parking in Wrexham town centre

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum parking in Wrexham town centre

• Author

MAGgy
    Participant

I recently visited Dunelm Mill but felt unable to browse round the shop due to large notices on their doors stating I may get a parking ticket if I stay too long. Most of the car park is empty so I guess the signs are working or people are getting tickets. I read in the Leader about the lady who got a ticket outside Home Bargains, are Wrexham encouraging people to shop in the town centre? NO
    You can’t even park at the Royal Mail to pick a parcel up

What is the matter in Wrexham?
    I now go shopping in Chester and Broughton where I can park free of charge
    No wonder Wrexham town centre is dying

zinger
    Participant

What they don’t seem to appreciate is that sometimes people may just need to nip into the bank but then realise that there was something that they could have purchased if they had time.
    I was caught up in a bank a while ago by someone wanting to sell me a business account which cost me £60 parking fine because I went over my limit.
    When visiting the PO, I paid to park at the station in order to pick up a large envelope which had insufficient postage on it, only to find that it contained advertising material. Obviously I didn’t know until I opened it, so it cost me £1+ for rubbish plus car park fee.
    Well done Wrexham. I can’t afford to shop here.

thewayneinspain
    Participant

Not sure what the parking charges will be after April 1st, but the Peoples’ Market is free after midday.

The easiest way is not to shop dunelm and go to a local dealer who is more likely to spend more of his revenue in and around the town.

MAGgy
    Participant

I wish there was alternatives to the larger stores but there are only a few independent traders left in Wrexham. The town centre is being turned into one large Poundland.

Welsh Dresser
    Participant

@MAGgy 4078 wrote:

I wish there was alternatives to the larger stores but there are only a few independent traders left in Wrexham. The town centre is being turned into one large Poundland.

I have to agree with you there. We have plenty of cheap shops but some of us want better quality items. Dunelm carries the choice and quality I look for so I do shop there. Anyone know an alternative in Wrexham?

jimbow
    Participant

@MAGgy 4078 wrote:

What alternative shops would you like to see?

Welsh Dresser
    Participant

I would like a good sized department store. Unfortunately Wrexham seems to attract the smaller versions of shops. BHS in Broughton and Chester are much bigger than ours with more choice and a larger range of goods. I don’t mean just clothes but household goods and electricals. I would also like the independant traders to be in one place instead of having to root around and find them. We know we have the markets but wouldn’t it be nice if the High Street had a row of interesting shops rather than the same old names. Every town looks the same now.

Huw
    Participant

My Wife has a works car park that we use (when other people don’t rudely pinch the paid for places) but I’d still rather shop in Chester. Sad I know, but true. Wrexham town centre is slowly becoming a ghost town thanks to the pathetic Eagles Meadow site.

BenjaminM
    Participant

Slightly off topic I know, but I do object strongly to Council run car parks allowing free unlimited parking to blue badge holders whilst everyone else is required to pay. Surely if one is able to walk from a car park to the shops, they have the ability to put their hand into their pocket. Free road tax, ability to park anywhere with immunity, isn’t that enough? Too many blue badges around now-young people who are not disabled or even eligible for them are abusing the system. A crackdown on them would be more appropriate tha targeting other motorists for minor infringements.
    As a last thought, if I park on a double yellow for example, I am causing a hazard yet if you have a blue badge, you are not.
    Just keep your eyes open when you walk around town and I am absolutely certain my comments will be borne out.

zinger
    Participant

I do agree with you. There is a lot of abuse of this system. Have you seen how many disabled parking spaces there are everywhere? About a quarter of Sainsbury’s shoppers must be disabled. Perhaps there could be special free days eg 11am until 3pm on Tuesdays, Thursdays & Sundays. Or would that be an infringement of Human Rights?

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Plans Submitted to Create Studio Flat Above Wrexham Fast Food Restaurant

News

Football Banning Order issued to Wrexham man for ‘pyro offences’

News

Ambulance Service ‘expecting the Bank Holiday period to be a busy one for us’

News

Reminder to check for Schools Essentials Grant before window closes at end of May

News

Wrexham AFC Women Awarded first UEFA License and FAW Tier 1 License renews for 2024/25 Season

News

“Disrespectful” easter egg hunt in cemetery cancelled after backlash

News