Parking Charge Increase Proposal – Inc Change To Free Parking

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Parking Charge Increase Proposal – Inc Change To Free Parking

• Author

Rob
    Participant

@Born Acorn 9531 wrote:

Eagles Meadow should have a parking validation scheme. I know the O2 store does it as there were signs saying so, but all the EM shops should do it.

Buy something in a shop there or use the Cinema or Bowling and you can get your parking refunded.

I never knew that!

With Chester losing all cinemas it could be worth promoting that fact to people in Cheshire – and introduce them to Wrexham!

Steve
    Participant

My son made use of the free after mid day in the market to park for Yale and also when working in the afternoon (working in a shop for 2 to 4 hours, random days on minimum wage, does not leave much money to pay for petrol, parking etc.)

Well they really are trying to kill Wrexham town off, one of the few things that may have helped would have been free parking 24 / 7 if only done for 12 months to see if people would then be willing to shop in the town centre, but this is beyond belief.

Granted the car parks are not as expansive as some bigger towns and cities in the UK, the difference? THEY HAVE SHOPPERS IN THE TOWN CENTRE.

I drove through Oswestry this morning and they have far more people in the town than Wrexham, they appear to charge more than Wrexham currently do. Obviously people are willing to pay and go shopping there.

Steve
    Participant

@Rob 9551 wrote:

With Chester losing all cinemas it could be worth promoting that fact to people in Cheshire – and introduce them to Wrexham!

It’s a nice thought, however I suspect they will do what some Wrexham people have done in the past and go to Cheshire Oaks Vue.

Rondetto
    Participant

Mold was heaving this morning, I paid 20p for three hours parking and when we came from there, there wasn’t a space anywhere. The streets was packed with shoppers. Wrexham could take a leaf out of their book.

Alunh
    Participant

@BenjaminM 9533 wrote:

Alunh, perhaps my ‘inability to read’ bears a direct correlation to your inability to translate your thoughts into the written word in a coherent manner. Your rhetorical statement does you little credit.
    However, your first post clearly talks about attracting tourists and shoppers alike to the town centre, but when challenged on your assumptions, you deliberately muddy the water by trying to justify your post by including people travelling into the work environment.
    Workers have to come in to their place of employment irrespective of their mode of transport, but it not those you are concerned about. You, (as you have stated on occasions too numerous to mention) are concerned with people coming in to town to purchase goods from the towns’ stores.
    When posting, please bear in mind the ABC rule – ACCURACY, BREVITY and CLARITY. It may occasionally help to get your points across effectively.

You’ve lost me on the muddying of the waters Benjamin since the point being made was completely different to the other point being made.

Secondly, on the question of brevity, this is not Twitter. It is a medium where individuals post long or short pieces according to the issue at stake.

Thirdly, the response by you to my supposedly long piece was about the same length. The reality is that my style doesn’t suit your own approach. That’s life.

I suspect that across the entries that I’ve placed on here, there is sufficient coherence and I’m always comfortable about what I write, poor quality (that no doubt it will sometimes be) or good quality (that it will sometimes be).

Stick to the arguments and not the vacuous stuff.

Alunh
    Participant

@Rondetto 9555 wrote:

Mold was heaving this morning, I paid 20p for three hours parking and when we came from there, there wasn’t a space anywhere. The streets was packed with shoppers. Wrexham could take a leaf out of their book.

Quite so.

Alunh
    Participant

@BenjaminM 9533 wrote:

When posting, please bear in mind the ABC rule – ACCURACY, BREVITY and CLARITY. It may occasionally help to get your points across effectively.

Oh……and did I mention my golden rule Benjamin…….never be patronising

Born Acorn
    Participant
    Rob;9551 wrote:
    I never knew that!

Ah! Sorry, it was an example of my suggestion, not a current policy.

Only the O2 store does it at the moment.

BenjaminM
    Participant

Alunh, and you weren’t being patronising when you questioned my ability to read?
    For you to feel the need to come back with an addendum, I must have struck a raw nerve though, eh?

Alunh
    Participant

You are quite right on the first point Benjamin. Reading the comment, I did and apologise.

On the second, you are not. I always respond and will and do defend a position. No nerves jangled. That’s just me responding.

Going back to the Brevity argument. for example. Brevity is the enemy of what I want to do on Wrexham.Com forums. Brevity is for the soundbite merchants who don’t really want to get to the heart of a question, just score points off each other.

On the Car Parking logic, for example, there is a real need for in depth exploration. This is a complex question and we won’t get Wrexham Council to act logically if we merely throw out clichés.

Not so long ago, Wrexham Council were charging £4.00 for all day parking in the People’s Market. The Council philosophy was that this was a Revenue earner and that an aggregation of the charges could be put to public use. The logic of this is that other Public services provided by the Council would draw from the income stream and that could include anything form Leisure to Education to the Markets themselves.

When the £4.00 was dropped to £2.00 and then free parking after 12.00 there was presumably an income effect. This was presumably negative, though only the facts would tell me that. I am not at present privy to such facts. This also means that those services that were part funded by the income would have to go elsewhere for their money.

As a then Market trader, my main concern was foot-flow. This improved. As a trader, I clearly wanted to see that fact continue. I also wanted to see the Markets refurbished. Now here’s the thing. If the Council was to make the case that I can have free Car parking maintained or an expensive refurbishment, how should I react? I understand that the Council is strapped for cash and I understand what this means in practice. For me, this particular conundrum has to somehow be squared and I would expect the Council to do their best to investigate it and do their best. This might mean experimenting with free parking times, charge levels set and so on. I threw in the word Elasticity because it is only by evaluating the consequence of any given move that we can make progress.

What I have written above is long winded. I am long winded. I don’t try to do cliché though from time to time I will break my own rules. There are others who prefer throwing out simple statements. On this Benjamin, I would say that you did exactly that when you made your point about the future of the Markets. If you recall, you made some comment about them being out of their time.

The Markets and the Market shops number about 150 units+. They employ several hundred people. Because Wrexham has grown organically, the neighbouring streets depend on them to survive. This means the traders in all of Wrexham’s nooks and cranny streets including the one I currently occupy, Bank Street. The Markets go, the independent trading sector goes too. Clone town theoreticians- and do check them out- warn Councils and the public at large about the dangers of failing to keep a unique identity for a town. Why go to one town if it offers nothing different to another?

Wrexham has plenty to offer that is different to other towns but we are at a critical point. If the Markets fail, Wrexham fails. My shop alone pulls in people from all over the UK, online and through my shop. I employ 3 other humans who like working in an independent shop which prides itself on what it does. If the Markets go, my shop might go down with the ship.

As a business person, I do not do brevity. Brevity sucks. I do outcomes and try to solve problems. As I stated, this is not Twitter and I don’t tweet. This is a Forum designed to help move the town on. I, for example, love the Wayneinspain. I agree with some of what he says and I disagree with most of what he says (and how he says it). He loves Wrexham, however, and he debates people. He might be brief but he might not be. He always, however, has something useful to say.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Removing fly-tipping cost Wrexham Council £21,500 last year

News

Voter registration for May’s Police and Crime Commissioner elections closes today

News

Have your say on Wrexham Council’s online services!

News

Youngsters create new garden for Wrexham’s Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service

News

McElhenney And Reynolds Will Continue Wrexham Progress

News

Wrexham students dig in to create peace garden at local care home

News