Parking Charge Increase Proposal – Inc Change To Free Parking

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Parking Charge Increase Proposal – Inc Change To Free Parking

• Author

Rob
    Participant

@Born Acorn 9564 wrote:

Ah! Sorry, it was an example of my suggestion, not a current policy.

Only the O2 store does it at the moment.

Ah! It would be a great policy though.

How would it work though as its prepay ticket?

Alunh
    Participant

@Born Acorn 9564 wrote:

Ah! Sorry, it was an example of my suggestion, not a current policy.

Only the O2 store does it at the moment.

Good simple idea

wrexview
    Participant

Increased Car Park charges triggered by 85% occupancy? How do the Council define that? Are our Car Parks that full on Sundays and between 6pm and 9 am ?

zinger
    Participant

I was in Mold yesterday & I again thought how convenient the car park was to the town centre. I suppose not unlike Island Green. 20p for 3 hours ends the similarity. I told a shopkeeper that WCBC were putting up the car parks charges & when I said how much by, he said that they didn’t deserve shoppers.

Adam
    Participant

@Steve 9553 wrote:

Granted the car parks are not as expansive as some bigger towns and cities in the UK, the difference? THEY HAVE SHOPPERS IN THE TOWN CENTRE.

I think perhaps we’re trying to make the same point here – raising parking charges doesn’t appear very smart when a town is already struggling to attract visitors, however, the charges themselves clearly aren’t the deciding factor for shoppers.

A few people have mentioned travelling to Cheshire Oaks as it is free parking, which is a bit misleading: at 40mpg, the 40 mile round trip will cost over £6 in fuel. Perhaps what it is implied is “I would rather pay £6 fuel to spend all day at Cheshire Oaks than £3 parking to do the same in Wrexham”.

And that’s the key; it is what people perceive as value for money. Or even value for ‘inconvenience’.

A couple of weeks ago we spent 20 mins in traffic waiting to get into Shrewsbury, parked well over half a mile away from the first shop we wanted to visit and spent the day dodging in between traffic in the non-pedestrianised centre. But we didn’t care a jot as it’s a great place to shop, eat, walk, relax… several thousand other people agreed.

Steve
    Participant

@Adam 9668 wrote:

I think perhaps we’re trying to make the same point here – raising parking charges doesn’t appear very smart when a town is already struggling to attract visitors, however, the charges themselves clearly aren’t the deciding factor for shoppers.

A few people have mentioned travelling to Cheshire Oaks as it is free parking, which is a bit misleading: at 40mpg, the 40 mile round trip will cost over £6 in fuel. Perhaps what it is implied is “I would rather pay £6 fuel to spend all day at Cheshire Oaks than £3 parking to do the same in Wrexham”.

And that’s the key; it is what people perceive as value for money. Or even value for ‘inconvenience’.

A couple of weeks ago we spent 20 mins in traffic waiting to get into Shrewsbury, parked well over half a mile away from the first shop we wanted to visit and spent the day dodging in between traffic in the non-pedestrianised centre. But we didn’t care a jot as it’s a great place to shop, eat, walk, relax… several thousand other people agreed.

Agree (and just noticed my typo in the original post).

If I NEED to go into town say to the bank, to deposit business cheques I may wait a few extra days until I have somewhere else to visit so that paying for parking is ‘worth while’.

As you point out it does not make sense financially to save 60p and drive to Cheshire Oaks, but it’s somewhere worthwhile visiting for an afternoon.

So as you say if its £6 to Cheshire Oaks and lets say £1.50 into Wrexham and Parking, many would rather go to Cheshire Oaks. However the shopper effected is the one that wants to pop into town for 40 min and while walking through may pop into a few other shops on the way through.

So at the end of the day £2.00 vs all day free parking as an extreme example will not fill Wrexham with shoppers, however increasing the parking charge will not help the situation!

Born Acorn
    Participant
    Rob;9605 wrote:
    Ah! It would be a great policy though.

How would it work though as its prepay ticket?

The Nag’s Head pub has the machine print two tickets – one for the window, one to present to the guy behind the bar. He takes it, and then knocks the price off whatever you buy!

Something similar could work in a retail environment.

Rob
    Participant

Following on from that, due to the nature of the pay and display it is not as though the tickets can be taken with you to be redeemed for a discount.

Tricky one!

gogledd
    Participant

I was reading on Facebook the Labour manifesto that on election they would reduce parking charges to attract shoppers.

Following his appointment as Leader, Councillor Neil Rogers was quoted in an article in the Leader newspaper as saying:

“We want to start having dialogue about the situation concerning car parks. It is high on my agenda…

“We fought against the plans that the last administration had for new parking charges. We now want to see what we can do to make things as attractive for shoppers and residents as possible, with car parking very important in relation to that.”

“It is important the businesses of this town are given the chance to prosper,” he said. “We value the service they are providing for the town and are keen to help them in any way we can.

“Town centres are struggling across the length and breadth of Britain and we have to find ways we can help Wrexham town centre prosper.

“We need to work together to find the best way forward regarding car parking.”

Remember this the next time you meet your councillor or have to cast your vote.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Fearless fundraisers to scale their biggest challenge yet for children’s hospices

News

Plans submitted for microbrewery on Wrexham farm

News

Warning issued after ‘lithium battery’ causes fire at Wrexham recycling centre

News

Demand for Welsh courses ‘outstripping capacity’

News

New economy minister sets out his priorities for Wales

News

7 Facts You Should (or Shouldn’t) Go For a Ph.D.

News