Play Day

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Play Day

• Author

Council Watcher
    Participant

What a wonderful success Play Day was yesterday in the centre of town- there were clearly many thousands of children doing what they like best – playing. Sand, water, cardboard, old bits and pieces you name it they seemed to have it. This annual event has certainly taken off and Mike Barclay the Council Play Coordinator and his team should be congratulated in what they have achieved over the past few years.

Today is Mike’s last day with the Council and he has certainly left a legacy behind and hope that the Council will still maintain this as part of their annual town centre calendar and maybe even replicate on other days in places like Ty Mawr and Alyn Waters.

Councillor X
    Participant

I wonder how much that fiasco cost?

The council should be saving money for use on critical services not wasting it on entertaining the children of people who cannot be bothered looking after them during the holidays.

They should put them all in Ty Pawb because nobody else uses it!

zinger
    Participant

I took my grandchildren to of one the first playdays on Llwyn Isaf & Queens Square & thought what a fantastic event it was. The equipment consisted of lengths of wood, huge cardboard boxes, sheets of vinyl, bales of hay & water.

How can anyone complain about children having a wonderful time & making happy memories of the town. Far better than seeing them walking around looking at gadgets.

As for looking after children during the holidays, who do you think took the children to town & spent hours watching them have good, clean, old fashioned fun? No different to taking them to the seaside.

For little cost, the shops & cafes in town had an added benefit of extra customers too.

The ‘feel good’ factor can’t be costed. Wrexham has more than its fair share of old miseries.

Marvinuk
    Participant

Marvinuk
    Participant

[quote quote=153858]I wonder how much that fiasco cost?

The council should be saving money for use on critical services not wasting it on entertaining the children of people who cannot be bothered looking after them during the holidays.

They should put them all in Ty Pawb because nobody else uses it![/quote]

Maybe the parking fees from councillors could pay for this?

Councillor X
    Participant

And still nobody has answered my question!

Why should the Council Tax payers subsidise this event? Why were children not charged a nominal amount to help finance the event?

Where was the option of funding these events in the ‘Difficult Decisions 2018-20’ Consultation document?

Absolute disgrace. Parents should look after their children and not expect the Council to entertain them.

I listen to parents that complain about having to pay for child care during holidays and the answer is if you cannot afford them then DO NO Have them!

Don’t get me started about being lumbered with grandchildren Zinger. Don’t kid yourself because our offspring are just using us as free child care so they can afford their expensive holidays and new cars.

pastrylover
    Participant

Councillor X – Did your wife leave you for a younger man who happens to work for the council and that is where you grumpy personality and hatred of anything positive come from?

bubble
    Participant

Can’t get the quote button to work today, but Marvinuk you took the words right out of my mouth.

I don’t have kids and on a personal note was very pleased not to be going into town yesterday where I would have actually had to experience all the extra kids with the high pitched noises they tend to make – but how can anyone begrudge them one day a year of fun, provided by the council?

And then along came the answer – someone who thinks it’s important that councillors and “top management” at the council deserve generous year-round free perks, specifically as regards parking.

Marvinuk
    Participant

[quote quote=153877]Why should the Council Tax payers subsidise this event? Why were children not charged a nominal amount to help finance the event?[/quote]

I am in full agreement with bubble and zinger here, one day of fun provided by the council which by the description
    “I took my grandchildren to of one the first playdays on Llwyn Isaf & Queens Square & thought what a fantastic event it was. The equipment consisted of lengths of wood, huge cardboard boxes, sheets of vinyl, bales of hay & water. ” does not sound like it has cost a huge amount of money, and provided a lot of fun, so to Mr Barclay, well done, to Councillor X, well words fail me.

Councillor X
    Participant

Bubble, why does it always come down to your hatred of “Top Management”? These officials do an excellent job and deserve something but now it looks like they will have to pay £100 a year just to come to work. You must be over the blood red moon about it.

How on earth Council staff worked listening to screaming kids left there by uncaring parents is beyond me and how people here can defend the expense is also beyond me.

Also “one day of fun” is one too many.

Can anyone tell me how much it cost US? “The equipment consisted of lengths of wood, huge cardboard boxes, sheets of vinyl, bales of hay & water” BUT what about staff costs arranging this, running it and clearing up after it? There was also extra policing to keep the homeless/ druggie/ zombie element away.

And words fail me too Marvinuk. How self centred can you people be? I will probably find out by the bored board watchers waiting to spout yet more puerile rubbish in defence of a publicity seeking flag waving event designed to attract lazy folk who cannot be bothered looking after their offspring.

Also, pastrylover, do you ever say anything worthwhile here?

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

From Campus to Community: The Role of Wrexham’s Colleges in Local Economic Development

News

Beyond Academics: A Closer Look at Extracurricular Opportunities in Wrexham’s Colleges

News

Off-road motorcyclists ‘using their bikes dangerously’ warned they ‘will be seized’

News

Saturday’s Wrexham Artisan Market to be ‘showcase’ of local and national products

News

MMA Event coming to north east Wales this weekend!

News

Rare newts thriving after north east Wales pond restoration

News