Parking Charge Increase Proposal – Inc Change To Free Parking

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Parking Charge Increase Proposal – Inc Change To Free Parking

• Author

MP1953
    Participant

Absolutely clue less :(

lazyjack
    Participant

“Whilst it is acknowledged that inflated parking charges can act as a deterrent, charges which are too low can have a similar impact through increased congestion and a lack of available parking spaces.”

So, what they are saying is, hopefully by putting prices up, less people will come into Wrexham town centre and spend money. Wow, they really know how to help the retailers out when times are tough.

Why not offer say 60/90 mins free in all the council car parks ? Do they realise in Mold it costs just 20p for 3 hours parking ?

Rob
    Participant

@lazyjack 9464 wrote:

Do they realise in Mold it costs just 20p for 3 hours parking ?

In a way doing something like that that would be a bigger PR win than free for the hours stated – ‘Wrexham Offers 1p parking making it the cheapest in the UK’ etc !

morri58
    Participant

Early last week during the afternoon I walked through Regent St & Hope St & you could virtually count the amount of people in the street, increasing parking charges is certainly not going to improve the situation, feel sorry for the retailers, its madness.

Adam
    Participant

@lazyjack 9464 wrote:

Do they realise in Mold it costs just 20p for 3 hours parking ?

On the other hand, Shrewsbury costs £2.80 for 3 hours in Frankwell (much more expensive in the centre) and Chester is considerably more again.. both places are thriving.

My point being that parking charges (as well as accessibility and heavy traffic) themselves are not a barrier to people when a town already has much to offer.

However when you are trying to rebuild a town, higher parking charges are not going to help..

NJones
    Participant

I never pay for parking if I can help it. We pay enough to run cars as it is, so on the few occasions I need to shop I go to places like Broughton or Cheshire oaks. if I have to go into Wrexham its only ever for less than half an hour so I can park on the road free. WCBC- if you want to increase visitors to the town do something to attract them!

wrexview
    Participant

If the Council do go ahead with these increases I hope they include some ” specials” in the run up to Christmas. There are many alternatives Free Sundays, Free Late Nights ( Thursdays) , Early Bird ( free before 10 am), Free After Three on all car parks on Mondays in December, are just a few suggestions. The Christmas trading period is vital to many businesses survival and parking charges do play a part in where people go, Broughton and Cheshire Oaks are both free!

dewi73
    Participant

The car parks are still free in broughton, sealand rd & Cheshire oaks. Makes no difference to me. It’s cheaper to pay postage on amazon orders than pay Wrexham car park charges.

Rondetto
    Participant

Lazy Jack has got it right. We shop in Mold twice a week and pay just 20p to park for three hours.
    No wonder Mold is thriving while Wrexham is almost dead. The council are not encouraging shoppers to come here.
    I’d love to see them do as Mold does and see people flocking here to shop.
    Each time we are at Eagles Meadow, we pop into M&S and spend between £20 and £30 and it costs us £2 to park. We’re usually out of there in 10 minutes. Now that’s a rip off.

wrexview
    Participant

As pointed out above, traders in the town have to compete with the Internet shopper too!

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Multi-million pound investment to transform Old Library into “creative industries powerhouse”

News

The Adventure of Discovery: Why Field Trips Matter for Learning

News

Senedd rejects legal requirement for residential outdoor education in schools

News

New solar farm project planned in Wrexham could power over 22,000 homes

News

Welsh Affairs Committee Rob & Ryan comment ‘taken out of context’ says Deputy Leader of Council

News

New gym plans for Wrexham Industrial Estate could create 70 jobs

News