Patient treatment needs utmost priority

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Patient treatment needs utmost priority

• Author

wxm
    Participant

As a community, we have written in these forums so many ways about the impact on patients and human life as treatment is not operating as it should – whether a list of 15,000 people, or ambulances queued outside A&E. We need a positive debate now in public, as a community, and we have to support those who have the ability to change things for the better of all. This starts by harnessing the competencies of doctors & nurses?

99DylanJones
    Participant

Wholeheartedly agree that it is front line staff that live the work day in day out who can have the ideas to tackle issues. Managers should listen to their staff and nit assume consultants (not medical) need to be brought in to advise when they have ever worked on the front line service delivery.

BenjaminM
    Participant

“Harnessing the competencies of doctors and nurses?” What ARE you on about?
    Are you implying that they are not pulling their weight and the fault lies with them? I sincerely hope not.
    The real problem stems from insufficient funding to Health Boards from the Welsh Assembly as the BMA and the Royal College of Nursing have highlighted on occasions too numerous to mention. If they as a collective are unable to influence the decisions of the unnecessary Welsh Assembly, what on earth do you expect to achieve by debating the issue on this forum?
    Probably the same influence that was made on WCBC by the incessant monologues, sorry, debates, that were made when WCBC were setting the Council Tax for 2014/15.
    Perhaps we should boycott the facilities until conditions improve. Yes, that would show them we mean business!

99DylanJones
    Participant

Apologies if anyone thought I was implying the nurses and Doctors were not pulling their weight far from it. I see their knowledge and expertise as paramount when managers look to identify ways of dealing with the pressures- unfortunately so often ‘business consultants’ are brought in to assess a situation and present a solution to the management without a significant level if discussion with the key staff who often have ideas to improve working practices but they are never listened to. There is a massive tree from ward level to the Board room and lots of reports in which ideas and possible solutions can be lost which must be so demoralizing for the staff who feel they are not listened to..
    Benjamin you are right that action should occur and not just debate but as a society we seem to now take so much lying down and rarely feel passionate to stand up and be counted. We can of course din things at the ballot box but with an average of less than 30% of people bothering how do we get people motivated — any ideas

BenjaminM
    Participant

Whilst I sympathise with the fact that some patients are subject to lengthy delays before commencement of treatment, the sensationalisation of headline statistics says nothing about the urgency of the procedure that the patient is referred for.
    Granted, the patient wishes to be seen at the earliest possible opportunity, but as time passes by, additional patients are referred, whose condition may be in need of more urgent attention, so slippage is almost inevitable.
    Hospital admissions, where there is an urgent need for treatment, is to the best of my knowledge, functioning to a high degree.
    The main delays occur in the A&E departments because most certainly, people attend there as a first port of call, rather than taking the most appropriate route for treatment.
    I remember some time ago referring to the ‘pyramid of treatment’ on one of these threads which starts at the base with self medication, consulting the local pharmacist, the help line etc, etc with A&E being at the pinnacle of the triangle ie as the last resort. Posters to this affect are located in surgeries, pharmacies etc but people take no notice of them, hence overfull emergency departments with ensuing lengthy delays.
    So rather than instigating a ‘positive debate, in public as a community’ the answer to a major part of the problem is for each of us, as individuals, to ask ourselves “do I really need to attend A&E or is there a more appropriate option open to me?” I am even further convinced that the introduction of a charge for what are essentially, time wasters would see a decline in the number of ambulances having to queue to offload patients who actually do require the services of medical staff.

zinger
    Participant

I certainly believe that anyone who is drunk and has an accident should have to pay.

thunderbirdskid
    Participant

Get the GP issues sorted, that is one big part of the problem. I’ve recently moved as a patient from a struggling, understaffed, overburdened surgery with huge footprint, serving far to many people. To a smaller better utilised village GP. What a difference.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Drug driver jailed after fatal Johnstown road traffic collision

News

Multi-million pound investment to transform Old Library into “creative industries powerhouse”

News

The Adventure of Discovery: Why Field Trips Matter for Learning

News

Senedd rejects legal requirement for residential outdoor education in schools

News

New solar farm project planned in Wrexham could power over 22,000 homes

News

Welsh Affairs Committee Rob & Ryan comment ‘taken out of context’ says Deputy Leader of Council

News