Penycae Community Centre – Difficult Decisions Lie

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Penycae Community Centre – Difficult Decisions Lie

• Author

Nen
    Participant

[quote quote=140337]Thanks for posting up the link Rob. I was trying to copy/paste in the relevant part from the PDF on my phone last night, but it was proving to be a pain.

The whole thing just doesn’t add up. The implication is that disused community centres are where the cost savings will be found – then used as a justification to transfer, sell off or demolish etc… Penycae community centre building that is in daily use.

How can they state that something ia disused when a daily playgroup runs in there? Along with several other weekly functions.[/quote]

I think you just need to ask the Council which CC they mean rather than speculate and post on Facebook. I still think it will mean the other one – the one that is actually in Penycae Ward and that is disused as far as it’s intended purpose – it may simply be that the Council has decided it would rather demolish it and sell the land in order to get the cash now rather than rent and rates spread over several years.

Nen
    Participant

I should also have said…if it is the Community Centre where the playgroup is held then the Council should absolutely be held to account if they are lying in the consultation document, in fact I’d go so far as to say that the consultation would need to be restarted.

Matt
    Participant

[quote quote=140338]

Thanks for posting up the link Rob. I was trying to copy/paste in the relevant part from the PDF on my phone last night, but it was proving to be a pain.

The whole thing just doesn’t add up. The implication is that disused community centres are where the cost savings will be found – then used as a justification to transfer, sell off or demolish etc… Penycae community centre building that is in daily use.

How can they state that something ia disused when a daily playgroup runs in there? Along with several other weekly functions.

I think you just need to ask the Council which CC they mean rather than speculate and post on Facebook. I still think it will mean the other one – the one that is actually in Penycae Ward and that is disused as far as it’s intended purpose – it may simply be that the Council has decided it would rather demolish it and sell the land in order to get the cash now rather than rent and rates spread over several years.[/quote]

All I did on the defacto Penycae group of over 1,700 members – so the easiest way to ask my local community was this ask the following question – after comments about the community centre were repeated in the Leader: “This article is confusing it states there are plans to transfer or demolish/dispose of Penycae community centre because it is disused, which is obviously not the case. Is there an old community centre somewhere?”

http://www.oldleaderlivestory.co.uk/home/2017/11/09/gallery/no-sacred-cows-in-budget-promises-wrexham-council-leader-99383/?ut=20171109084355975

Logic would dictate that asking a sensible question on a social media site where people who have local knowledge is the first port of call. The resulting further information from respected members of the community council and also from the playgroup leaders who I know personally as my daughter recently attended, has pushed me to ask further questions so that I can seek a clear answer for everyone concerned.

It clearly shows a fault of the council’s delivery of information that no-one can clarify which community centre is under threat. It is in mine and the community’s best interests to seek clarity. If people were to just sit and rest on their laurels we’d have lost Plas Madoc leisure centre. So you’ll have to excuse me for not blindly trusting the council in terms of acting in the best faith and interests of the community.

Matt
    Participant

[quote quote=140339]I should also have said…if it is the Community Centre where the playgroup is held then the Council should absolutely be held to account if they are lying in the consultation document, in fact I’d go so far as to say that the consultation would need to be restarted.[/quote]

Well I certainly agree with you on that. Which is why it will be interesting what the outcome is. I was expecting someone to turn round and say – “yes, that’s the old community centre they are talking about and there are plans in place to have the local community council to take over the running of the current working centre” – but those involved locally have stated no agreement has yet been made with the council to ensure that it remains open.

Anyway my next line of constructive enquiry is to get in touch with Cllr Philĺips and Lowe to see what information they have.

D R
    Keymaster

Just a note: Had a clarification on this from Wrexham Council, who said the consultation is in relation to the centre on Hall Street in Penycae.

Matt
    Participant

[quote quote=140406]Just a note: Had a clarification on this from Wrexham Council, who said the consultation is in relation to the centre on Hall Street in Penycae.

[/quote]

Thanks for the clarification Darryl, this is very much what everyone in the community suspected. Which begs the question how can the consultation document have been allowed to contain a statement which was a blatant lie? If they are lying about this, what else have they been dishonest about?

Nen
    Participant

[quote quote=140438]

Just a note: Had a clarification on this from Wrexham Council, who said the consultation is in relation to the centre on Hall Street in Penycae.

Thanks for the clarification Darryl, this is very much what everyone in the community suspected. Which begs the question how can the consultation document have been allowed to contain a statement which was a blatant lie? If they are lying about this, what else have they been dishonest about?[/quote]

Thing is, I think I voted “agree” with that proposal in the consultation exercise – selling disused buildings seems a no brainer. I’m sure others will have done the same. Now they will be able to put a tick next to that proposal – “has public support”

flipper
    Participant

It is the one next to the pub, it’s become apparent this evening that the community centre is indeed going to be taken over by a trust and not going to be disposed of which comes as a huge relief not only to myself but I’m sure to everyone else in Penycae, I believe many over the last year have been extremely proactive in order that the centre will survive and serve us all in the future. WELL DONE EVERYONE

Council Watcher
    Participant

I hope whoever is taking it over have a full building survey carried out first and don’t find they have signed up for a building liability because the Council have not even maintained the building to meet Health and Safety requirements. Speak to those involved with Splashmagic about the works they needed to do just to comply and get the door reopens on a building the Council left in ‘working order’.
    Seek advice from other Centre Mangement that have taken over a Council property and make sure the Community Council will under right some of the ongoing costs.
    Don’t take the word of the Council – its easy for them to pass a building over that then fails as it distances them from the closure.
    Look how much work has been done before on Centres that are in the Wards of some Councillors that may have influence.

alynpen-y-cae
    Participant

Can I just clarify this point for everyone, there was a meeting of the Community Centre team yesterday also attended by Community Councillors, more people have volunteered to support this project. The difficult decisions document is not lying, there was an error made when it was printed. If the Management Committee and others had not taken the time to put forward a rescue plan and create a Charitable Trust to run the Community Centre then sadly the comment would have been correct. The Management Committee and Pen-Y-Cae Community Council are working with Wrexham Council to ensure that the building is transferred to the trust with a pepper corn rent. Thank you to all who attended last night’s meeting it saw the departure of one of the driving forces Mr. Edwyn Evans who is leaving the community but also new members joining the existing committee members. There are some very committed people in our village. Alyn Thomas Chair Pen-Y-Cae Community Council

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Saturday’s Wrexham Artisan Market to be ‘showcase’ of local and national products

News

Rare newts thriving after north east Wales pond restoration

News

Plans Submitted to Create Studio Flat Above Wrexham Fast Food Restaurant

News

Football Banning Order issued to Wrexham man for ‘pyro offences’

News

Ambulance Service ‘expecting the Bank Holiday period to be a busy one for us’

News

Reminder to check for Schools Essentials Grant before window closes at end of May

News