parking in Wrexham town centre

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum parking in Wrexham town centre

• Author

michellecook
    Participant

There are people that abuse the badges, that infuriates me. There is also a need for these spaces though. My mum is disabled and therefore has a blue badge, she doesn’t have a car so doesn’t get free tax and insurance. I’m her carer and don’t claim the tax on her behalf, wish I did sometimes would save me £240 a year, also insurance at £500+. At first glance you wouldn’t necessarily realise she is disabled, she has rheumatoid arthritis which has attacked her knees, hands and eyes. Walking is painful and slow and she can’t see properly so we need to be as close to shops as possible.

Another issue that winds me up is when people are waiting for a space and block the entire roadway rather than drive around and look for one. Island Green is especially bad for this.

NJones
    Participant

@BenjaminM 4095 wrote:

Too many blue badges around now-young people who are not disabled or even eligible for them are abusing the system.

As a last thought, if I park on a double yellow for example, I am causing a hazard yet if you have a blue badge, you are not.

There are such thing as ‘unseen disabilities’ don’t judge a book by its cover. I know a young man who drives a porsche and holds a blue badge as he lost a leg whilst serving with the armed forces. This limits his mobility somewhat but he regularly gets abuse from small minded people who think that just because he isn’t in a wheelchair he’s abusing the use of badge.

As a person who actually worked on the blue badge consultation process a few years back I can tell you that if a blue badge holder is parked and causing a hazard they can be booked like everyone else.

zinger
    Participant

I am also a carer & look after what you could classify as an unseen disability. I, like you Michelle don’t make claims. We don’t venture into town. We use the badge for hospital parking only. There is though abuse of the system.

MAGgy
    Participant

I have to agree about parking charges for blue badge holders, why do they get it free?
    Don’t get me started on the whole blue badge argument, I was diagnosed with cancer last year and wanted to get one for just the few months I was having chemo as I couldn’t walk very far and was feeling very ill, i couldn’t get one because the condition wasn’t permanent.

chrisR
    Participant

Sorry I didn’t take your advice – parked there today for 15 minutes and got a £50 fine – why because we walked off the car park site !!!!
    Won’t be using shops around there in a hurry
    Its just a money making scam

thewayneinspain
    Participant
    chrisR;4105 wrote:
    Sorry I didn’t take your advice – parked there today for 15 minutes and got a £50 fine – why because we walked off the car park site !!!!

Don’t pay it.

Rob should be able to give more info and provide a link about this kind of thing.

Remember to write a letter to all the shops too!

Andy
    Participant

@chrisR 4105 wrote:

Do not pay private parking charge scams.

FightBack Forums -> Private Parking Tickets & Clamping

Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking – MoneySavingExpert.com Forums

michellecook
    Participant

@MAGgy 4102 wrote:

I have to agree about parking charges for blue badge holders, why do they get it free?
    Don’t get me started on the whole blue badge argument, I was diagnosed with cancer last year and wanted to get one for just the few months I was having chemo as I couldn’t walk very far and was feeling very ill, i couldn’t get one because the condition wasn’t permanent.

That irks me as well, there should be a facility for providing a temporary badge. I’ve heard of a few stories like yours, beggars belief sometimes.

MAGgy
    Participant

Don’t pay the parking ticket, it’s a scam.
    There are a number of websites that explain why you shouldn’t pay it but basically the contract for parking is made by the driver, they have to prove who the driver was and not just the owner of the car.

MAGgy
    Participant

Just watching a piece on parking on BBC Breakfast, they are saying that councils need to look at parking charges as shoppers move away from the town centres to paces such as the Trafford Centre that provide free parking

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

National Playday returning to Wrexham for a fun-filled day of activities!

News

Apartment plans for former Johnstown shop

News

Wrexham Council awaits Welsh Government guidance on 20MPH changes and welcomes community input

News

New role for Big Nev as Gŵyl Wal Goch returns to Wrexham for 2024!

News

Hydro Announces £13m Investment in State-of-the-Art Scrap Sorting Facility at Wrexham Plant

News

Fearless fundraisers to scale their biggest challenge yet for children’s hospices

News