all about driving to the conditions, if I’m on a rural stretch of road where visibility and conditions are good and traffic is minimal, I see no issue in travelling at say 70 mph. I am capable of it, my car is capable of it and the road is capable of it.

Conversely however if there is snow and ice on the road, 30mph is too fast in a built up area and 70 mph is certainly too fast on a dual carriageway despite it being the speed limit (although some 4×4 / BMW /Audi drivers think they are invincible).

Intelligent drivers adjust their speeds and driving manner according to the conditions.

Maureen Gray
    Participant

While I agree with most of the comment above, the only sure way not to get ‘caught speeding’, is not to ‘speed’. Rightly or wrongly they are the ones with a book of tickets and it effects your licence, insurance, lively-hood etc etc….don’t get done, get smart!!

johnhoppy
    Participant

There are many opinions both good and bad about speeding, but a Speed Camera Van sited outside a school in a 20 mph zone when the school is closed is purely a money making exercise. Its time that these type of limits were designated Term Time only.

richiewxm
    Participant

In reply to Cromwell saying the police should be enforcing the double yellow lines instead. Wrexham council decriminalised this a number of years ago meaning the police have no power to enforce either single or double yellow lines. The only people able to enforce these now are council employed traffic wardens

Andy
    Participant

Police can issue a Fixed Penalty Notice 151 for Wilful Obstruction of the highway.

“If a person, without lawful authority or excuse, in any way wilfully obstructs the free passage along a highway he is guilty of an offence and liable to a fine not exceeding [F361level 3 on the standard scale].”

Highways Act 1980 section 137.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Three ‘never events’ reported at health board during February

News

Clwyd South MS welcomes plans for baby loss certificates for bereaved parents

News

More detail on club accounts as owners will ‘continue to offer minority equity positions to strategic partners’

News

Turnover up 75% as Wrexham AFC say ‘losses shouldnt be repeated’ as payroll nears £7m

News

Lasit Spearheads a Clean Revolution: Laser Technology Redefines Industrial Cleaning

News

Shape Your Future: Unique Student Opportunities at Wrexham University

News