Plans for 350 new homes in LLay !!!!!

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Plans for 350 new homes in LLay !!!!!

• Author

Metalhead
    Participant

Here’s what has happened elsewhere in the country:

SALFORD COUNCIL TO INTRODUCE KIDDIE BEDROOM TAX ON NEW HOUSES – Salford Star – with attitude & love xxx

Perhaps other services such as local doctors etc. could demand the same from any developer? Where my parents live (not in Wrexham) they recently built an estate (nothing like the size of this thing) in a village which had an already oversubscribed primary school and the effects have not been positive. Planning did not take this factor into account when passing the application (perhaps nobody objected on these grounds?). Now there is an issue there where people who have bought these new houses are expecting their children to able to attend this school as do the existing residents and there simply isn’t enough places.

CVA01
    Participant

The number of houses for sale has nothing to do with whether there is a shortage of houses or not. It is Welsh planning policy. If you read Welsh national policy you will see that, just as in England, Councils have to maintain a 5 year supply of land for housing. There are annual reviews that assess the actual supply. These reviews are on the Council’s website. If you read the most recent one, once you get your head around the figures you will see that Wrexham has quite a bit less than a 5 year supply – it is around 3 years. What that means, in short, is that not enough sites are being granted planning permission for housing. This isnt the Council’s fault because they can only deal with applications as they come in.

As for brownfield sites, where would you suggest people build in Wrexham? In the middle of Llay industrial estate, there is vacant land there. But who’d want to live there. The only real option for Wrexham now is to allow building on greenfield sites. This is unfortunate but true. If the Llay site is unsuccesful, it wont end there. Some other fields will be built on.

wrexview
    Participant

The point of having an agreed “Five Year Plan” is that everyone knows which land has been set aside for housing, green belt and settlement boundaries. Without the Plan developers are picking green spaces in the hope they will succeed in obtaining planning permission. This adds a random element to housing delopmemt in Wrexham which is not acceptable. If the LDP states land is for Green Belt then development would not be allowed on it, lack of a current plan should not result in open season on any green space in Wrexham which is what the Welsh Assembly seems to be encouraging .

Saxon1
    Participant

Surely then a common sense approach is required by local planning. They simply cannot justify tearing up swathes of green space in order to appease Welsh Planning policy, when there is no appetite for this type of development or any need in the first place. Its complete madness and causing upset and disquiet in our communities. A new mindset needs to be taken locally and involve local people at all levels and not just a chosen few.

CVA01
    Participant

But the Council has no LDP, it’s current plan is out of date and the Lly site and many other parts of the borough are NOT green barrier (to use the WCBC term). If Wrexham had an LDP then there would be more certainty where houses would be built or not. But it doesnt. If it had a 5 year supply then greenfield sites would stand little chance of getting permission, but it doesn’t. Even if the Council refuse planning permission if people propose to build on greenfield sites then some of the development will happen anyway because some appeals will be successful. Although Councils and planning inspectors have to take account of local opinion, they are given very clear instructions by Welsh government that permission shouldnt be refused just because there are objections. I am afraid that is a fact.

Saxon1
    Participant

I know we are in for a fight, but we cannot just simply sit back and let it happen.
    I am trying to learn very quickly what Planning Policy etc is all about. I have never been in local government so I am afraid its all alien to me, but with help from lots of people in our support group I think I am going to learn very quickly.

From the turn out last night, we have major support locally and we are going to try and make it count. We will not give up the fight and our right to freedom of speech as residents of the Wrexham borough.

wrexview
    Participant

The point is well made that even if Wrexham Council refuse permission on a site , as in the Rhosrobin one at the last planning meeting , as things stand there is a good chance they will get it on appeal.

Fred
    Participant

From the issues raised last night I wouldn’t want to live there. The land floods, it is severely sinking, it would provide a rat run for anyone wanting to avoid the queues at the Crown traffic lights, properties won’t get insurance /mortgages because of the coal searches, and even anthrax was mentioned. I find it quite brazen of the farmer if he still submits any plans for the planning application after what has been made clear to the developer. Oh and migrating geese settle there every year too!
    The plans of Llay through the years was also extremely false and misleading, missed every residential property from the Gresford Road that has been in Llay since before the mine, even his own farm was falsely excluded.
    The school point is still important in my opinion as this is immoral.
    Finally, if the petition was signed by every single Llay adult resident, can this still be seen as unimportant?

Saxon1
    Participant

Wrexham Leader have printed an article on line re last nights meeting.

Saxon1
    Participant

Regarding the Evening Leader article. The developers were informed last night during the meeting by a representative from the school that the school is full, that also Gresford school is also full and one local person told us her child has to go to Marford School.
    The representative from the school was extremely concerned to say the least.

The petition will be available for signing at a specified location to be confirmed, if you did not get around to signing last night. Keep checking the blog.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Plans Submitted to Create Studio Flat Above Wrexham Fast Food Restaurant

News

Football Banning Order issued to Wrexham man for ‘pyro offences’

News

Ambulance Service ‘expecting the Bank Holiday period to be a busy one for us’

News

Reminder to check for Schools Essentials Grant before window closes at end of May

News

Wrexham AFC Women Awarded first UEFA License and FAW Tier 1 License renews for 2024/25 Season

News

“Disrespectful” easter egg hunt in cemetery cancelled after backlash

News