Pensions for Councilors ratepayers pay 26%

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Pensions for Councilors ratepayers pay 26%

• Author

CarolThomas
    Participant

Has anyne seen the FOI https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/council_member_pensions_andf_sta?nocache=incoming-625661#incoming-625661
    this outlines that Council Members are having 26% of their salery/allowances paid into a Pension Fund paid for by Ratepayers! Councilors have to pay 6%
    How many thread contributors have anywhere near this level paid into their pension fund by their employer?
    Why should Ratepayers pay so much, this is daylight robbery of Public Sector funding.

CerysHughes
    Participant

No wonder Rob Dutton has such a big house in swanky Erddig!

28k last year plus gets another 7k in his pension pot.

Am i right in thinking under Osbourne’s new tax plan, he can get access to that 7k now, same with the 6% and pay a lower rate of tax than his council employees?

So he actually earned 35k last year, not 28k!

Maureen Gray
    Participant

Again, but in English please??

CerysHughes
    Participant

last year Rob Dutton got a 28k wage from the council
    and just over 7K contributed into his pension pot by the council
    He contributed himself roughly another £500 from his 28k wage.

I think the new pension tax rules means…
    Rob Dutton could now draw that £7,500 out of his pension fund, because he’s over retirement age (putting it politely)

So Rob Dutton’s actual renumeration from council is over 35k, not 28k.

wrexview
    Participant

Why are there only 25 Councillors contributing if they terms are so generous?

PhilWynn
    Participant

@CarolThomas 19609 wrote:

Has anyne seen the FOI https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/council_member_pensions_andf_sta?nocache=incoming-625661#incoming-625661
    this outlines that Council Members are having 26% of their salery/allowances paid into a Pension Fund paid for by Ratepayers! Councilors have to pay 6%
    How many thread contributors have anywhere near this level paid into their pension fund by their employer?
    Why should Ratepayers pay so much, this is daylight robbery of Public Sector funding.

Carol – when elected back in 2008 as the County Councillor for the Bynyffynnon ward I saw my monthly salary as an allowance to make good the loss of earnings from my private sector job. I thought it wrong then as I do now to benefit from the significant rate-payer paid pension contribution, as my position as a CC is in my eyes meant to be a vocation and not a profession.

As such I am one of the non-members of the Council’s pension scheme.

That said since losing my private sector job back in April 2012 I have considered taking advantage of the pension scheme, if only for the death-in-service benefits but for reason given I have resisted joining.

For an informed debate those members in the pension scheme do make a private contribution each month.

There is a wider debate as to whether all politicians at any level ought to reflect on whether they are carrying out a vocation and not a profession and as such should by statute remove themselves as beneficiaries of a very generous pension rights, under-written by you the tax-payer.

Cllr Phil Wynn

CarolThomas
    Participant

Clr Wynn thank you for a view from ‘the other side’– I did mention in the original post that Councilors had to contribute 6% themselves.
    I am sure the car dealers and holiday companies will have afield day when counties merge with lots of councilors losing their role and then taking lump sums out of the Pension pot.
    What is immoral about all this is that we the ratepayers are being hoodwinked when statement about how much a Councilor gets never mentions pension values.
    How can an allowance suddenly because a wae for the calculation of the pension?

wxm
    Participant

If the full Council held 12 separate debates, on webcast, to review each area of the budget published in its accounts, all these issues should readily be made public, and the full Council would have to consider the effectiveness and appropriateness of each line of expenditure:

Central Services to the Public
    Cultural and Related Services
    Environmental and Regulatory Services
    Planning Services
    Children’s and Education Services
    Highways and Transport Services
    Local Authority Housing and Other Housing Services
    Adult Social Care
    Corporate and Democratic Core
    Non Distributed Costs
    Other Operating Expenditure
    Finance and Investment Income and Expenditure

I appreciate I’ve made this point before, and some responses have been that it is to difficult to understand. BUT, if you split the Council spending into these 12 subjects, not only will councillors have a lot more time to publicly debate them in 12 separate webcasts, many residents who have expertise in these areas will have the opportunity to listen in and to comment.

BenjaminM
    Participant

And this is relevant to Pension contributions because???

wxm
    Participant

@BenjaminM 19692 wrote:

And this is relevant to Pension contributions because???

Reading the accounts, the following are expenditure in the four sections of:
    Corporate and Democratic Core
    Non Distributed Costs
    Other Operating Expenditure
    Finance and Investment Income and Expenditure

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Wales’ fire authorities lack accountability amid harassment allegations, Senedd hears

News

Closure plan for Welshpool and Caernarfon Air Ambulance bases confirmed – with new base planned for ‘middle of North Wales’

News

Trading Standards warning over Facebook user “fraudulently advertising events locally”

News

The Ultimate Guide to Nickelodeon Resort Punta Cana

News

The Essential Guide to User Acceptance Testing (UAT)

News

Ken Skates outlines plans to improve Transport for Wales services in Wrexham and beyond

News