Plas Madoc Leisure Centre

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Plas Madoc Leisure Centre

• Author

DR
    Participant

“A review of leisure facilities in Wrexham county is being undertaken by the economic development department. This report should be finished, hopefully in the net two weeks. NO decisions have been taken as yet in regards to closures. Once the report is finished it will be been through the Environmental Scrutiny Committee too scrutinise and evaluate the report and make recommendations before going to the Executive board meeting for further debate and ratification by the Labour council”

Had this sent over to us. Will be an interesting Scrutiny Committee, could be a meeting similar to the Library / Community Centre situation.

Liam
    Participant

Library meeting was particularly feisty, will be interesting to see what happens to other leisure centres such as those in schools, Gwyn Evans in Gwersyllt, Queensway etc.

Arfon Jones
    Participant

Love it guys!

wxm
    Participant

Wrexham has one budget, albeit revenue may come from different sources and restrictions are placed on what the money is spent …subject to that, surely the County should be considering all spend at once, and making choices across the whole community. Taking one item or facility at a time simply results in a disfranchised community, long term tensions, and a poorer well-being within the community.

Darlofan
    Participant

I wouldn’t be surprised if they closed it. There can’t be many towns the size of Wrexham that have two leisure centers.

sj197
    Participant

Ha HA Boys stop ! really ? came on hear to post comment about Plasmadoc leisure centre rumours sorry if I interrupted …. ffs

sj197
    Participant

Thinking back to the crowds gathering around wrexham as Olympic torch came to town. My family one of thousands in wrexham that went and explained the importance of the Olympics and the taking part etc to the our children. My son and his friends regularly hire the hall at Plas Madoc for football, all 15, 16 and 17 year olds from Plas Madoc Cefn and Ruabon area. Clearly no Olympic legacy in wrexham!! (Little w not a mistake).

sj197
    Participant

@Darlofan 10548 wrote:

I wouldn’t be surprised if they closed it. There can’t be many towns the size of Wrexham that have two leisure centers.

Its not about the size of town, Wrexham has a centre arguably but is made up of dozens of communities spread over a large area. I cant wait to hear the other untruth rolled out on these occasions that it is under used anyway. Firstly that’s not true as it I always busy and secondly IF that were the case surely it says more about the failing of people paid a lot of money by us who are not promoting and driving the service forward (ever heard of Olympic legacy).

Saving 500k I can think of half a dozen senior management posts at Wrexham that would go along way to that figure add in wasted money on insane housing strategy’s like refurbishing empty social housing but if you long term rent paying resident you wait till every other empty misused house been repaired/modernised as its not based on normal sound assessment of risk when and where to spend money.

Seriously kids using the MUGA on the field have to ask at the leisure centre to have the lights on !!

sj197
    Participant

@wxm 10542 wrote:

Wrexham has one budget, albeit revenue may come from different sources and restrictions are placed on what the money is spent …subject to that, surely the County should be considering all spend at once, and making choices across the whole community. Taking one item or facility at a time simply results in a disfranchised community, long term tensions, and a poorer well-being within the community.

This would take intelligence and joined up thinking that’s not present in Wrexham, blame and cover your arse culture amongst management at higher level on the increase. so much easier looking down the service expenditure list until you get to the required figure, job done hand it to elected members they take the blame.

Ferret
    Participant

Not really a surprise as it’s been on the cards for years. Ambitious plans for Plas Madoc Leisure Centre, Wrexham – Chester Chronicle

I might be wrong but I think Plas Madoc was built by the old Wrexham RDC which is why the area has two large leisure centres, because what is now Waterworld was built by the old borough council to replace the Tuttle Street baths. It was also the RDC who signed the original twinning agreement with Kreis Iserlohn in March 1970 (see separate thread). So not really a post war peace initiative unless you’re from the Basil Fawlty school of Anglo-German relations.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Trading Standards warning over Facebook user “fraudulently advertising events locally”

News

The Ultimate Guide to Nickelodeon Resort Punta Cana

News

The Essential Guide to User Acceptance Testing (UAT)

News

Ken Skates outlines plans to improve Transport for Wales services in Wrexham and beyond

News

“Lots of Wrexham routes make perfect sense for review” – Ken Skates on 20 MPH

News

Eisteddfod proclamation on Saturday will be ‘full of colour’

News