People’s Market, Chester Street and Henblas Street

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum People’s Market, Chester Street and Henblas Street

• Author

Alunh
    Participant

[QUOTE=MP1953

I would imagine there are a whole host of prospective dynamic leaders lurking within the Wrexham Council offices just waiting for the call ;) or they could do as they usually do and take on a consultant..:eek:

Just another point, thousands upon thousands of Wrexham people regularly shop in Chester, not because they are affluent but because it is better laid out (as Wrexham once was) and is just an all round better experience..

A lot of people on here defend Wrexham Council for the demise of the town saying that it is not their fault, but the majority of born and bred Wrexham ites will have a different view… :(

You may well be absolutely right. Regardless, that is now the past. Mistakes have been made and mistakes will continue to be made. What does appear very different nowadays is that bit by bit, inch by inch, the affairs of the Council are getting into the public domain. Whether it be via the new forms of Social media like this forum or because Wrexham is no longer controlled completely by one political party, we appear to be getting the info and we can name and shame (where required) and try to get things moving.

You are quite right about many past decisions but I am one of those who thinks that things can be better in the future if we push and push. Even the presence in the town of an active Conservative candidate has put some competitive spring into our MP’s step and it is up to all and sundry to keep applying the pressure. One excellent lobby appears to be Nigel Lewis at Wrexham Savers who is closely involved in the Small Business day in December, another potentially is the Town Centre Forum.

99DylanJones
    Participant

I certainly don’t see anyone in Wrexham Council to take the mantle — anyone who has a salary is not the right person as they don’t always have the drive and determination of someone who has a personal vested interest in the future. Consultants are exactly the same — here today present a report and go — unless they are on a performance package.
    Not sure about the Town Centre Forum – if you look at the meeting agenda for the next meeting and the one from about 3 years ago they are still the same — sorry but this has not been the most dynamic body.

Alunh
    Participant

Just thought that I’d revisit this topic given the news of the move of the Entertainer. The jury still seems out on the likely fate of the Peoples Market and Henblas Street is now beyond critical in terms of health. Meanwhile, whilst some rates concessions have been announced, the core Rates rejig is still not close to hand.

My own lease in Bank Street actually ends in April 2016 and I have to decide whether to continue providing a local service in the town, having had a shop in Wrexham for each of the last 40 years. From a personal perspective, my own future is of little consequence. That said, I will find it extremely sad if Wrexham becomes the largest town in North Wales but almost devoid of a viable Independent sector

99DylanJones
    Participant

According to some staff the relocation of the Post Office is due before Christmas to WH Smiths when they reopen their first floor

dagg
    Participant

[quote quote=96117]According to some staff the relocation of the Post Office is due before Christmas to WH Smiths when they reopen their first floor

[/quote]
    If they put the Post Office upstairs it wouldn’t be very good for some customers eg disabled and OAP’s

danofthewibble
    Participant

I wonder if the owners of those units have an overall goal; seems strange that all of the retailers are moving out over a relatively short space of time. Could be they have interest from someone who wants several of those units.

And I doubt they’d put the Post Office upstairs; plenty of room at the back of the shop. The post office here in Shrewsbury is technically at basement level, but accessible via the main entrance of the indoor shopping centre and then lifts/escalators.

Peterthewatcher
    Participant

the properties were all built at the same time with the leases being issued over a 12 month period until there was full occupancy — probably as simple as leases coming to an end and better property deals in other parts of town.

Alunh
    Participant

The Henblas Street units that were once fully let and which included MVC are now evaporating for a range of simple and logical reasons. Firstly, the opening of Eagles Meadow caused a pull from the town of both Retailers and Punters. Both will have their impact. Secondly, and vitally, the Rates that were charged for units in this area were based upon the pre-Eagles Meadow scenario and are top dollar. These are not due for review until 2017. Thirdly, the major Landlord in this area, Wrexham Council, has not brought its own Rents into line with the rental forces in the open market place and they have been leaking tenants. Fourthly, there are macro trends in Retail which suggest a displacement of perhaps a quarter of existing Shop stock across the UK.

The way to avoid any town or area within a town from going down the pan is by a rapid and creative response from all of those who can respond. This means Landlords, the Welsh Assembly, Wrexham CBC and the Retailers themselves. Beyond that, those who conduct their business in the town need the likes of Nigel Lewis to organise positive stuff to try and reinvigorate the streets. Some Landlords have grasped the nettle and have lowered their Rents…..including mine. The Welsh Assembly have introduced certain Rate concessions. Some Retailers are busting a gut to combat the negatives. Wrexham Council have it within their remit to look at Car Parking charges and the Rent/Service package that they offer. At this juncture not enough is happening and the Markets are tottering as well. I would suggest the abandonment of the Arts Hub Peoples Market scheme and a rapid look at this vital issue

Peterthewatcher
    Participant

Ae the Market Traders from the three markets meeting the Council this week or next. Have the Council put forward their intentions to move from three markets to two yet. If the meeting has not yet taken place ask the following.
    1. Which of the three markets has been identified for closure in the report that PCW have prepared for the Council July Executive meeting?
    2. How much have they identified as operational cost savings?
    Market Traders wake up your future is being determined under your nose without your input

jimbow
    Participant

It was proposed after a consultants report on the Markets three years ago to retain only two of the three markets. This was later not carried out after consultation with traders. The problem with two of the Markets is that they are listed buildings. The Council use this as an excuse to not carry out any internal refurbishment to these premises. When you look at the same scenario in Chester, shops on the rows that are listed, nevertheless have modern interiors whilst keeping the outside olde worlde . WCBC do not seem to be capable of any flair to keep the markets attractive to tenants and public.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Level crossing safety plea to North Wales holidaymakers this Easter

News

Three ‘never events’ reported at health board during February

News

Clwyd South MS welcomes plans for baby loss certificates for bereaved parents

News

More detail on club accounts as owners will ‘continue to offer minority equity positions to strategic partners’

News

Turnover up 75% as Wrexham AFC say ‘losses shouldnt be repeated’ as payroll nears £7m

News

Lasit Spearheads a Clean Revolution: Laser Technology Redefines Industrial Cleaning

News