Planning Committee & Decision Making

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Planning Committee & Decision Making

• Author

Welsh Dresser
    Participant

@thewayneinspain 4382 wrote:

for me, I don’t think any councillor should be given more than 2 terms on each political position possibly a third if they make to the council’s “cabinet” … ie. two terms as a community councillor, two terms as a councillor, one extra if voted on to the exec board [obviously if you are voted as a town councillor you have to sit on the community council for two extra terms too!] When people are on the same seat for years and years, it breeds cronyism and councillors who are out of touch with reality…

any councillor will gain experience by first being a community councillor.

I can see how that would work and if the elected councillor proved to be inept they wouldn’t be left in office to just carry on. Great idea

zinger
    Participant

I attended my first planning meeting last week & was impressed that an application that had been recommended for acceptance was refused. People on the committee who had personal involvement in the application left the room before it came onto the agenda & came back after it was done & dusted. First, someone was allowed to speak against the application (3 minutes) Second, the committee asked pertinent questions through the chair & then discussed the application before voting in a truly adult manner. It takes a lot to impress me these days but I hold my hands up to say that I was. If the decision had gone the other way I don’t know how I would have felt then. I genuinely thought that it was a done deal before the meeting.

Sam
    Participant

If you want to read about an actual scenario and background about how planning works. It’s our personal fight against overdevelopment in our village as we speak. It covers most things regarding some of the quirks in system. It’s an Interesting blog with a lot of detail.

Tanyfron community planning resources

If you want to know about long term planning in Wales as a whole, you must read this. The future of Welsh heritage, language and people are at threat.

deffrorddraig.com

zinger
    Participant

I have read all the comments in the Leader & I have supported Tanyfron the whole way, signed the petition, written comments, if fact everything that anyone would do, who actually doesn’t live or have any connection to the area. I feel for you, I really do. I would be devastated in your place. Obviously there is a lot of background stuff that I don’t know about.
    We had a small victory at the planning meeting & some of it was thanks to questions raised by the committee that I wouldn’t have even thought of. I had to speak as I found. I went there thinking that it was done & dusted genuinely. The only thing I would have questioned at the meeting was the lack of a right to reply. As I say it was the first meeting that I have ever been to. I did say that I didn’t know how I would feel if it had gone the other way. I do realise that we have only had a stay of execution.
    The lack of infrastructure is appalling. Schools & roads most importantly. Developers are a breed on their own. They are only interested in getting their plans passed & the money that they make. No matter whose lives that they ruin along the way. They make promises that they don’t keep. At the end of the day you can sleep at night knowing that you have done everything that you can.

thewayneinspain
    Participant

From my experience…

property developers will just keep on trying and the only way to combat it is sadly direct action.

With the football club we got it right with guterman, hamilton, swampy, buttivant, stephanie booth and others, but were too tame with dickens, roberts and moss which resulted to the football club’s cost with moss and roberts asset stripping for their 40 million pension plan.

From what i learnt, you dont half to break the law to make a property developer to think “maybe we should cut our losses”… but direction is needed.

With Maesgwyn, from the answers they gave, it’s obvious now that Jamie and John Sheffield are just a front for Dickens getting as much profit as he can. With BDL good luck, because they’re going to keep on trying and trying and they’re a very clever bunch..

Sam
    Participant

Regarding the BDL. It’s a bit of a David and Goliath but we must try and stop this over development, not just here, but generally. I certainly don’t want to live in a concrete suburb of an overly expanded town ! and certainly not my kids, grand kids etc, etc.

wxm
    Participant

If the system is working like this, why don’t councillors run forums or blogs every week online (unmoderated) to talk through these issues?

If the chair of the planning committee can do it, why can’t every ward member do it personally, and the chair of every other committee. If we new they were online every Thursday or Friday or Sunday, that is a way we could all contribute.

thewayneinspain
    Participant
    wxm;4399 wrote:
    If the system is working like this, why don’t councillors run forums or blogs every week online (unmoderated) to talk through these issues?

If the chair of the planning committee can do it, why can’t every ward member do it personally, and the chair of every other committee. If we new they were online every Thursday or Friday or Sunday, that is a way we could all contribute.

why not ask them?

have you got a link to michael morris’s website?

wxm
    Participant

I understand councillors have got the message, we’ll see if they accept the public recognition of wrexham.com and take advantage of these forums. Does the Google score for wrexham.com puts it on a readership number above the papers . . .

Back to planning, why do we have 20 on a committee … when many other areas have 6 or 10? If a SINGLE planning inspector can decide on a case at appeal, we should be improving what we’ve got? Reading these blogs and forums, something has to change …

thewayneinspain
    Participant
    wxm;4595 wrote:
    I understand councillors have got the message, we’ll see if they accept the public recognition of wrexham.com and take advantage of these forums. Does the Google score for wrexham.com puts it on a readership number above the papers . . .

Back to planning, why do we have 20 on a committee … when many other areas have 6 or 10? If a SINGLE planning inspector can decide on a case at appeal, we should be improving what we’ve got? Reading these blogs and forums, something has to change …

And that is where the system is wholly wrong. Planning inspectors should not have a say, the decision should be made by somebody who is elected.

There should be more on the committee than 20. The local residents, if not the whole electorate of the local authority should have the final say.

The biggest controversies at wrexham have been caused by the planning inspectors and planning officers advice. Who have not been elected.

Its something I feel very very strongly about, electorate empowerment is 1,000 times more important and worthy than party politics.

gentle reminder: michael morris’ website?

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Saturday’s Wrexham Artisan Market to be ‘showcase’ of local and national products

News

Rare newts thriving after north east Wales pond restoration

News

Plans Submitted to Create Studio Flat Above Wrexham Fast Food Restaurant

News

Football Banning Order issued to Wrexham man for ‘pyro offences’

News

Ambulance Service ‘expecting the Bank Holiday period to be a busy one for us’

News

Reminder to check for Schools Essentials Grant before window closes at end of May

News