Plans for 350 new homes in LLay !!!!!

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Plans for 350 new homes in LLay !!!!!

• Author

Sheefag
    Participant

I’m sorry Saxon, bit that’s just a bit of waffle.

All of those homes built along Gresford Road are sat on what used to be green, agricultural land.
    Ie; no different from the current proposal, I am minded of King Canute at this tim.

zinger
    Participant

Now if everyone were to live near to where they worked instead of commuting — Quote //Llangollen Advertiser, Denbighshire, Merionethshir… — 30 November 1917 “A letter was read from the Llay Main Collieries, Limited, from which it appeared- that there are practically no houses in the neighbourhood of the new Llay Colliery, and provision will have to be made for roughly speaking, 3,000 workmen. It was resolved that a sub-committee visit suitable sites in the neighbourhood of the colliery, and to make a general survey of the possible needs of the district”.

Captain C
    Participant

Just to clear up a few points:

The Woodlands Estates on Gresford Road was built on overspill land owned by the Llay Colliery Company.

The Land which is now Singret Hights was built was a Pig Farm owned by the Crewe Family (yes the same Crewe Family) and was sold to build on.

The Meadow Rise Estate was a field owned by the Crewe family (yes same ones).

The Barns at Home Farm were converted and sold by The Crewe Family once again for vast profit.

They have a reputation of buying agricultural land or buildings and converting into residential land without any thought for the locals or the heritage of Llay.

They have also bought a field on the Llay New Road and wont to have permission to build houses on there as well. There is enough Brown land in the area to use for buildings without destroying and removing the green barrier.

EJ01
    Participant

Sheefag- The main difference with this proposal is that it is not within the designated boundary settlement.If we go back far enough ALL of Llay housing would have been built on greenfields.However as previously stated all developments should adhere to planning policy and this is why, when developments have been proposed WITHIN settlement boundaries I have not objected to them. Indeed infilling within settlement and brownfield sites should take priority before encroaching onto greenfields or every farmer will be selling off his fields to developers! As a local, I have numerous concerns about this proposal not just for myself but all of Llay. Locals are unable to get doctors appointments already and our recently amalgamated school is at near capacity. What will happen when children from one side of the village cannot go to their local primary and secondary school? At the consultation meeting it was stated that money “could” be given to the Education Department but previously promised schools from large developments have not materialised. Indeed I doubt that our financially constrained Council will have the money to extend/build and maintain existing/new schools. This development affects the whole of my community and these are just a few of my objections.Nobody doubts that new houses may need to be built in the future but appropriate suitable sites needto be chosen. Consideration needs to be given to scale and design -dense housing- apartments on the edge of a rural village is hardly suitable! Please be aware that we only have 21 days to share your views with Wrexham planning department and that includes all the bank holidays. There is some confusion as to the cut off point, but if this is from the 12th December, it takes you up to the 2nd January .

Captain C
    Participant

Nice post with feeling and common sense EJ01.

The point of the confusion over cut off dates are because they lifted the application of the site and reposted with a different date. We believe that the cut off date is as the planning posters (9th Jan 2015) but will try to get it extended. The council planning dept’ seems to give us a different date every time we contact them and the Community Council have been given even more dates to add to the confusion.

Sheefag
    Participant

@Captain C 17216 wrote:

Just to clear up a few points:

The Woodlands Estates on Gresford Road was built on overspill land owned by the Llay Colliery Company.

The Land which is now Singret Hights was built was a Pig Farm owned by the Crewe Family (yes the same Crewe Family) and was sold to build on.

The Meadow Rise Estate was a field owned by the Crewe family (yes same ones).

The Barns at Home Farm were converted and sold by The Crewe Family once again for vast profit.

They have a reputation of buying agricultural land or buildings and converting into residential land without any thought for the locals or the heritage of Llay.

They have also bought a field on the Llay New Road and wont to have permission to build houses on there as well. There is enough Brown land in the area to use for buildings without destroying and removing the green barrier.

Captain C, the Crewe family have farmed the Llay area for generations and have worked very hard to make their endeavours successful.
    If you had grown up in the local community, you would, of course, have already known that fact.

I’ve often felt that to be truly despised in North Wales, all one has to achieve is a modicum of honest success.
    Nice to see some in the community are keeping the old, local traditions alive.

Captain C
    Participant

@Sheefag 17222 wrote:

Nice to see some in the community are keeping the old, local traditions alive.

I and my family have had connections with Llay all my life. I even attended Llay school and have now lived in the area for over 40 years. I am very proud of where I live and have always sung the praises of Llay from the roof tops.

How the hell can you make the above statement when they are trying to sell us all down the line, that is not keeping the old local traditions alive. I can only assume that you are one of them?

Sheefag
    Participant

New homes and new families can only benefit the Village, Llay needs to grow or die but nothing stays the same and prospers.
    An increase in population will inevitably see the Village receive a bigger share of the resources from central and local government.

The old tradition that I refer to is the bizarre hate and derision for anyone who is successful in any way, it’s endemic to North Walian towns and villages in a way that I’ve never seen in the South of the Principality.

The Crewe family aren’t selling anyone out, they owe you nothing, nothing at all my dear Captain.
    Maybe it’s 40 years of being in the same place that’s the problem, they do say that travel broadens the mind.

Captain C
    Participant

When can you leave then? One assumes that will be after the money is in the pocket or are you a South Wales person?

Sheefag
    Participant

So, you hate the Crewes, you hate South Walians and you hate progress.
    Nice to see the old, local traditions being kept alive.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Turnover up 75% as Wrexham AFC say ‘losses shouldnt be repeated’ as payroll nears £7m

News

Lasit Spearheads a Clean Revolution: Laser Technology Redefines Industrial Cleaning

News

Shape Your Future: Unique Student Opportunities at Wrexham University

News

From Campus to Community: The Role of Wrexham’s Colleges in Local Economic Development

News

Beyond Academics: A Closer Look at Extracurricular Opportunities in Wrexham’s Colleges

News

Off-road motorcyclists ‘using their bikes dangerously’ warned they ‘will be seized’

News