Paving in King Street

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Paving in King Street

• Author

johnhoppy
    Participant

I think most of us will get used to the colour scheme in due course, and it will probably look quite good when its finished, but I for one question the logic at a time of austerity the justification of the WAG finding the funds for schemes such as this when councils are at the same time being told to cut back on front line services.

shaun123
    Participant

People just love to have a moan at everything the council does to try to improve the area!

BenjaminM
    Participant

Nicely put Shaun. The only difference between your post and mine is that you have not been called an ‘idiotic troll’
    Take note Rondetto, is Shaun an idiotic troll or do you intend to retract?

Born Acorn
    Participant

It’s a free improvement that otherwise would be somewhere else.

Haven’t seen it myself but the place did need a spruce up. I’d rather they have extended the red brick “theme” for consistency though. Area could look a bit drab with all that grey.

Liam
    Participant

I take umbrage at the claim that anyone who doesn’t agree with how WCBC spends money just ‘loves to have a moan’. I’d like to think it’s because when we do have money to spend people want to see it used in the correct way rather than squandered. The problems King Street businesses face won’t be fixed by new pavements and benches. I also agree with John’s point about why WAG and in this case the EU are offering money for such projects when it could be better used protecting frontline services.

The cuts faced by WCBC will be greater than £34m we are told. With that in mind I hope all spending will be strongly scrutinised.

Philip Osborne
    Participant

I quite like it. I think it’s the nearest we’re going to get to the European style of pavements, which look stunning, but without the expense of hiring true craftsmen.

IMAGE LINK HERE: http://anotefrombrazil.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/img_4594.jpg

It doesn’t suit all of the buildings in that area … but there’s such a variety of buildings from the early red-brick ones, to the 50s concrete ones, to the cladding covered bus station, whatever you chose wouldn’t suit all of the buildings. Maybe it’s time some of the buildings were updated to match the floor, rather than matching the floor to the tired, outdated appearance of the buildings!

Philip Osborne
    Participant

Sorry … thought the picture would resize to fit, but instead it seems to have stayed big and broken the layout, and I can’t reach the “Edit” button now … maybe a mod can fix for me.

BenjaminM
    Participant

Liam, you are quite wrong if you think that the reason the moaners are being identified is because they complain about the way WCBC spends money, it goes far deeper than that.
    If you care to take time out to look, you will see that virtually everything that goes on that has the most tenuous connection to the Council, is castigated and pilloried to far beyond the pail. In addition, it is absolutely wrong that individual Councillors are targeted for special mention, by a limited few.
    As to the second point regarding new pavements and benches not solving the problems that businesses face, I must totally agree with you.
    Those problems can only be solved by the businesses themselves by offering the right product or service at the right price. However much your sympathy lies with them, if it was the responsibility of the Council to sort businesses out, there would ostensibly be no vacant properties in Wrexham town centre.
    That responsibility lies firmly with the traders. I believe this to be a case of where the old saying ‘physician heal thyself’ comes into play where everyone else is to blame for their woes.

thunderbirdskid
    Participant

But don’t you think BenjaminM there is an element within WCBC that continually fail to listen to the end users…The community and its local traders. Over the last couple of months there has been much discussion on all media outlets about how to regenerate the town centre. Then smack in the middle of this the parking charges go up! To me thats not very joined up. Forget what the professionals say….doubling the carpark charge will not make me want to increase my visits to the town, quite the opposite in fact.

The Brymbo Spine is another area, actually I feel slightly uncomfortable about that one, personally to me as a resident of Wrexham, it doesn’t feel right….Not sure why, perhaps because it involves large sums of money with commercial interests involved.

Use of social media and generally opening up the councils business to public scrutiny is another area where they drag their feet.

I get your point about negative stories and this potentially is one of those. What would help is perhaps Wrexham.Com sending along a tea/boy girl with a camera and take a decent long shot of the slabs and local area, so at least we get a better idea.

Alunh
    Participant

I haven’t got a gripe about the paving Benjamin but redevelopments can take their toll. When I owned ‘Phase One’ along King Street, I had representatives from the Council come and explain what they were going to do along King Street. There would be pain and then gain. The pain would come in the form of the total upheaval in the street, the gain the benefits that would accrue after the development.

Unfortunately, the development never contained the state of the art shopping promise outlined whilst the sheer upheaval strained every sinew of every business in the area. There was no gain only pain and most of the shops that had traded in that street disappeared quite rapidly. That development took perhaps 50% off my turnover for well over 12 months and that type of ‘short term’ loss could not be sustained- at least not by me.

Looking back, if people who have their entire livelihood bound up in the type of decisions made by Wrexham Council have a gripe, then perhaps you will understand where they are coming from.

Many of the contributors on this site have their entire future bound up in what the Council do or do not do

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Wrexham Council set to decide on 20mph ‘adjustments’ which ‘begin from September’

News

Wales’ fire authorities lack accountability amid harassment allegations, Senedd hears

News

Closure plan for Welshpool and Caernarfon Air Ambulance bases confirmed – with new base planned for ‘middle of North Wales’

News

Trading Standards warning over Facebook user “fraudulently advertising events locally”

News

The Ultimate Guide to Nickelodeon Resort Punta Cana

News

The Essential Guide to User Acceptance Testing (UAT)

News